“Faultless”

Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Buckinghamshire
“Faultless”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We stayed at the Francis for 2 nights across the weekend to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. Having read the reviews here, I was expecting good things. The overall experience still managed to surpass these high expectations.

Check in was polite, efficient and we were delighted to be informed we had been upgraded which was an unexpected treat. As a bonus, we had arrived at 1145hrs and our room was ready for us!! On arrival in the room, we had received a note & some chocs from Karen Bassett, the Hotel Manager, wishing us a pleasant Anniversary which was a delightful personal touch. The room was fantastic - beautifully appointed, spotlessly clean and with all the special touches (Nespresso machine, four poster bed the size of our whole bedroom at home, fluffy gowns) to make us feel very pampered indeed.

The hotel's location was one of the reasons we had initially booked here (actually booked pre-upgrade) and we were not disappointed - 5-10mins walk from pretty much everywhere in Bath that we wanted to see. I can't imagine a better, more convenient location. We were also able to park in the car park (note to fellow reviewers - it's abundantly clear from the reviews here that parking costs £15 per night - please do stop acting surprised/indignant about this, it is pretty well publicised!!). We had no issue with noise at all, though with the bed as comfy as it was, not much would have dragged me from my slumber.

Breakfast was included in the rate I had paid, so can't comment on the cost for that, however we had 2 very pleasant breakfasts. The eggs benedict were perfectly poached, the hollandaise rich and flavoursome. The choice on the cold buffet was superb - pastries, cold cuts, cheeses, berry smoothies - easily enough to fill me several times over. Service was the perfect balance of discretion and attentiveness, and very polite at all times.

Overall I feel very lucky to have chosen the hotel for our special weekend, as it really made us feel like we were treating ourselves, and I would gladly return to the Francis next time we return to Bath.

Room Tip: Not a room tip, but parking is clearly limited - arrive early to stand a good chance of a space.
2 Thank jhntigers
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
It is wonderful to see that you had such a good time in Bath celebrating your wedding anniversary. We really do appreciate the comments that you have made regarding parking at the Hotel; it really isn’t something that we try to hide. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards, Karen Bassett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bristol
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Stayed for a night with the girlfriend on Saturday. On arrival we were given a complimentary upgrade which was a surprise, no explanation given but who cares! Room was excellent as expected, the bed was unbelievably comfortable- best bed ever, no complaints with either the lounge or the bathroom. Unfortunately there was no hotel parking available but there is a long stay car park 2 mins up the road but be aware that it you will need pop up to buy more time and the cost will exceed the £15 that the hotel charges (but not by much), overnight in the long stay costs £1.50 but finishes at 8am, so i needed to wake up early to go and extend our time! A great touch was the fact that the bed had been made again and a small box of chocs left on our bed following us going for and returning from our evening meal. The breakfast was good although we expected more from the traditional breakfast, lots of other choice though. We enjoyed our stay so money well spent.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
It is great to see you had such a good time when you were in Bath. Don’t leave it too long before you return!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We paid about $220AUD to stay for a night, which included breakfast. The hotel interior and decor is of a high standard and the staff were friendly and helpful. The room itself was clean and modern but had a low ceiling, which means you'll feel a bit cramped if you're over 6 feet tall. Other than that, the room space was adequate, the bed was very comfortable and the tiled bathroom was a surprise, as it was fairly spacious and very luxurious.

The hotel location was excellent, as it's only a 5-minute walk to Bath Abbey and the Roman Baths, and a 3-minute walk to Victoria Park.

Keep in mind that this isn't a cheap hotel to stay at. But if you've got the money and want somewhere really nice to stay in Bath that's within walking distance to the major attractions (with breakfast included), I can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Parking available for guests in the hotel for 15 GBP per night.
1 Thank Jerry H
Thank you very much for your recommendation. I think that you were probably accommodated on the third floor of the hotel, which used to be the servant’s quarters and the ceilings are lower than on the other floors. I do hope this wasn’t a problem for you; we would have been delighted to show you some other rooms. I hope you had a good time in the UK.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed on a Saturday evening. This is a very beautiful hotel. The bed is amazingly comfortable. The decor is beautiful. The room and the hotel in general is very clean. The breakfast is complete and includes the buffet and the choice of a hot breakfast item.

However, we had a street side room on the second floor and it was very very noisy--the windows are very thin. We could hear people walking along the street from the pubs until about 2am in the morning. Even the front service said it was very loud on the weekends. You would think since this is a pretty expensive hotel they would change the windows but I'm assuming that since it's such an old hotel, maybe they can't. So, I would stay there again but I will be asking for a garden side room when I make the reservation.

Room Tip: Rooms on street side are very noisy
2 Thank Janell B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Francis. I’m delighted that you liked the hotel and the décor. The windows in the rooms on the side for the hotel are double glazed; I am sorry if you were disturbed by people leaving the pub. I do hope that we see you back at the Hotel at some time in the future.

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Love this hotel great rooms with coffee pods and tea making bits also two types of mineral water and orange juice left for with the compliments of hotel,yummy bath bits and they let us check out at 1 pm and Sunday lunch in the hotel restaurant is a must its under the new rule of Raymond blanc delish food and attentive service,very good spicy bloody mary too.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have full double glazing I slept like a baby and heard no noise we had a room faci...
1 Thank alexandsalvador
Glad you had a good time! Hope we see you again.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Beautiful cotton sheets and lovely feather pillows. I travel the world with my own feather pillow so it was a delight to have the lovely linens. The Blanc bistro was wonderful,and if you get there before7oc you still have the option of their lunch menu. Incredible value for wonderful foodGREAT. My only problem was, I smoke and the garden had no lights or heaters. I was travelling alone and did want to sit outside and have a coffee and aperitive but it was dark and uncomfortable. Staff were very helpful if you asked,but not forthcoming with help. I am disabled and there was only one bay, which had a cone on it so I was unable to park there. Not a major problem as I am able to walk short distances, however carrying my bag up the stairs was difficult. Perhaps an intercom from the car park to the front desk would be an option.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Tinahayday
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you appreciated the bedding in your room and also enjoyed Brasserie Blanc, which adjoins the hotel. There is lighting in the garden, unfortunately it would appear that this hadn’t been switched on and I am sorry that this wasn’t picked up. We have noted your observations regarding the car park.

Surrey
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My Mum recommended this hotel as it is so central and it has parking (albeit for a small charge). She was right - absolutely perfect spot to take in Bath and all it has to offer. What she didn't tell me is how awesom the hotel is.

I took my 15 year old twins and we had a premium twin which meant we had a sofa bed also. The price was good but I booked early. THe breakfast was perfect - just as it should be. And the staff were great. The chap in the bar created a special unalcoholic drink for them and got them some limes with sugar to suck - they thought he was really cool.

I can't fault it - I was only there for a night but is was perfect. Do go!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Mums always know best! Look forward to seeing you again.