“Extremely disappointing.”

Hilton Bath City
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 July 2012

6 of us have recently stayed at the Hilton Bath and were extermely disappointed. This Hotel does not meet 4 star standards and is a very expensive hotel - £200 per room per night for 2 and there were renovations taking place which we were not advised about when we booked. Premier Inn rooms are much better value, bigger and of an equal standard of fittings.

So we arrived and were handed the room keys and were not told of the disruption until we arrived on the floor and found there were no ceilings along the corridors. This meant all the electrics and wiring were exposed which were low enough to be touched easily. I am not sure this actually meets health and safety standards.

The rooms themselves are extremely small. The new aircon system did not work as it had not been connected and our room was very hot as the window was locked. The toilet seat had not been fitted properly and the soap dish was at a weird angle. The paintwork had only got the undercoat on and the gloss coat had yet to be applied.

It was very clear that these rooms were in the middle of a renovation and not been finished yet. I would not have gone to the Hilton if we had been advised of the renovations. I can not recommend these rooms as they were so small. It is unlikely any of us would consider staying in a Hilton again.
Bath is a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room without checking it out first.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,010)

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I chose the Hilton because of its location, and was not disappointed. I caught a taxi from the station as it was raining and, although the driver was a bit disappointed with the distance to travel, I was pleased to have done so. I walked from the Hilton to the station to return to London and found the walk poorly signposted. Make sure you have a map!

Yes, the Hilton is a little tired in appearance, as noted by another reviewer. However, this is more than made up for by the amenities, the staff and location. The hotel boasts a lounge area which is comfortable and has a pleasant menu. The breakfast (part of the deal with the room) was very good indeed. My only negative comment is that the pastries were a little disappointing. However, there is a great range of fruit, cheese, cold meat and smoked salmon; the cooked items were generous and the bread interesting. The coffee came as I ordered it- not too strong! The bedroom (upgraded for £20) was a pleasant size, with enough hanging space, desk top and a full length mirror. The bathroom shower was easy to manage; the ledge space generous enough for two people and the towels a decent size although not particularly fluffy. The bed mattress was not the most luxurious, but the pillows were some of the most comfortable I've encountered and the duvet a dream. The air con. was quiet.

The staff is what makes this hotel special. Check in was fast and efficient, the bags were stored promptly and the room was ready an hour early. Everyone smiled and made me feel welcome.

Location - close to everything I wanted to see and some pleasant restuarants, too.

Room Tip: The view from our room on the river side was lovely and the window could be opened.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Just back from a night away at this hotel and I have to say I was really impressed. I had booked a deluxe family room which was spacious and had 2 double beds, which were really comfortable. Although we arrived over 2 hours early we were still able to check in which was great and really convenient. There were plenty of toiletries in the room, including shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion, which was a nice touch. Great selection of teas (teabags) and even a choice of semi or whole milk ! Wi-Fi was available in the room for a charge but we didn't use it. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the river and we didn't hear any noise at all, except for some seagulls.
We didn't use the bar or restaurant for dinner, but breakfast was excellent. There was a good selection of fruit, cheese and cereals and a tempting choice of muffins and pastries. The cooked breakfast was really tasty, especially the smoked bacon and small sausages.
The location is brilliant with the shops, Roman Baths and Thermae Bath Spa within a very short distance away - it really is 'central'. I would certainly visit again in the future without a doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river may be quieter than those overlooking the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Excellent central location.
Staff is OK and friendly...
The hotel (and the guests) would appreciate a renovation, the interior and the rooms (at least the one I had) are really tired.
The wifi definitely was not working....
The bed was OK, but the noise of the seagulls all night long prevented me from sleeping... I do not know whether there was some king of seagull congress or rally... Which means the windows have no acoustic insulation.
A hotel where you are not able to sleep cannot be really recommended.
The breakfast was very good...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My company booked me into the Hilton Bath for one night, and I have to say it is up to the usual Hilton standard. The staff were welcoming on arrival and gave all the information I needed, they acknowledged that the room has been prepaid (unlike other hotels in Bath, see other review!). The room was comfortable, with an immaculate bathroom and tea/coffee making facilities.

The breakfast is buffet style, I just had some porridge so cannot comment on the cooked food, but there was a good range of food available, and the staff, whilst very busy, were courteous when they got to serve you. Would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank indiehotel
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Bath City for two nights celebrating a birthday. Centraly located...the exterior of the hotel is tired but internal decoration is good and being improved upon. All entertainment and attractions are in walking distance The bedroom decor needed updating.The staff are all friendly and accomodating. If you want to walk around and explore Bath the hotel is ideally situated. This is not a place for carparking though.... The hotel is adjacent to a NCP car park where you can park your car overnight. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. We had a meal in the evening which was excellent. A nice hotel with good service, but overpriced for a Hilton.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Nigelshaft
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Having spent three nights at the hotel I left with the opinion that it is really for one night stays as there is little aboult the hotel that akes you want to stay on. The staff work very hard indeed and were over all helpful. The situation is good as well.

We changed from room 105 to another room after complaining about the size of 105 and the lack of space for two people for three nights. There was one drawers and a tiny wardrobe unsuitable for two people. There was no safe and only one typist type chair to sit on. There was hardly any room to move. If we had been there for only one night we would probably have put up with the room. That is why I think Hilton get away with alot, people pass through and will not be returning again. I had to ask for a comment form from reception as we came back at 1630 hrs one day to find our room not made up, very unsatisfactory. Like all these feed back forms you wonder what attention is paid to them as we have had no reply. When we booked out the receptionist asked if everything had been OK. We explained why they had not been satisfactory and he said , sorry about that, I feel if you have a genuine complaint and make a constructive feed back you should have the curtesy of a reply, other wise all these signs and cards about caring about the customer mean nothing and appear to only be a gesture .

Room Tip: If you intend to stay more than one night check your room is suitable before unpacking.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends