“Even better than before”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Bath
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Even better than before”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel with friends for several New Year bashes and they were brilliant in hosting her landmark birthday a couple of years ago. No surprise then that for my "landmark" birthday (same track, landmark a little further on!), we chose to stay at the newly-refurbished Francis. We were not disappointed. The Feature room was superbly fitted out, the bed one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in and the bathroom, with the shower wall featuring a picture of the Roman baths, was a treat. Add to that the professionalism and personableness of the staff, an excellent breakfast choreographed by the afore-mentioned irrepressible head waiter, what more could we have wished for? How about the champagne that arrived accompanied by a hand-written note from the manager wishing me a great birthday (the champagne was included in our deal, the note a welcome surprise!). Well done Karen, the hotel and its staff are a credit to you and I would have no hesitation in recommending the Francis to anyone......

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard998
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am delighted you had such a great time with us and thank you as well for the complimentary remarks about the staff at the Hotel. I do hope we see you again soon.

Karen Bassett – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My mother and father had stayed here many years ago and I was keen to follow in their footsteps - especially having read reviews about the refurbishment. We were not disappointed! The hotel was gorgeous!! I think we have high standards (though perhaps everyone says that!) but really - it was lovely. The bed was one of the most comfortable - and a first - I peeked under the pillow slip to see who made the pillows. Dumas by the way! Lovely little touches all along the way and the staff were helpful and attentive. The head waiter at breakfast made everyone smile. Go. And enjoy!!!

Room Tip: We overlooked the delightful little courtyard - but the front overlooking the square would be nice t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
It will have changed a lot since your parents stayed and I am so pleased you like the Hotel and the staff. We have had a lot of compliments regarding the beds/bedding/mattresses etc, which is wonderful as it is so important to be comfortable. Thank you for your positive review.

Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We booked this hotel for a joint 40th birthday celebration for my husband and I. The hotel was so central and within walking distance of all the main attractions yet in a quiet location.
The room was very clean and spacious with a great shower and good quality toiletries!
The bed was so comfortable as this can often be a source of disappointment and discomfort in other hotels.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast excellent.
Have recommended it to our family and friends.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great recommendation and your wonderful review. I am pleased you had a good birthday treat.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We have visited this hotel twice this year - we were so impressed the first time we went back, and unusally it was just as good the second time. Lovely classy hotel, food delightful and plenty of choice, location is perfect for all of Bath, and the staff were so helpful and pleasant nothing is too much trouble. Well done we will book again

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay on your second visit to the Francis as much as the first. I hope you make it for a third visit before too long.

Nottingham
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

A lovely hotel, in a great location and I was drawn to it by Brasserie Blanc's residence. Newly refurbished, I can't criticise the interior or the comfort of the rooms - powerful shower, feather pillows and duvet, comfortable bed and good free Internet.

The detail: 1. I had to pick out the hair and body fat from my sink so that the water could wash away (how does housekeeping miss this?!)
2. I am 6'2" and I am given an attic room with a shower clearance and headroom under the ceiling of 5'8" tops - my neck aches.
3. Very loud creaking floorboards outside my room meant I was woken twice when residents returned to their room in the early hours and the night staff bought a newspaper to my neighbours room. I am now a walking zombie!
Good value other than these personal let downs and probably would return, but with a request for a non attic room!

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
I am pleased that you found us after locating Brasserie Blanc in Bath. I am very sorry that you were given a room on the 3rd floor in the Hotel. Generally, the reception team are very efficient at gauging the height of a guest on check in and do not allocate rooms on this floor; sadly this wasn’t the case when you were with us. It is such a shame you didn’t highlight this to reception so we could have moved you to an alternative room. I am also sorry that the sink was dirty; this is inexcusable. Please do highlight the concerns you experienced if you make a booking in the future and we will do our very best to make sure you have comfortable stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Lovely hotel great decor and attention to detail with beautiful furnishings
All the staff were friendly and helpful
Comfy beds like sleeping on a cloud of Egyptian cotton
Excellent location really impressed
Pricey but worth it

Room Tip: Go for quieter rooms at the rear
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your recommendation; I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Having always visited the Francis growing up with the family it was a treat to stay there on my own as an adult, but I felt like a child again. Queen Square holds many special memories and I was worried that being on my own, in a place I normally associate with family gatherings would feel strange - but that wasn't the case.

The Francis has undergone some impressive changes and I have to admit I felt like Alice in Wonderland, it was a wonderful experience. My bed was so high off the ground that I felt like the princess of the princess and the pea fame; my bathroom had a frieze of a view of the Roman Baths I felt like I was there; the furniture was a mix of old and new and very much eccentric. I loved the bonkers feel of the room.

Having spent a night out with friends I decided to order from the room service menu, well I ordered most of the room service menu and it was delivered in huge trays and was every bit as lovely as I had anticipated.

The only downside was that the seagulls were having choir practice at early doors and so the luxury of a lie in was bothered by them, but it's not a massive issue.

I will definitely go again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Rowills
It was lovely to read the review of your stay with us and I am delighted that you appreciate the refurbishment of the Francis. Sadly, the seagulls are ‘vocal’ and are a constant challenge for the council in Bath. I hope you don’t leave it so long before you come back to visit.