“Perfect Location”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews in Trip Advisor. The location is perfect for tourists and shoppers too! The hotel is walking distance to Roman Baths and Jane Austin centre. The 2 places we wanted to visit! We were already aware that there was a charge of £15 for parking which we still feel is very high! It’s okay if you are staying for a few days but for one night we felt it was high. The information on the reviews was correct that the charge is for in and out only once. We did not eat or order any drinks at the hotel as the prices seem to be on the high side. Since its centre of town there are lots of places to eat nearby. Check in and check out was simple no hassles at all. The staff were friendly. The room and the bathroom were clean and tidy and the heating working fine.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Afshan7
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton Bath City and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to the team.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Bath City.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

The room was nice. The service was good. Girl at the reception was very friendly. I was worried because of the bad reviews i read on here and was expecting something really dissaponting but it was the opposite. Plus the location was perfect. Walking distance to almost every attraction.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 January 2012

A fantastic location on the doorstep of all the shops, bars and restaurants. Easy to find and parking is directly below hotel in a multi storey where there is the arranged rate of £15 up until 8pm the following day of your stay. Service was fantastic and staff well trained and helpful. Rooms were well equipped with iron, hairdryer and tea and coffee. Things you don't always tend to find in hotel rooms any more. Rooms were a lovely size and very well decorated. A great breakfast greeted us in the morning with everything from continental to cooked. I wouldn't hesitate staying here again if I was to visit Bath.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DipsWales

Reviewed 7 January 2012

I expected more from a Hilton, and was a little disappointed. We booked it because it is one of the few places in Bath that allows a single night booking at weekends - most others demand a 2 or 3 night stay. But it's overpriced for the amenities offered. The location is good, only a few mins from shops and the thermal baths. Parking can be complex, but this is true for most of Bath.

Reception was tiny - seemed like an afterthought shoved into a corner of the lobby. Not enough staff, despite the large numbers of tour groups passing through - the queue to check in / out stretched round the lobby. Sheer numbers of people also made the lifts problematic - you could only get about 4 people in one, and they were sloooooow. So the queues for these streched round the lobby, intertwining with the queue for reception. This made the lobby a bit of a nightmare.

Check-in (once we got to the front of the queue) was fine. The room (once we negotiated the lifts) was OK - small but adequate for a night. Good bed, nice bathroom. Slightly cheap-feeling furniture for a Hilton - chipboard cupboards that were beginning to look scuffed and well-used. Slept well, no particular issues with noise. Breakfast wasn't great - I usually love Hilton breakfasts, but this wasn't worth the money. The coffee-shop and bar were all in one, and most of the time couldn't bothered to serve anyone - a bit more staff training required I think.

Overall, it was convenient, and as we only wanted to stay one night, we didn't have that much choice. But I think it was a bit overpriced - a few tweaks to the lobby and the staffing, and it could be much better.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Outinthemiddaysun

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our staff. Customer service training is a high priority and this has become a focus with the Departmental Trainers. I appreciate your point of view and this in turn can be used positively in our training sessions.

During November and December the hotel is extremely busy due to the Christmas Market in Bath taking place. I have today passed your feedback to the relevant Heads of Departments to ensure that adequate staffing is provided during our busy periods. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

Thank you for your feedback relating to breakfast, I understand that you felt this was not great and worth the money. I will certainly pass your comments over to the Chef. We generally receive a lot of compliments about our food.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

We visited this hotel during a period of hot weather and when we checked in, our room was unbearably hot. We mentioned this at reception and were straightaway given the option to move to another room. We chose to move to one that had been refurbished and had air-con, and it was sooo much better! It was much smaller but this didn't matter at all. It was all handled very efficiently and when we came back after dinner there were some chocolates in the room and a little card apologising for the inconvenience. We thought this was a lovely touch.

Room Tip: During hot weather swap space for air-con! Smaller refurbished rooms are very comfy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bestie70

Dear Sir/Madam

I was sorry to read that you experienced problems with your initial room allocation but pleased to note that our team were able to rectify this and offer you an alternative room. At present only 50 rooms within the hotel are without air-conditioning and we plan to address this during 2012.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

A Hilton I guess is a Hilton. The location is great and you know the base level fo service you will get when you stay here. The one in Bath is located very well and the rooms are good, typical of what you might expect. If you want no surprises then the Hilton could be the best place to stay in Bath, i would argue though there are ones with lots more character.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
kimBath, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

I appreciate your comments about the character of the hotel. I concede that the building, which was built in the early 70's, does not have the same appeal as the rest of Bath, which is known for it's beautiful English architecture.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed here with a group of friends over New Year and had a great time. Hotel is perfectly located as was close to shops etc. room was as you would expect with a lovely comfy bed and tea/coffee making facilities. Nice toiletries in bathroom which were replenished. The food was lovely including the Gala dinner New Years eve. Great selection for breakfast too. Would definately stay here again and would recommend for a new year celebration.

• Stayed: December 2011