“Great location and we would stay again!”
Review of Hilton Bath City

Hilton Bath City
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Bath
GreenLeadersBronze level
Springfield, Illinois
“Great location and we would stay again!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am shocked by some of the reviews I've read- like they stayed at a different hotel than we did? We stayed May 28, 2014 in room 232. We found the hotel and room clean and the staff very friendly. Service was obviously important to them. This was a perfect location for our stay and we easily walked to all the sites and around town. I would recommend the hotel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 232 was very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne420
JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your recommendation, compliments and 5* rating of our hotel is much appreciated, thank you. I am glad that you found us ideally centrally located for exploring the beautiful historic City of Bath. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back next time you are visiting in the UK.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel is tired, expensive, claustrophobic and overall not what I expected from the Hilton brand. Bar service is ridiculously expensive. Why??? On a positive though, the location is great for the city center.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

st.ives cornwall
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The good.......the staff, especially the staff, the comfy beds, location, the breakfast, the parking next door, even the price - considering we booked at the last moment on a busy Saturday, everything spot on. Except...
The bad.......£14.99 for a day's wifi....The official explanation at Reception: 'It's because BT charges so much, but we're negotiating with them'. Yeah right. Would you like me to help you with the negotiations? I'll soon sort that out.
Sorry about the poor rating. I'm making a point really, on behalf of all your guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank daveychadwick
JacquelineGayler, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Bath City, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your business stay with us, your compliments of our hotel, staff and 5* rating for location, value, rooms, sleep quality, cleanliness and service are very much appreciated, thank you. We hope to welcome you back should you be in the area again, either on business or for leisure.
London
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My fiance and I arrived at 10am on Saturday morning for a weekend break to celebrate my 30th Birthday. When we arrived, we were understandably told that our room wasn't ready and that we needed to come back at 3pm which was fine.
We asked the staff on the desk if we could leave a bag, at which point they directed us to the seemingly abandoned concierge desk. It was only then that I released that the man who had been casually leaning on the counter next to us was not in fact a customer but the concierge himself! He signed and literately stropped off with our bag as if we had ruined his day by asking him to do something! I almost felt sorry for him such was his despair at having to do his job!!
When we returned from the hotel at 5pm we were give the key to our room.We asked about of bags at which point our charming concierge, who was still slumped over the customer side of the reception desk and not at his own desk, snapped that it was in the room!
We were not directed to the lift or even told what room we were on and ended up wondering around for a few mins.
Now onto our room....TINY doesn't cover it. There was barely space to get round to the far side of the bed, one had to climb on the end. The carpet was filthy and stained with gum stamped into it. The wallpaper was coming away from the lower part of the walls, everywhere was dusty, there was a small tray of olives and fruit that had clearly been sitting there for some time, all of the surfaces were dusty and, perhaps most horrifically, the walls and lamps near the bed seemed to be spattered with some kind of brown gunk! All this for the bargain price of £200 a night!!. Oh but they had left me a birthday card signed by Hilton Hotels. This would have been lovely but the card was in someone else s name!
My fiance went straight to reception to complain and was told that they would move us to another room and knock £20 off the bill. Our next room was slightly bigger, however.... There were the same sticky brown marks on the wall. The carpet was again filthy and the desk had a lovely layer of thick black dust and hair in between the glass overlays. The bed had not been made up properly with the bottom sheet just loosely flung over/. The bed sheet had holes in it and the duvet was covered in fake tan! Perhaps the nicest gift the Hilton gave me on my birthday was to sleep in a bed where the sheets has blood stains on them! Now I'm not talking a lot of blood but enough to make me remove the sheet and sleep on the mattress cover! this was clearly a room that had not been cleaned for some time! I won't even go into the state of the bathroom sink!!!!!
Just as we were taking in the "ambiance" of our room there was a knock on the door. They had brought round now very stale and sweaty plate of birthday nibbles from next door at which point I burst into tears. The member of staff must be used to such sights at this establishment as he simply shut the door and left us to it!
We had planned to go to the spa so grabbed our things and went downstairs. I spoke to the genuinely lovely woman on reception and asked her to have the plate removed from our now even dirtier room. I was still in tears and left the hotel immediately whilst my poor fiance explained the the receptionist what had happened. She immediately sent for the duty manager. The gentleman in question listened to my fiancee's story and said "what would you like me to do?, I can put some wine in the room?". My fiancee said that we didn't want anything for free we wanted a clean room! The manager response was to give us another £40 off the room but really "what did we expect him to do?". He was awful. The poor reception cleark was even pleading our case to him but he didn't seem to care or perhaps, understand what our problem was. It was appalling! The other staff just looked so embarrassed and you had to feel sorry for them as the man was a joke!
We went to the spa in the hope that when we returned our room would have been sterilized (as that's what it needed) because that's what you would have expected the manager to do, right? WRONG!!!. We returned not only to find that the room was in the same state that it had been in when we left but that the plate of food was STILL there!
My fiancee called reception who didn't seem to know what we were talking about and said that they would send someone up. Ten mins later ( the plate was still there) we had another call from someone who spoke very little English saying something along the lines of "we came to check the room but there was a bag" and then they hung up?! It was just bizarre! We had left our bag on the floor of the room but that's all we could think of! Eventually the plate was collected without apology.
We had checked to see if we could get another hotel but everywhere was full, so we deiced to order a bottle of wine, get ready for dinner and make the most of our situation.
My fiancee called and called and called room service. It took three calls and 5 mins until anyone answered. The wine was brought up by the barman very quickly which was a blessing.
After a beautiful dinner in the town we returned to the hotel. I knew I would need some 'dutch courage' before going up to our s"stunning room" so we had a quick nightcap at the bar. The bar is lovely and the service is excellent.
We went up to our room, removed the dirty bed sheets ( my fiancee had washed down the sink etc before we used it to get ready for dinner) put the air-con on, which didn't work but by this point we knew that, as with all of our other complaints, this one would fall on deaf ears. So we attempted to sleep in our baking, dirty room. Happy Birthday me!
We awoke the following morning, showered in a shower which had virtually no water pressure and went down to breakfast. They had slipped our bill under the door, perhaps to avoid having to deal with us at checkout.
Breakfast is served in a very lovely restaurant. We were asked if we wanted tea or coffee but that was about as much attention we received. I watched other couples come in a be offered menus, toast, shown where the buffet was etc but I was passed caring. The final insult came when we went up to get breakfast only to find that our table, drinks and all, had been cleared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point we just burst out laughing. a the lunacy of it all! I truly expected to see John Clease walk through the restaurant door!
On or way out of the hotel we saw again that the concierge desk was empty and that the same chap from yesterday was leaning, once again, over the reception desk having a chat.

