“Good hotel with some issues”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 20 February 2013

It was our first time in Bath and we wanted a hotel that was central so we didn't have to walk far to see everything. Location wise, it is hard to beat the Francis Hotel. It is very centrally located right on Queen's Square and within a few minutes to attractions like the Roman Baths, Jane Austen Centre and the Abbey. The hotel has recently undergone a major refurbishment and it looks great. They went with a fun and witty decor that is a change of pace from the usual Georgian formal look.

Prompt and professional check in though perhaps lacking in warmth. This is not a place that will go out of its way to personalize your visit. Our room - which was a Feature room and one I'd recommend as it's just been refurbished - was very comfortable, roomy and had the colorful decor seen throughout the hotel. We faced the Queen's Square which was great. I read reviews that noise was bad from that side, but we never heard anything. Bed was very comfortable. Overall we were very happy with our stay and love the beautiful city of Bath.

Some minor issues that bothered us and might not bother others were the following - only one bath towel in the room, what's up with that? Asking if you'd like a morning paper during check in and finding out you are being charged for that every day. Housekeeping could be better - the second day, the beds were very messily made and the bathroom was not thoroughly cleaned at all. Breakfast we felt was pretty bad for the price. The pancakes we got one morning were so small that my husband and I burst out laughing. It was little things like that which made you feel like they are trying to cut corners and run on the cheap. Considering the work and money put into refurbishing this is sort of unfortunate.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte14
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Francis Hotel Bath. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the housekeeping and breakfast standards. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence

Kind regards - John Willcock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,387)

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We booked a two day stay online from the US. I prepaid for one of the two days. Unfortunately, our flight from the US was delayed by 24 hours which forced us to push our agenda back by one day. I emailed the hotel to notify them of the delay but I recieved no acknowledgment before I left the US. The day before our arrival there, I recieved a call from a manager telling me that the type of reservation I had booked had a strict no change policy and that I would actually have to pay for the night we would not be there, as well as the next two days. We decided to go anyway and wound up being billed for three nights istead of two, since this was a present from my husband and I had my heart set on this hotel. We asked to speak to the maanger when we arrived but did not get to do that until two days later. No manager was ever in sight.
That aside, the hotel is lovely, in a fantastic location. It has a lovely lobby area, a nice dining room on the lower floor where we had breakfast, and a congenial bar area. It is beautifully decorated with a bold regency hand but there are whimsical touches, such as the painting on the closet doors! The room was small but efficient, the bathroom was well appointed and well lit. The cosmetic mirror is too high, it is easier to tilt it up than bend it down.
All in all, we loved the hotel but in the future, I would find a different method of booking, so as not to get stuck as we did.

Room Tip: I rated it a terrible value because of our booking experience. I would defintely go back there using...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sending in a review following your recent stay with us at the Francis Hotel. I am sorry that you were unable to stay on the first night of your booking due to delay in your flight. The sales condition of the booking you chose is that no cancellation charge applies prior to 14:00 (local time), up to 3 days prior to arrival. Beyond that time, the first night will be charged. I believe a member of the reservation team called you in response to your email and explained that payment would be charged for the first night due to the late cancellation. On a positive note, I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel at some time in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

The location is very close to all major attractions so this is very convenient. The hotel premises are very modern. Common areas and rooms have a very tasteful design; all room facilities were very nicely arranged and organized. All in all a very well maintained and managed hotel. Just found the reception staff shall warm up a little. Found also the breakast staff a bit rude; nothing to worry about but even here some warm up would benefit the final score.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback; I’m delighted that you liked the hotel and its location. It was disappointing to read your comments about the staff, I can assure you that the matter is being looked in to and will be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Nice hotel, well decorated, lovely room. Very comfortable bed with masses of pillows, made for a very comfortable night's sleep. However do not get a room overlooking the front of the hotel- we came for a 2 day break, with no kids in tow we were hoping for a lie in but the trucks for linen collections and deliveries arrive from 6:30 to 8:30am with plenty of noise and clanging of trolleys, road noise could also be heard all night, the windows are just single glazed panes. For this reason I would say the room wasn't great.
Good location for hotel, everything's within a 10-15min walk.

Room Tip: Do not get a room overlooking the front square.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

I was sorry that you found your room to be noisy during your stay. Unfortunately, being a city centre hotel, at times we do experience some street noise although in the main it does not cause inconvenience to our guests and we allocated the room with every confidence that you would be comfortable. If you were to stay with us again, please request a quiet room when making your reservation and we will reserve a room at the back of the Hotel.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

We had a lovely night in the Francis Hotel. The location is of course perfect in Bath and I loved the stylish decor. We were upgraded and the room was a good size although a bit of an adventure to find up and down little flights of stairs. The staff could not have been more helpful - finding us an ice bucket and then making sure it had water as well as ice in for the bottle we had brought in to celebrate my birthday and then helping me out to the car with the bags the next day.
Loved the picture of the Roman Baths on the inside of the shower but the bed was my favorite feature. The most comfortable bed I have had for a very long time. You just sink into the soft mattress topper but it is firm underneath, just perfect.
The only shame was that we were only staying one night.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind words. Very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel in a perfect location!
From here you can walk to any area of the city, I would not recommend bringing a car, the queues everywhere and the high cost of parking just don't seem worth it when the train station is so close!
The hotel was clean and the rooms very nice, breakfast was amazing (but not cheap) and the service was good.
The tacky reception is a bit of a worry when you first walk in, but the rest of the hotel is tastefully decorated.
If your staying in bath, do not go to the chain pubs and restaurants, the independent ones offer far better foods and drinks for probably a lot less, and there are loads to choose from!
I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for sending in a constructive review following your stay in Bath. Parking in Bath is costly and, if it is convenient, coming by train is a good option. As you say, everything is within walking distance. There are a lot of very good independent bars, cafes and restaurants in the city. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I haven't been to the Francis Hotel for many years and what a difference milti million pound refurbishment makes, sadly not for the better. This is a classic Hotel in a beautiful Georgian city. The Reception has white shiny buttoned PVC on the walls HORRID The rest of the reception rooms are OK but not really in keeping with the style of the building. The rooms are rather dark NO drawers or shelves for clothes No hooks on the back of the doors to hang your complementary bathrobe. The tea & Coffee tray is on the floor in the cupboard The bathroom floor has very cold tiles the controls for the bath & shower are badly displayed with very small icons on the top of the various levers & taps, you need to be 6'6" to see them while standing in the bath. The beds are VERY comfortable.
Very good breakfast choice but at £19.50 it ought to be, rather a long wait for cooked when the Hotel is full. Continental is the same price which is not acceptable. The male staff are dressed in suits with odd striped shirts ( not ironed) & no ties they look unprofessional & scruffy.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the side road above the entrance to Brasserie Blanc they are very noisy &...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank philippa h

It is disappointing that you don’t like the some of the design of the newly refurbished Francis Hotel. In general, we have had extremely positive feedback; sadly, it isn’t possible to please everyone’s tastes. The shelving situation in the rooms is currently being actioned as, following feedback from guests such as yourselves, we appreciate that this is an area that was overlooked on the original design. It is inexcusable that the uniform of the staff member was unironed and I have spoken to the team. On a positive note I am pleased that you found the bed to be comfortable.