“Nice hotel excellent location”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Bath
London
“Nice hotel excellent location”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed here with three friends at the weekend. Very central which was particularly useful as it rained all day Saturday! Recently refurbished so everything clean, bright and functioning. I stayed in room 212 which was a large bedroom at the front with plenty of room for table, chairs and other bits and pieces plus a large shower room (note: none of us had baths in our en suites). Hotel has a relaxed feel, staff mostly young and friendly. The only problem was at breakfast, which seems to be the way with all British hotels at weekends. There was quite a queue and not enough staff to manage the queue properly, clear tables and serve. However, the breakfast itself was fine (apart from my friend's rubbery scrambled egg!) and overall we had a lovely stay. I would definitely stay again, particularly because of the great location. Also the hotel was very happy to store our luggage after we checked out on Sunday until we returned late afternoon.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to send in a review. I do hope we see you again soon at the Francis Hotel.

Karen Bassett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My wife and I stayed on a Thursday night in November.
Having stayed at the old Francis Hotel many times I he past it was a pleasure to see he old hotel refurbished to a high standard.
Unfortunately an old building retains good and bad characters ...the floor boards still creak, the plumbing may not be perfect and the room space cannot be increased. Our room was quite noisy dude to it being situated on a busy road and there were passing party goers enjoying their nigh out until 3 in the morning!
The bed was very comfortable and the staff when pushed were very helpful.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
It is good to hear from guests returning to the Hotel and I am delighted that you like the refurbishment. When the hotel was being refurbished we thought that the contractors had managed to sort out the creaky floorboards and it is disappointing to see that this wasn’t the case. We certainly don’t get the comments that we used to get so I think they must have got the majority of them! I do hope we see you again soon, if you call to make a reservation let us know your room number and we can see if we can get it sorted out!

London
Reviewed 21 November 2012

The hotel has a modern boutique feel with a baroque twist that may or may not be to everybody's taste. We stayed in two rooms at £180/night and found they varied greatly - one was quirky and with a funky black and white bathroom and the second was comparatively quite drab and had also not been cleaned well either. Unfortunately, despite my request both when booking online and when checking in in person, my parents (who were my guests) were given the more unattractive room. I found this quite frustrating and it has further marred my impression of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VB1306
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room that your parents stayed in. Both of the rooms are classic rooms, which is the style of room that you booked, however, within each category the rooms in the hotel do vary in size, shape and décor. I would emphasise that we always offer each and every bedroom at the Hotel with every confidence that our guests will be happy. I am, however, very disappointed that you felt the room had not been cleaned satisfactorily; this was inexcusable. It is such a shame that you didn’t ask to see another room so that you could all have been comfortable.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Room 14 was disgusting, dust from months was on top of mirrors, pictures etc, hair on a chair from a previous customer. The room had not been cleaned for weeks. Breakfast - piece of metal in my bacon, stack of pancakes - 2 as they had run out of mix and were not able to make anymore. Have not recommended for these reasons!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angie P
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
I really am very sorry that your stay wasn’t up to expectations. As soon as we were made aware I did come to see the room and it was absolutely inexcusable that the room had not been cleaned satisfactorily; this really was unusual. I am pleased that we were able to move you to a different room as soon and I have spoken at length with the cleaning company. I am confident that a situation such as this will not arise again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in: the room was wonderful, unusual and different but absolutely beautiful and very luxurious. The amenities & facilities were fantastic, the location wonderful for getting into and around Bath, and the staff were friendly, helpful & pleasant. Would highly recommend & we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucym1985
Thank you so much for your review following your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed at the Francis Hotel for a family party. The classic exterior left me a little confused by the furnishings inside, it felt a little like no one could decide if it as going to be a contempory design or a classic, in perticular the plastic looking "chandeliers" in the front lobby, looked jus a little bit tacky. Staff were very friendly and professional, check-in was nice a fast as well. There was meant to be a concierge there but no one offered to help my family with our bags even though we had a few. One pointer for staff, when you knock on a guests door, either to bring a phone charger (THANK YOU FOR FINDING ME ONE!) or to come in and service the room its usually best to let us know who is outside ("hello housekeeping") instead of just knocking once and then coming in or waiting outside for 5-10 minutes.
We came downstairs for a champagne reception, fantastic to be given an area in the lounge for this but if the barman fills two glasses so much that the froth over (which shouldn't happen at all really) I'd expect repacements to be offered for the lost glasses.
I asked the concierge if he could bring out the birthday cake for my grandpa after we ate at the restaurant, a fantastic meal and again lovely staff. The response i got from him as not what I expected, "Ok, I won't actually be here but i will leave a note". That does not leave me re-assured and what concierge leaves before 8pm on a saturday?
All this aside we had a lovely meal, the cake made it out with extra candles aswell (thanks again to the receptionist from that night she was fantastic) and coffee was given to us in teh same reserved area, myself and a few others stayed downstairs for a night cap. As you do we started to feel peckish so asked about some food. We ordered, a chicken and watercress sandwich wih mayo, at £14 or so, we got chiken braeast (a little dry) in white bread. no cress no mayo. They said tehy were having trouble getting into the kitchein so perhaps you do not serve food so late as we were up but i would have preffered to be told that than have to pay full price for half of waht is offered. The west country cheese selection! loved the cheeses, shame we only had three crackers between three of us, and the end slices of brie (which im not 100%sure is from the west country) which is more rennet than cheese is not the sort of thing id serve. If you can't do soething properly, dont do it. Like i say we wouldn't have minded if we had been told you stopped doing food, being let down when it comes is frustrating.
I think the hotel could grow into something great but some issues need to be addressed. The night porter having a chat with his mate in a hoody late at night is not a perticularly promising sight to come back too.
Finally, and maybe you just had a week where evryone forgot toothpaste, but waking up in the morning with fuzzy teeth is a nightmare for everyone and on sunday morning you'd run out of toothpaste so down we went to breakfast with a mouth of fuzz - not pretty. Granted I should have remebered to pack it in the first place but a certain level of hotel hould always be able to provide these things.
Finally, someone needs to take better care of hoovering the corridors, there was too much mess about.
We had a lovely night, but you need to up your game if you wish to carry on charging these prices. I look forward to seeing the improvments in place someday.

