“Disappointing”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at this hotel. Hotel has recently been refurbished and we decided to give it a try. We booked a "feature" room as it appeared to provide best available accomodation. The room was clean and fresh, but do not expect luxury. The bed in our original room was sagging in the middle and, as we discovered the following morning, it had broken frame. More importantly, sound insulation is very poor. On our first night we had a room with interconnecting door leading to another guest room. We could hear virtually every sound coming from next door as if they were sharing room with us. We were moved to another room in the morning at the end of the corridor, which was better, but we could still hear our neighbours. Also, lack of secondary glazing means that traffic and street noise below is always present.

Customer service was good and efficient however. Staff were friendly and helpful.

We paid £465 for 2 nights (including parking but without breakfast), which, in the circumstances makes this hotel poor value for money.

2  Thank Eugene747
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff at the hotel and I do hope the gesture we made went some way towards restoring your faith in us.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I had arranged to meet some friends in the lounge around 12:30 pm before going out to lunch together.

I was a little early and asked for a gin and tonic rather than just sit there looking at the wallpaper. Oh what a pleasant surprise when I was shown the list of gins available, it took me all of two seconds to opt for the Plymouth Gin, it duly appeared complete with ice and a slice of lime.

I then asked if I could look at the wine list, pointing out that it was only out of curiosity.

By the time my friends arrived I had a bottle of the house Champagne on ice and six glasses on the coffee table. Fortunately they were a little late so I had an excuse for another gin and tonic.

In the end, we had second bottle of fizz before ordering three sharing platters as a light lunch and booking a table for dinner in Chez Blanc for dinner that evening.

Regretfully the House Champagne is not listed in the restaurant, but at little more than many bistros charge for a so so bottle of Argentinean Merlot I’m not completely surprised. Had I have known I would certainly have ordered a bottle in the hotel lounge as an aperitif before going into the restaurant to eat.

Wonderful surroundings and great service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

I am so pleased you enjoyed the champagne - it is lovely isn't it? It really is such a great offer; it is only available in the UK at the Francis Hotel and we wanted everyone to have the opportunity to experience it.

Come again and enjoy some more!

Karen

Reviewed 25 June 2012

A completely refurbished hotel in one of Bath's Georgian squares, the decor may not be to everyone's taste, but it is certainly interesting.It is within a few minutes walk of the major attractions of the town

Ours was a standard room, large enough, and strikingly decorated but lacking in drawer space. It was good to find an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. Coffees, teas and biscuits were supplied and replenished every day.

The bathroom was attractive, but not totally practical. I had a bath and discovered that having to control the water flow and temperature from the shower controls half way up the wall was neither easy or convenient. Also getting in and out of the bath/shower required care - it would have been easy to slip on the sloping side of the bath (my husband and I are both over 70).

Staff were attentive and friendly and the breakfasts among the best we have experienced in years of visiting hotels.

We had a three nights for the price of two deal which made it very good value for money. Given a similar deal, we would certainly consider another hotel in this chain.

Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

I love your description of the décor in the hotel to be ‘interesting’; there are some quirky parts and I find the history and artwork of the designs fascinating.

The lack of drawer space has been taken on board from previous feedback and its being actioned.

It is encouraging to read your comments about breakfast and the service by the staff; it is always a great boost to morale. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back the Francis.

Best wishes

Reviewed 25 June 2012

The Francis has just re-openned after a complete makeover. Now at last the excellent service and delightful staff team have a setting to be proud of. The bedrooms are sophistocated and relaxing. The bedding the best ever. Reception areas bright and interesting and with Raymond Blanc's team in the old dining room there's no need leave the hotel for one of the best meals in Bath!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the car park are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

It is great to see that you appreciate the transformation of the Hotel; it is a lovely building to work in. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind regards – Karen Bassett

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked a feature room at £284! for one night.The hotel is quite psychadelic in its` approach to boutique.I found it all a bit busy and messy with no coherant theme.Our room for the price, I thought was a bit small and the weird painting stuck to the ceiling was very odd indeed.There is no doubt it is a quirky style, which is not to my taste, the colours are all too bold and amateurish.The bathroom had a rainforest shower head but it was not very powerful and due to the open glass style of shower surround,water went all over the floor.There is also a mural of the actual Roman BATHS, in the shower, which I also found tacky!
The bed is supremely comfortable, with excellent pillows and linens, but our room which was on the first floor ,faced out onto the main square and was quite noisy during the night.
The breakfast was a buffet style help yourself with lots of good choices of cereals,nuts, seeds, granolas, fruit juices, meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, pastries and breads and also a cooked selection which was quite good ie full english, eggs benedict, pancakes or omlette.Very filling all round, but the service was a bit haphazard and slow. Milk arrived with bits floating in the top! The waitress offered full cooked but did not explain there was a buffet also or an a la carte choice. Plates were not cleared as used.
Overall choice in Bath is limited if you want a more up market hotel, this one is very centrally situated and has Brasserie Blanc right next door, but it is over priced for what it is.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front on lower floors will be noisy, Bath is a lively night time city and I found the n...
2  Thank LADYRAWDON
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Your observations are mixed and we do appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards - Karen Bassett

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Disappointing that a complete refurbishment didn't include bone china! Nasty thick crockery, boring selection of sandwiches, no condiments, not enough jam or cream to put on the scones. Attention to guests was lacking - despite frantically trying to get the attention of the waiter, in the end I had to get up and go to reception and ask for sugar and lemon for our tea. Considering there was only one other table taking tea, this was unacceptable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

This really is very disappointing; following your review I have spoken to the Team to emphasise the need to closely adhere to the standards of practice that are in place every time we have guests taking Afternoon Tea in our Lounge. I am very sorry that this obviously wasn’t the case when you were with us and can only hope you will give us the opportunity to prove to you that we can do it well. Contact me direct make the reservation.

Karen Bassett – General Manager

Reviewed 22 June 2012

The Francis Hotel is a gorgeous, old-school grande dame complete with sumptuous entry and squeaky wood floors and stairs. Our room was at the top level in a corner facing Queen Square - we loved opening the windows and watching the people stroll by every morning.

The room itself was clean and neat, it had an old-fashioned feel and *bonus!* a heated towel rack in the bathroom. Lovely! In addition, wireless can be purchased by the hour (as in, you buy an hour and you get an hour's worth of wireless, to be used throughout your stay until you've used the hour up) rather than at a flat rate of $X per day, which was a great way to price wireless if you're going to actually charge for it.

I'd highly recommend staying at the Francis the next time you find yourself in Bath.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thetripchick
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Francis Hotel following your stay. I am delighted that you like the Hotel.

With regards to the wifi, the Hotel actually offers free wifi for basic browsing and emailing and additional package for £10 for 24 hrs can be purchased for more ‘heavy duty’ internet usage. I do hope we see you again when you are next in Bath.