I have never in my life experienced anything like it and I stayed in hostels as a student! How environmental health haven't been called in I don't know! Although its worth noting that I left a note on our check out form telling Hilton about the filth we had witnessed and that I was reporting them to environmental health. Strangely enough when we returned to collect our bags before heading to the train station, we noted that the foyer reeked of disinfectant.

Ladies and Gentleman, before booking this hotel, have a look at what you can get for £200 in bath. You can stay in several delightful and CLEAN boutique B and B's and still have changed left over. This hotel and its management are a shame to the Hilton name. We only booked its as my partner had stayed in a very nice Hilton in the Midlands the week before.
NEVER AGAIN!

8 Thank CountryTravelers_9
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Never have I been so disappointed with a standard of a Hilton hotel. After changing from one dirty room to another we spoke to a manager in the end who just kept offering money off the room. We just wanted it to be cleaned to a £200 a night standard. Wallpaper dirty and hanging off wall in places, dusty with cobwebs, ripped and stained bedsheet (with a dot of blood and what looked like fake tan!) and Hadn't been made up properly so items were missing from the room. However, this wasn't done so we have reported the situation with pictures since leaving the Hotel.

1 Thank Ben R
Tintagel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Central Bath with parking. Parking pay on each exit not per night so if you don't use the car at all there is only 1 payment to be made. Helpful staff, efficient air conditioning, comfortable room. We stayed to attend a wedding in the Guildhall which is only a few minutes walk from the hotel. Ideal!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to read that the staff made you welcome and your room was comfortable, as well as the hotel being ideally located close to the Guildhall. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Boracay, Philippines
Reviewed 10 June 2014

A 60's building which seems incongruous amongst the georgian architecture of inner Bath. Rooms are quite small but luckily I was put in a room with view over the river, but that meant a winding dis-orienting walk to the lobby. Check in was very smooth and welcoming, but the parking as with most city centre hotels was in the multi-storey under the Waitrose supermarket next door which was inconvenient if you dont empty the car out first time, then when you check out your parking token is validated which gives you 10minutes to exit the car park before something something..
Internet connection was abysmally slow (dont need a TV, just give me 50mbps). The hotel was very very busy with white socked american tourists and 1 elevator was out of action which made it very hard to traipse up to the 2nd floor with my aging mother, but she appreciated the 10min stroll to the Roman Baths. Summary - ok english hotel, dated but central and very popular with the tourist coach traffic..

Room Tip: ask for a plaza room with the river view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JustHangingAround
Thank you for your review whilst travelling in the UK and visiting the historical City of Bath, I am pleased you enjoyed our central and convenient location.