Oh i just remembered about the bathroom in the room, no way is that pixelated wall size picture of the roman baths going to fool me that I am there, it would look far better with out it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank alex h
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us; I do hope you had an enjoyable time with your Grandpa on his birthday.

I am sorry that the staff knocked on your door without indicating who they were; this is standard practice in the hotel and they have been reminded. The concierge had been working since 10.00am and was being replaced by another member of staff; I believe that he just wanted to reassure you that the cake wouldn’t be forgotten. I am delighted that you appreciated the extra candles.

I have spoken to the Night Porter who has apologised for the delay in the food arriving. We regularly serve food late in the evenings, unfortunately, on this occasion there was a problem with keys. I can guarantee that the all our cheeses are from the West Country and the one you describe is Bath Soft Cheese. We always give 3 biscuits with the order; it is such a shame you didn’t ask for some more, they would’ve been delighted to bring you some more; I am pleased that you enjoyed the cheese. The Night Porter was talking to one of the guests who had returned back to the hotel (with a hoody) who wanted to have a cigarette outside.

We were without dental kits for guests for a week as there was a delay from the suppliers; we also offer vanity and shaving kits should our guests forget to bring them with them.

I hope you will consider staying with us again if you come back to Bath.

Karen Bassett – General Manager
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I chose to book my husband and I into the Francis Hotel as I thought it was in a superb location for exploring Bath. We arrived by train and found it was an easy walk with our luggage to the hotel.

This was my first time to Bath and planned this day and overnight stay to celebrate my birthday.

We knew we would be too early to check-in but thought it might be possible to leave our luggage so we could go off and explore. We found the reception staff to be efficient and friendly and were very apologetic that our room wasn’t ready but we told them we only wanted to drop off our luggage. Arriving at our room during the afternoon our luggage had been taken to our room.

We loved how the hotel had a quirky/eclectic feel to it and we were really pleased with our “Superior” room which included, amongst other things, a Nespresso coffee making machine.

Previous reviews often mention the beds. We agree, the bed/pillows are perfect and we awoke from an extremely comfortable sleep.

Included in our room rate was breakfast. We were shown to a table for 2 which we found it to be too cramped once tea/coffee and toast brought to the table. I just found the whole experience of breakfast to be a disappointment and didn’t consider it good value for the amount of money being asked because it all just seemed to be average. If breakfast had not been included we probably would have given it a miss.

To summarise, our stay at the Francis Hotel was a very enjoyable/comfortable and whenever we are back in Bath we would not hesitate stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
FrancisBath, Interim General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I do hope we see youagain soon.

Nicholas Bees