“Great stay at the Francis”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Despite arriving at 11.30 and the reception area being very crowded the reception staff where very helpful. It was our anniversary and this was noted in the room but as the hotel wasnt full I thought we might have been upgraded but we werent. Our room was on the 1st floor overlooking the entrance of the hotel and on reading past reviews I thought this was going to be noisy, it wasnt. The room was clean, fresh and bathroom with a requested bath was small but suited requirements - the shower was great. There arent any tea/coffee making facilities in the room and I didnt like to phone down at 11.30pm for a cuppa when I fancied one, I felt I would be a nuisance - so this would have been a nice feature. The batteries in the remote control were on their way out and my partner was getting frustrated trying to turn over and there are only a limited number of TV channels. Breakfast was fantastic, best we have had, freshly cooked and a superb quality. Staff were really lovely and helpful, young and extremely nice. Great to see the hotel being 'touched up' and painted by a really helpful and lovely man, who when reception was busy gave me directions (and good ones at that) to the nearest cash point. All in all a lovely stay - we will definately be back. Fab location as well and close to everything.

1  Thank PHP1407
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

I am delighted that you chose the Francis Hotel to celebrate your anniversary; it is great to see that you have enjoyed yourselves. All the rooms in the Hotel have tea and coffee making facilities; they are located in the wardrobe in the rooms, it is such a shame you didn’t call Reception and they would have been able to let you know so that you would have been able to enjoy a cup of tea in your room – you’ll know for next time and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

The staff in this hotel were fantastic. They couldn't do enough to make our stay a memoriable one. I would certainly recommend this hotel. We had a suite which was of a very good standard with breakfast. It was very central & joined on to the hotel was Raymond Blanc's restaurant we would recommend that to.

1  Thank klwilliams56
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thank you very much for your encouraging review and for your recommendation. I hope we see you again sometime soon at the Francis Hotel Bath.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

When arriving at this centrally located hotel, we were welcomed by a very helpful end friendly staffmember. The whole hotel is newly refurbished, and we were impressed by the tasty colours and exciting wallpapers all over the place. It looks nice at the Internet-pictures, but the real thing is much better.
We had booked a superiour twin room, and the room was just as nice as the rest of the hotel. The beds were very comfortable. We even had our own Nespresso coffee-mashine in the room. The showerroom was quite small, but incredibly nice; especially the lovely wall in the shower with a large picture of The Roman Baths. The hotels breakfast is really lovely too!
We truely can recommend this hotel to everyone.

3  Thank Aventin

I am pleased that your first impression and welcome to the Francis Hotel was a good one; and pleased that the rest of your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at the Francis Hotel. The hotel has just been refurbished in beautiful Regency colours and looked stunning. Room was very clean and smelled fresh. Bed was incredibly comfy with lovely soft pillows and good quality bedding. Breakfast was a hot buffet type but generous, lovely home made bread. Staff very helpful. Good to see a man with a paint pot touching up the paintwork, keeps the hotel looking fresh. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank seren0202

It is wonderful to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Francis Hotel. Martin is delighted to have been noticed touching up here and there! Please come back soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed one night for a romantic get away as we have wanted to visit bath for a while. The Francis Hotel is very comfy and a great base, very central location and has parking. The room is nice and individual, clean with a good bathroom and large tv. I would prefer it if there was a bath but understand in a building of this age that is not always easily done. The staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

I am delighted you chose the Francis for your romantic getaway and very pleased it lived up to your expectations. We do have baths in some of our rooms; they all vary in shape, size and design. If you come again, request a room with a bath when you make the booking.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed for one night. Hotel restored recently. Very tastefully decorated.Room and bathroom really big, Very comfy beds.
All the staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble Breakfast was superb, great choice of everything.
The Francis is in an excellent location.

2  Thank RonCelia

Thank you for your positive review. I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Having undergone a £6million refurbishment this year, the hotel was looking at its best, for sure! We are so glad we chose this year to visit Bath and this hotel.

Hotel: Oddly enough, I found the interior to be more pleasing to the eye than the exterior. Bath is awash with beautiful Georgian, sandstone buildings and I am grateful that we were able to stay in a building that has been so lovingly restored and cared for recently.
Some visitors will perhaps expect, or prefer a more subtle restoration and design choice but I liked the bold choices of wallpaper and colours. The building is alive as soon as you enter the reception through the wooden revolving doors, into the vibrant reception area.

Service: Greeting was formal and friendly and check in was efficient. All staff members encountered were polite, but there was one man, Salvatore in the breakfast room, that made the visit memorable. He was the most enthusiastic and charming restaurant manager we have met and full of pride and passion for his job. What a delight!

Room: I had emailed the hotel and specified a room which i had seen on Trip Advisor and was desperate to stay in. I knew the hotel couldn't guarantee this room and so i was ecstatic to find we would be sleeping there on our visit. I love the uneven floors and low level ceiling (partner didnt agree!). The bathroom is beautiful. I loved the large sink, chequered floor tiles and the picture of The Roman Baths on the bathside wall. Perfect view while i sipped my champagne and had a soak in the tub. Bed was comfy, maybe a little small.
We couldn't see a minibar or hairdryer, which was a shame as I didnt bring a hairdryer so couldnt wash my hair before we went out for dinner.

Breakfast: Buffet selection and an a la carte selection. Eggs benedict was cooked perfectly and there was a good choice of cold and hot items available.

We paid £116 for a Bank holiday Sunday night, inc breakfast. I found this to be great value for a hotel right in the centre of Bath. 5 mins walk to the baths and spa, and 5 minutes to the adventure golf (im a big kid).

I would not hesitate to visit this hotel again and would especially recommend you visit this year, while the decor is fresh and new.

Room Tip: Look at the trip advisor photos and send a cheeky email to the hotel :)