“A good weekend”

Hilton Bath City
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I first stayed at this hotel many years ago having recently been built. It was a controversial developement as some Geordian buildings had to be demolished to accommodate the hotel. It's design was also controversial and was know locally as the shoe box. It is close to the centre of the city with Pultney bridge and the Abbey being quite close by. Parking is a problem as the hotel has an arrangement with the Waitrose short term park next door. Be warned if you arrive on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning you may have to wait for a space whilst people shop at Waitrose. The reception and lobby area is very nice. There is a bar at one end where you can get a good lunch. The Restaurant is at the other end and is very comfortable. Breakfast was fine with plenty of choice and the food was well presented. We didn't eat there in the evening as the Vegetarian choice was limited. If you are a Vegetarian you will find choice in Bath to be limited. On arrival staff discovered that it was my wife's birthday. One of the staff arranged a birthday tray to be delivered to the room which was very kind. The room was spacious with a good view of the river. The bathroom was cramped with not much room between the shower and the toilet. The last 3 hotels we have stayed in have all had glass doors to the bathroom. On this occasion there was a mirror opposite the bathroom which made all activity in there visible. Maybe this is a trend amongst the opinion formers but I didn't like it. The room was clean and well looked after. The staff were friendly and helpful. For me the parking maybe a problem..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to read that the staff made you feel welcome with their kind touches for your wife’s Birthday stay. Similarly, that you found your room clean, well looked after and the staff friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,005)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Located in the city centre.It is easy to walk to nearly all the main tourist attractions from the hotel.Room was clean and comfortable and reasonably spacious.
We had a room only deal.We thought the hotel breakfast quite pricey,but within easy walking distance there are lots of eating places.
If you are going by car,parking is located in the underground car park which I don't think is owned by the hotel but located adjacent to the shopping centre,it cost £15 for the day&night parking.
If you want a centrally located hotel with good facilities,this hotel is a good choice.

Room Tip: We experienced no noise whatsoever in our room which was at the rear.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and compliments of our hotel, its city centre location and convenience to all the main attractions in Bath. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed with my family and friends for one night on New Years Day and as a long time HHonors member was incredibly disappointed in how this property is run.

Pros: Great location, good breakfast, comfortable beds

Problems:
This hotel seems to have no concept of customer experience. To start, when we walked down the halls to our room after check-in, the mess we encountered was reminicent of entering my 9-year-old son's room. In addition to the typical cleaning carts, the hallways were competely filled with dirty linens and vacuum cleaners and several guest room doors were left wide open by the cleaning crew, revealing the messy contents of the guest rooms and some strong unpleasant odors. This practice also made me wonder how secure my own personal belognings would be in this hotel. When we opened the door to our own room, we were immediately hit with another terrible odor that smelled like a mixture of dirty feet and an ash tray. While we were at dinner, the hotel sent someone to the room with a machine of sorts that was supposed to remove the odor, but after running all eveining, the smell was unchanged.

Being New Year's Day, we had difficulty finding a restaurant on Trip Advisor that was going to be open for dinner. Given that we were staying at a high priced, full-service Hilton, I assumed the Concierge would be able to help us upon arrival, however when we arrived there was no one at the concierge desk and we were told by reception that the Concierge had the day off. I understand that New Years Day is a holiday, but this is precisely why the hotel was so busy and the need for a concierge so high. I am sure the cleaning and reception crews would also have appreciated a day off, but when you are a hotel, you need to be fully staffed on holidays. The people at reception offered no help except to tell us they serve food in the bar - completely missing the idea that people who visit Bath probably want to experience life outside the hotel.

My friend had booked our rooms and pre-paid through Expedia. Please know that if you do this, you will be treated like a second class guest, even if you are a Hilton Honors member. First, I was denied any Hilton Honors points for the stay. And, upon check-out when I complained that the odor in our room still persisted, the receptionist first offered to reduced our room charge but then indicated that she couldn't because I had booked through Expedia. Lastly, the Hilton had no record that our room rate included breakfast and when I went to the desk to discuss this, I was told that I couldn't possibly have breakfast included because I booked through Expedia. My friend had to get out of bed and come down to the desk to produce a document from Expedia that showed we had indeed booked a bed and breakfast deal. We were then told they would call the dining room and to just go back and tell the hostess our room number. When we showed up, the hostess had no idea what we were talking about as no one from the front desk called!

As I said earlier, breakfast was good, but again the service was poor as time and again we had to wait for food to be brought out as popular buffet items were depleted. Lastly, while we were having drinks in the lounge, my daughter went to the front desk to inquire whether they had any board games (as many Hiltons do). The man at reception told her he would look in back and never returned, leaving her standing there until she gave up.

