“Could have been great...teething problems?”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Middle England
“Could have been great...teething problems?”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed here previously just prior to refurbishment on business and it looked promising, so thought would try it after refurb for a relaxed weekend with partner.
It certainly looks lovely, has a great boutique feel even though it is a large hotel. The decor is eclectic and therefore not to everyones taste but we loved it.
Happy with our room at the front of the hotel (much better view than the back), but then had a couple of problems with the TV and the shower. To be honest the staff were there within minutes to try to sort it for us, but couldn't. Offered another room next door but it was dark and not as nice. We declined offer and said it didn't matter. The lovely Manager Karen then rang us and offered to upgrade us to a feature room later on that evening, which we gratefully accepted.
This room was larger and had more facilities so it was a bonus. However, I would rather have just not had the problems in the first place. I was surprised that the feature room had a fridge and an ipod docking station - well actually I was surprised that the standard room didn't!?! Bed was as comfy as ANY I've slept in and the sheets were beautifully crisp!
Special mention to the housekeeper who seemed genuinely interested and keen to make sure we were happy.
Breakfast could have been amazing. Lovely mix of fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, breads, croissants and al a carte menu. I chose the thick pancakes, crispy bacon and maple syrup (my favourite) but was very disappointed when it arrived as the pancakes were pale and not cooked properly and the crispy bacon was also pale and flabby. I asked if I could send it back to the kitchen and either get them to do it again or choose something different. Lovely waiter said ok they would do it again. Then he came back and said "actually I'd rather you chose something else, I'm not sure that they (chefs) can get it right" - not much faith in your staff then? Ended up with eggs and mushroom - but again would rather have just had it right in the first place.
On checking out it would have been nice if someone had checked to see if we had enjoyed our stay after the problems encountered - however the rather sullen girl on reception managed to check us out without even making eye contact.
I wouldn't say don't use the Francis as it could be lovely, but I just feel they need to sort a few issues out to make it the 5 star service and experience it really could be.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on floor one or two at the front it is a better view.
2 Thank QueenieRoadie
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review; it would certainly appear that you had a mixture of experiences during your stay. I’m delighted that we were able to upgrade you (and thank you for the compliment regarding me and the Housekeeper!); however, it is disappointing that you had a poor experience at breakfast and at check out. As you say in your review, naturally we did experience some teething troubles initially but I am confident that these have now been ironed out.

I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Bath.

Karen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We booked this hotel just over one week before the Queen's Jubilee long weekend so naturally all the hotels in town are booked out and this is one of the few options available to me. There was no review on TA at the time on this hotel, so I booked with trepidation purely due to the location and the promise of the hotel being newly renovated recently.

I booked the classic room and it wasn't cheap at 180 quids a night.

We arrived to find a small but nicely appointed lobby, once we negotiated the rather small revolving door which was challenging to get through with any moderate size luggage. The check in was fairly straightforward, and were given a room despite it was before the official checkin time of 2pm. We made a request for a quiet room away from the stair/ lifts area and was given such a room on level 3.

There was only one lift which wasn't a problem for most of our stay until the morning of checking out, when a german tour group was leaving and it was impossible to get the lift to stop at our floor.

When we got to our room, we found it far exceeded out expectation. The decor was very nice and very European, and the room while wasn't spacious it was certainly had plenty of room for the two of us. The queen bed was very soft and comfortable, and the bathroom/ shower was nice, clean warm. Hot water was plentiful and good shower head pressure.

There's tea/coffee and electric hot water jug on a tray in the wardrobe.

The location was good and fairly quiet. It was an easy 5 mins walk to Bath Abbey, and 10mins walk to the train station.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay there and it was much better than we expected. The stay was comfortable. I will certainly recommend this hotel to other fellow travallers on TA.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for braving it and coming to stay with us prior to us being reviewed following the refurbishment. I am pleased you didn’t have any regrets and, in fact, enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we see you if you are in Bath again.

Best wishes – Karen
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at this hotel. Hotel has recently been refurbished and we decided to give it a try. We booked a "feature" room as it appeared to provide best available accomodation. The room was clean and fresh, but do not expect luxury. The bed in our original room was sagging in the middle and, as we discovered the following morning, it had broken frame. More importantly, sound insulation is very poor. On our first night we had a room with interconnecting door leading to another guest room. We could hear virtually every sound coming from next door as if they were sharing room with us. We were moved to another room in the morning at the end of the corridor, which was better, but we could still hear our neighbours. Also, lack of secondary glazing means that traffic and street noise below is always present.

Customer service was good and efficient however. Staff were friendly and helpful.

We paid £465 for 2 nights (including parking but without breakfast), which, in the circumstances makes this hotel poor value for money.

2 Thank Eugene747
I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff at the hotel and I do hope the gesture we made went some way towards restoring your faith in us.

Karen Bassett
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I had arranged to meet some friends in the lounge around 12:30 pm before going out to lunch together.

I was a little early and asked for a gin and tonic rather than just sit there looking at the wallpaper. Oh what a pleasant surprise when I was shown the list of gins available, it took me all of two seconds to opt for the Plymouth Gin, it duly appeared complete with ice and a slice of lime.

I then asked if I could look at the wine list, pointing out that it was only out of curiosity.

By the time my friends arrived I had a bottle of the house Champagne on ice and six glasses on the coffee table. Fortunately they were a little late so I had an excuse for another gin and tonic.

In the end, we had second bottle of fizz before ordering three sharing platters as a light lunch and booking a table for dinner in Chez Blanc for dinner that evening.

Regretfully the House Champagne is not listed in the restaurant, but at little more than many bistros charge for a so so bottle of Argentinean Merlot I’m not completely surprised. Had I have known I would certainly have ordered a bottle in the hotel lounge as an aperitif before going into the restaurant to eat.

Wonderful surroundings and great service.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed the champagne - it is lovely isn't it? It really is such a great offer; it is only available in the UK at the Francis Hotel and we wanted everyone to have the opportunity to experience it.

Come again and enjoy some more!

Karen
scotland
Reviewed 25 June 2012

A completely refurbished hotel in one of Bath's Georgian squares, the decor may not be to everyone's taste, but it is certainly interesting.It is within a few minutes walk of the major attractions of the town

Ours was a standard room, large enough, and strikingly decorated but lacking in drawer space. It was good to find an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. Coffees, teas and biscuits were supplied and replenished every day.

The bathroom was attractive, but not totally practical. I had a bath and discovered that having to control the water flow and temperature from the shower controls half way up the wall was neither easy or convenient. Also getting in and out of the bath/shower required care - it would have been easy to slip on the sloping side of the bath (my husband and I are both over 70).

Staff were attentive and friendly and the breakfasts among the best we have experienced in years of visiting hotels.

We had a three nights for the price of two deal which made it very good value for money. Given a similar deal, we would certainly consider another hotel in this chain.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
I love your description of the décor in the hotel to be ‘interesting’; there are some quirky parts and I find the history and artwork of the designs fascinating.

The lack of drawer space has been taken on board from previous feedback and its being actioned.

It is encouraging to read your comments about breakfast and the service by the staff; it is always a great boost to morale. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back the Francis.

Best wishes