“Ok but pricey for what it is” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Ok but pricey for what it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

Arrived at 2.15 in the afternoon to check in and was told to wait in the lounge and ey would call us to let us know our room was ready. Sat there for nearly 40 minutes with no one coming to see us . Eventually got the key to our room. The room was on the first floor overlooking the square and the room was nice and overlooked the square. How ever the walls and door are thin and you can hear people walking by, talking and heard a baby crying for about an hour. Also e noise from outside is loud as you can hear traffic and people walking home from nights out. Maybe a room at the back would have been better. To be honest for the amount paid we did expect a bit more. Only had earl grey tea bags and no nor al ones and only one pack of biscuits, there are two of us!! Tv in the bedroom on the side of the wall so hard to watch from the bed. May need to get ear plugs o our second night.
However plus points only five minutes walk from centre and lovely quirky decor. The brasserie blah restaurant in the hotel is good and we had the set menu which was fab and the service was excellent. Have to say that if I stayed inabthagain would probably stay elsewhere to get a bit more for my money.

Room Tip: Our room was first floor which are pro. Best but would chose one away from the square
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
FrancisBath, Interim General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
I am sorry that your bedroom was not ready on your arrival. We do say that bedrooms are normally ready from 2.00 p.m. onwards (check out time is at 12.00 noon). We naturally always try to accommodate guests as soon as they arrive but this would depend on how full we were the night before and what time the preceding guest checked out.

As the Hotel is located in the city centre it can, on occasion, be noisy and the rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter. I am very sorry that the room had not been serviced to the correct standard and the Housekeeper has re-iterated the standards to all of his team.

I do hope that you will you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel at some time in the future.

Nicholas Bees – Interim General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Weymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

The location of this hotel is fantastic; the rooms are spotless and comfortable BUT the tone and style of the hotel are very different from what I expected after looking at the website. The website gave me the impression that this is a smart, boutique style hotel. In fact it is big (98 rooms) and much more impersonal than I thought it would be. For example, check-in was fine but no information was given about the hotel and it felt very perfunctory rather than personal. Also breakfast is served in what can only be described as a breakfast room rather than a restaurant. These things in themsleves are not problems if it's what you are expecting. It may be that I have misinterpreted the impression the hotel is trying to give on its website but I feel that the price charged (for us about £250 per night) reflects something better than what's on offer. The only things I can point to that were actually wrong are: service at breakfast- chaos, they badly need a manager down there- over loud conversation between bar staff and the fact that the reception staff didn't seem to know what floor their rooms are on (we were sent to the wrong floor twice). Having said all that I probably would stay again now I know what I'm getting. The location really is unbeatable- 2 minutes from the very centre of Bath on a beautiful square.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback, we are extremely fortunate with the location the hotel. On a less positive note, it is such a shame that the hotel wasn’t as you had expected it to be. I am disappointed that you didn’t find the Reception team to be helpful; we do have a new member of the team working on the desk and she is still getting to grips with the layout of all the rooms, I am very sorry that you were sent off in the wrong direction. I apologise on behalf of the bar staff and I have drawn their attention to your review. Thank you again for taking the time to write in and I do hope we see you again soon.

Nicholas Bees – Interim General Manager
Crowborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

I have just returned from a stay at the Francis hotel.The two things that stand out were the excellent location and friendly/helpful staff(especially those at breakfast).Being just a 2 minute stroll from the city centre it's ideally located for exploring all that Bath has to offer(which is plenty)The staff really couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable.

The twin room although small was well appointed with everything you need for a comfortable stay.my only criticism would be that the cleanliness of the room wasn't quite up to the standard expected.There was a thick layer of dust on the headboard and the carpet wasn't vacuumed during our 2 night stay.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends and family who are looking for a hotel in Bath with a central location.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Francis Hotel Bath. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the bedroom, which we have addressed as we are aware of the room you are talking about. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. I do hope we see you again soon.

Karen Bassett – General Manager
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

My review of the Francis is somewhat critical but from what was an expensive hotel to stay in I would of expected more. The room was small but well appointed and clean however i soon discovered a bulb that was out and that a towel ring was not properly attached in the bathroom - this would of been very painful had it fallen on someones foot. The hotel sorted the bulb quickly in fairness. The shower tray was much to shallow and one morning i ran the risk of flooding the room below as a tsnaumi ensued!!!
Breakfast was disappointing mainly due to a long wait on Saturday/Sunday morning, apparently we'd all come at the same time so our fault I suppose?!?!?! The staff tried but in all areas I would say their customer service could be improved for a hotel operating at this star level.
Must try harder or lower their rates......

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor which was ok, apparently the 1st floor have good ceiling heights though an...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, we treat all comments with the utmost seriousness and would like to ensure that the maintenance concerns with the room have been addressed, therefore I would be grateful if you could email me on h6636-gm@accor.com to let me know which room you stayed in.

Nicholas Bees - Interim General Manager
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed here with three friends at the weekend. Very central which was particularly useful as it rained all day Saturday! Recently refurbished so everything clean, bright and functioning. I stayed in room 212 which was a large bedroom at the front with plenty of room for table, chairs and other bits and pieces plus a large shower room (note: none of us had baths in our en suites). Hotel has a relaxed feel, staff mostly young and friendly. The only problem was at breakfast, which seems to be the way with all British hotels at weekends. There was quite a queue and not enough staff to manage the queue properly, clear tables and serve. However, the breakfast itself was fine (apart from my friend's rubbery scrambled egg!) and overall we had a lovely stay. I would definitely stay again, particularly because of the great location. Also the hotel was very happy to store our luggage after we checked out on Sunday until we returned late afternoon.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to send in a review. I do hope we see you again soon at the Francis Hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

My wife and I stayed on a Thursday night in November.
Having stayed at the old Francis Hotel many times I he past it was a pleasure to see he old hotel refurbished to a high standard.
Unfortunately an old building retains good and bad characters ...the floor boards still creak, the plumbing may not be perfect and the room space cannot be increased. Our room was quite noisy dude to it being situated on a busy road and there were passing party goers enjoying their nigh out until 3 in the morning!
The bed was very comfortable and the staff when pushed were very helpful.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It is good to hear from guests returning to the Hotel and I am delighted that you like the refurbishment. When the hotel was being refurbished we thought that the contractors had managed to sort out the creaky floorboards and it is disappointing to see that this wasn’t the case. We certainly don’t get the comments that we used to get so I think they must have got the majority of them! I do hope we see you again soon, if you call to make a reservation let us know your room number and we can see if we can get it sorted out!

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

The hotel has a modern boutique feel with a baroque twist that may or may not be to everybody's taste. We stayed in two rooms at £180/night and found they varied greatly - one was quirky and with a funky black and white bathroom and the second was comparatively quite drab and had also not been cleaned well either. Unfortunately, despite my request both when booking online and when checking in in person, my parents (who were my guests) were given the more unattractive room. I found this quite frustrating and it has further marred my impression of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VB1306
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room that your parents stayed in. Both of the rooms are classic rooms, which is the style of room that you booked, however, within each category the rooms in the hotel do vary in size, shape and décor. I would emphasise that we always offer each and every bedroom at the Hotel with every confidence that our guests will be happy. I am, however, very disappointed that you felt the room had not been cleaned satisfactorily; this was inexcusable. It is such a shame that you didn’t ask to see another room so that you could all have been comfortable.