As I look through the poor reviews for this hotel, I see that the Manager has responded to none. It does make one wonder if anyone at Hilton is concerned about what this property is doing to its brand name. This visit reconfirmed my preference for Marriotts and makes me worry about an upcoming stay at the Hilton in Dubai.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kim S

Thank you for your compliments of our location, your breakfast experience and that you found the beds to be comfortable. However, I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding a persistent odour in your room and the confusion as to whether or not your stay, which had been booked through Expedia, was inclusive of breakfast. I sincerely apologise for the lack of customer service and general helpfulness you received from some staff during your stay and that these matters marred the overall enjoyment of your visit. Please be assured the comments and observations you raise will be addressed accordingly. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some point in the future so that we may restore your faith in Hilton.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a one night-stay in this Hilton Bath hotel in Dec 2013. The hotel is located right at the city centre, making it possible to walk to anywhere. The room was rather spacious and it was bright and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and we really appreciate the high-quality blanket which trapped heat very well (perfect for cold winter). The bathroom was relatively small and there was no bathtub. However, we did not find that bothersome, as we were fine with standing bath. As many reviewers have pointed out, the toilet rolls were near floor level. Though this was not common, we were not too bothered by that.

The complimentary Wifi in the room worked very well. We got a room facing the street; hence there was a little bit of street noise (but not too bad). The breakfast was delicious (typical English breakfast). The breakfast place was tastefully decorated, and staff’s service was excellent. I’d definitely recommend this hotel. Though the room rate is on the steep side, but all the hotels in Bath are expensive.

The only thing I dislike is that they charge extra £5 for room service (which was not reflected in the menu), so a £7 sandwich ended up costing me £12. I will advise you to walk out and look for food elsewhere (it was late at night therefore I ordered the room service).

Room Tip: Avoid the expensive room service (extra charge of £5).
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to read that you found the hotel ideally located for exploring the city centre and that your room was specious and spotlessly clean. Thank you for your compliments of our hotel, our famous Hilton breakfast buffet and our staff’s excellent service. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the UK.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for 2 nights over the Christmas/New Year weekend. The location is great. 5 minutes walk to all the tourist attractions, restaurants in Bath. I booked a deluxe room but got upgraded to a deluxe plus as I am a gold status member with the Hilton HHonors club. The room is big and the bed is very comfortable. My room faced Walcot St but I didn't have any issues with noise. The exterior hotel building and the corridors leading to the room looks a bit dated but the lobby is very modern looking. I was offered free breakfast and drinks at the bar which was a very nice gesture. The breakfast was very nice. I had the hot buffet on the first day and an omelette which was cooked to order for the second day. Staff were very attentive and efficient.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Your compliments of our attentive and efficient staff and the hotels room accommodation is very much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the South West of England.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a great location for a weekend break in Bath and was our second stay in this hotel. We had booked a deluxe family room, which felt pretty cramped given what we had we had paid for it - although we had a small window overlooking the river, which was quite nice. Breakfast buffet was quite nice and we all enjoyed that.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms offer a lovely riverside view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your family stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the scenic views of the river from your room and our famous Hilton breakfast. We hope to welcome you and the family back at some point in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My partner and i stayed here for two nights for a post Christmas reviver and arrived on Boxing Day. We had booked a double deluxe room with a river view which we swapped for one on a higher floor as all we could see was the flat roof of the restaurant. That was all fine but be aware that the back of the hotel also overlooks the bottle bank and bins so we were woken at 7am the next morning by someone off-loading hundreds of bottles! Our main issue was the dinner in the hotel restaurant. When we enquired about dinner we were told that most restaurants in the city would be closed as it was still the Christmas holidays and we were offered a three course dinner in the Atelier restaurant for around £19.50 each. This seemed a sensible option so we booked for 8.30pm. When we arrived, albeit about 10 minutes late, we were the only diners in a huge area so null points for atmosphere! The waiter then informed us that the meal was in the form of a buffet and as we were so "late" most of the food had been cleared away. I went to inspect the buffet and found a dried up joint of pork, some vegetable curry and fish. That was it! We were then informed that a party of 150 pensioners had been in at 6.30 so had eaten everything and there would be no replenishment. I was terribly disappointed firstly because we had not been informed that it was going to be a buffet and secondly the lack of any atmosphere and sparse food choice. I had a metaphorical bucket of cold water thrown over me and my Christmas spirit! We decided to stay - you may ask why? Mainly because I was tired and it was gone 9pm. So we made the best of it and were offered a refund on the meal and the two drinks we had. As there was no pudding choice we were offered free pudding room service so we comforted ourselves with chocolate puddings in the bedroom. The staff were apologetic but it should not have come to this. An up-front explanation of what we could expect would have helped us decided NOT to dine in so I feel there was some honesty lacking when we were sold the dining vouchers.

My tip would be "dine out" as there are lots of pubs, bistros and restaurants available even if it is the Christmas holiday. We had the buffet experience for breakfast which was much better as one would expect from a 4 star hotel. The big plus points were location and underground car park (pay £15 on exit) so that was all good. The room was comfortable and the staff friendly although the general manager was supposed to come and see us the next day to discuss the dinner debacle and never showed up. So customer service scores a lot lower than it should. we love Bath and will return, possibly to the Hilton but not to dine!

Room Tip: Higher floor overlooking river.
1  Thank Barbara C

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read of your experience whilst dinning on Boxing Day evening and I do apologise that you were not advised at the time of booking a table, that the restaurant was serving a buffet that evening. Whilst it does not excuse the experience, I am pleased that by way of an apology for this issue and the lack of information given to you, you were refunded for your meal and drinks. I am glad that your breakfast buffet experience was a more pleasant one.