“Highs and lows and sometimes less could be more...”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Hilton Bath City
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Highs and lows and sometimes less could be more...”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Superb central location - all attractions are in walking distance, still quiet and tranquil. Parking is possible at the nearby shopping centre at a surcharge which is a plus because Bath is notoriously bad for parking. We recommend to leave your car in place for the duration of your stay as you get charged again when going in and out. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful, service with a smile. However the room decor was well past its prime and could do with an update. We had the "Avon suite" which sounds grand, and in fact it could have been grand, if it hadn't been so stuffed full of furniture that there was hardly place for our suitcases. Do two people really need a dining table with 4 chairs, a writing desk with chair, two sofas with a coffee table, a side table and a total of three TVs??? This left very little storage space - there was one very small and almost inaccessible wardrobe crammed next to the huge bed. The windows cannot be opened and the room had a musty smell to it which the air conditioning could not get rid of. There were mouldy bits around the window frames. This is a total shame because this room could be fantastic - redecorated, half the furniture removed and a decent wardrobe put in. On the plus side, the separate shower area in the bathroom is brilliant and the restaurant is excellent, but for breakfast and dinner.

1 Thank docpetra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I wondered about booking a chain hotel in an historic city but after staying at the HIlton Bath City, I'm glad we did!

As a gold Hilton member, I've never been treated so well. There were little treats waiting in the room along with bottled water. The room was great, beds comfy and the breakfast was very good.

I've read some of the other reviews and can hardly believe they stayed at the same hotel. Although the one reviewer expecting slippers confused me...I never expect a hotel to provide me with slippers.

I think we did call down for something that was forgotten in the bathroom, but it wasn't a big deal since I can't seem to remember what it was.

The location cannot be beat. This was our first time in Bath and we wanted to be near all the sites, and we were.

We would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone visiting Bath.

We arrived around noon on a Friday (they were completely booked for the weekend) and they cheerfully locked our luggage away while we toured the city. When we returned around 4PM, they had delivered the luggage to our room. That was unexpected.

Incidently, I would recommend coming in early as we did and then take the 2PM Mayor's Honarary Tour of the city. This was a great tour and a good way to see the city...and it's free. Check under Bath-tours to get more info.

I noticed that some reviewers mentioned walking from the train station to the hotel. When we arrived at the train station and told the cab driver where we wanted to go, he was kind of snippy and said 'don't you know it's just a few minutes up the road?' We had him take us there anyway and I'm glad we did.

I checked the route out on mapquest and it's a little less then a mile, not to bad, but it's uphill (though not steep by any means) all the way. Also, the city streets are a little confusing, thank goodness they have 'you are here' maps everywhere. The sidewalks were packed with people, and really I couldn't see dragging our bags up those streets and through those crowds to the hotel. That's my opinion anyway.

To get back to the hotel...as the title of my review said...we loved it and would stay here again!

Wiltshire
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Bath City for a one night stay in Bath for a birthday.

Whilst from the outside this is an unattractive building the work that they have done (and are continuing) makes up for that.
The staff were all very helpful and would particulary single out George Howe who was extremely welcoming and helpful.

Inside the hotel has a comfortable modern feel and serves Costa coffee. There is free wifi in the lobby.

As it was a special occasion we booked a double deluxe room which was very clean and modern looking, if a little small. I have stayed in other standard double rooms in other hotels there are as good and cheaper.

If you want to explore Bath is hotel has an excellent location and there is parking next door, although this is £15 per day.

If you are staying here you might want to consider a room at the back of the hotel as there is a pub opposite the hotel which can be noisy.

We only experienced the restaurant at breakfast time but this is very attractive. The breakfast was very good which plenty of choice and many options available. Also the staff keep you topped up with orange juice etc.

Overall a good hotel, perhaps a little over priced, but excellent location and friendly staff.

2 Thank SamandPhilip
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

Attended an event at the Hilton Bath and was taken aback when I was asked to pay £7.50 for a medium sized glass of the house red.

• Stayed June 2012
St. Charles, MO
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My wife and I stayed four days at the Hilton hotel in Bath. The hotel was great and the staff was exceptional. We highly recommend this Hotel for a good central location--see Bath and the surrounding area: Glastonbury, Avebury, and Stonehenge!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My mom and I were perfectly comfortable staying here for a night, even though renovations were going on while we were there. Our room was clean and fully stocked (no problems like other reviewers have mentioned: we had all the shower gel AND tissues we needed!). We had a great view out of our 5th-floor window looking toward the Pulteney Bridge, and even though there were seagulls on the roof outside our window, there was little noise to bother us. The location is an easy walk from the train station and everything you'd want to see in the city center. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful: My mom was having some health issues and in the morning, the young woman at reception called the local medical center and set up an appointment for her, and was very sympathetic and understanding. I've stayed in many other Hiltons and this one is comparable in terms of value, amenities, and service. Would recommend!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I booked 2 Deluxe twin rooms for one night.

The positive side:
Hilton staff were friendly
Breakfast offers lots of food
Parking is available just under the hotel and costs you £15 for 24 hours
free WiFi at the ground floor
rooms are air conditioned

The negative side:
There were no slippers in any of the 2 rooms we've got. I once stayed at a normal twin room and there were slippers in there.
In every room's bathroom, there is one person supply of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and soap.
I don't know how two persons could share those 22ml toiletries.
There was no mouth wash.
There was no pen and paper in the room.
one room had only 2 ply of face tissue
one room had one killed spider smashed against the ceiling and another one was hanging dead in the corner
one bed sheet had two small dry blood stains.

I did call the room service and asked for tissue and also asked about the one-each of those tiny shampoos and shower gel and they confirmed that twin rooms have that amount of them.

One last thing, the beds were sturdy but not comfy.
The mattress is a bit soft and the two pillows sink in the soft mattress.

I booked in Hilton thinking that it is famous hotel chain and they must be good.
I was not lucky anyway and the only good thing about it was the friendly attitude of their staff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dyski22
, Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I was pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and you enjoyed your breakfast, I will ensure your comments are passed to the team.

On behalf of myself and the Management Team please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay.

I was extremely concerned to read the issues you experienced regarding my Housekeeping department. The cleanliness of our rooms is really important to all of my team members, and there is a lot of passion and drive to get it right every time for our customers. I feel on this occasion we must have got this wrong, and I apologise this was the case. We pride ourselves on our customer service at Hilton Bath City, and I can certainly say this is not indicative of our usual standard. As with any complaint/feedback, I can assure you this has been communicated to all staff involved, so that they may learn from this situation and additional training will be implemented immediately. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I note your comments regarding the toiletries in the bathroom. Additional supplies of toiletries including mouthwash are available upon request from our Housekeeping Department.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your bed. I was sorry to read you felt the bed was uncomfortable.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience. Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards