“dont be fooled by the francis”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 19 November 2013

our family have been coming here for the last few years when karen was the gm!we lover the francis and return each year.sadly things have changed for the worst!dont get me wrong the refurbishment is amazing,but what really let us down was the sloppy inexperienced service!on arrival reception was lovely all smiles and very friendly..on our breakfast visit things were not very organized and things were messy!had to wait around about 45minutes for our cooked breakfast to arrive and when it did order was undercooked and wrong!bath is a lovely city and there are many a good places around!now the reason we wont return and are disgusted is the service in bar/lounge!apon been greated by an american waiter he was lovely at first.afternoon tea was tremendous and was quite alot for us!we only had enough to pay for it and couldnt include a service charge at the time!on explaning this to the american jason i think,got a sudden change in facial expression and was spoken to rudely after!i left it at that.coming back later that evening he clearly recognised us and were made to wait for service and was spoken to like garbage and in a tone that was condescending shouldnt be used in front of PAYING GUESTS! we did tip this time and he was then full of smiles!on the 2nd breakfast we spoke to our lovely waiteress and explained what had happened!she said he speaks like that to everyone and many a staff had left because of him,swhe herself was made to feel worthless and cry before!left it at that and didnt think much of it again!went back to bar with my husband and was told couldnt get coffee after 9.30 by the disgraceful american!left vbar for a cigarette out back and low and behold he was drinking a pint and smoking in garden!im disgusted by this and shall not be returning!as soon as u cant afford a £1 tip be prepared to take the brunt of a shallow individual who clearly only has money on the brain!we will try the bath spa in future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank charlotte m
FrancisBath, Operations Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

I am so sorry that you had such a poor experience in the Bar when you were with us; this is absolutely inexcusable. I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me either by email on h6636-om@acor.com or by phone on 01225 424105.
Kind regards – Pash Naidoo

Write a ReviewReviews (2,392)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

What a lovely hotel. I'm really difficult to please in hotels but this place is one of the best I have stayed at. A last minute booking and yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for. The room was huge with a nice touch of a coffee machine in the room. The bar was great with Alex in the bar. What a great guy to have on your staff. Really enjoyed our stay. We didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. Check in and check was easy and George on reception was a cool guy with a professional sense of humour which I like. To many hotels have staff that are to stuffy but not here. Will stay there again so please do not change anything.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

What a wonderful boost to morale – it is always great to read positive reviews. Thank you very much for sending it in.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for three nights, and the location of the hotel made it easy to tour the city and also to get to many nearby pubs and restaurants. The hotel is part of MGallery which posts specials, we paid for two nights and stayed for three. One week before we arrived, we received an upgrade opportunity to be reserved before arrival; the MGallery phone line was not helpful in this regard, I recommend contacting the hotel directly. Queen Square is directly across the street and made for an easy navigation tool getting around the city...and getting easily back to the hotel. The upgraded room was large with deep blue carpet and a four-poster bed. For those with limited mobility, there is an elevator, but beware that the entrance door to the hotel may be difficult for those in a wheelchair. The main door is a revolving door of average size, and the adjacent traditional door is not easily navigated, even on foot as it is atop a metal grid (slippery) that requires two quick 90 degree turns to get to the street.

The hotel staff was helpful and the room was spacious and comfortable. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review; we do appreciate you taking the time to send it in and hope it won’t be too long before you make a return visit.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed Fri room only basis , the hotel was very good , room 223 , not massive but big enough , walk in shower, bathrobes , good bar and staff friendly, lunch was first class and very reasonably priced considering hotel , a bit noisy at night with Queen Square opposite but heh its a city so what do you expect. Car park at hotel £15 for 24 hours which again is good value. Location is perfect as it is central and 50 yards from shopping area. make sure you visit green park market its funky , make sure you book your restaurant for evening early as they are all very popular , we ate at Woods Alfred St and can recommend it. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Front rooms are noisier
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive and constructive review. We do appreciate you taking the time to send it in and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I love the position of this hotel, just perfect for visiting Bath. I stayed for only one night and was really pleased with the room and the friendliness of the staff was just lovely. I would happily stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

It is great to see you have enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope it won’t be too long before you return.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I loved this charming, little hotel. Rooms were clean, spacious, and each had a unique touch. My friends and I arrived from London at 2AM and were checked-in by a friendly yet professional desk manager. Then, the most pleasant, hospitable, old man helped carry our luggage bags to our rooms. They were the only two people on staff. I was pleased at how welcoming they were; even large hotels often have tired, grumpy staff sulking at guests who check in at this hour.

I slept so peacefully from the silence. This is not a new hotel building, but I was never bothered with sounds of footsteps or doors slamming. The bathroom was very spacious and water was always steaming hot (LOVE!). I liked how they put a wallpaper of the Roman Baths in the shower - a very cute detail. We didn't get a chance to have breakfast or any meals here, but would have loved to since the dining areas were so charming!

The only reason I am taking a star off is because:

1. They don't have any elevators
My friend and I felt quite bad for the old man who was carrying our heavy luggage bags up 3-4 flights of stairs. We would have carried them ourselves, but we had a LOT inside since we had packed for 3 weeks, and because we're two tiny Asian girls.

2. How rude the other guests were
My friend and I were waiting for our cab. We sat on the main sofa in the hotel lobby. We were both hunched over to watch a Christmas video on my friend's phone. I had sat with my legs crossed, and because I was leaning towards her, the top of my boots were on the sofa. This old lady then shouted at me for "putting feet on the couch," which I never did! I don't know if she was especially discriminatory due to my race of age, but this was completely unacceptable. I have been traveling my entire life, and have never experience such an unpleasant encounter with another guest at a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I see that it was almost a year ago when you stayed with us and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable time. I think you must have stayed in the new wing of the hotel, which doesn’t have lifts although the rest of the building is fully serviced by our lift. I really am very sorry that a guest was rude to you; unfortunately this is an area that we have no control over. I do hope you return to the Hotel is you are ever in Bath again.
Kind regards – John Willcock

Reviewed 14 November 2013

It is just right at the Queen Square in the city with a private parking. The Red Bus for a little tour of the town is just nearby. Basically, everything is at walking distance, not even 5 min walk to the Roman Bath and the Abbey. All the shops, cafés and restaurants, what you need are close.
The food at their bar is great. The staff are professional, helpful and friendly. A bit disppointed that nothing has been offered for a birthday celebration!
Room: Only the rain woke us up because of the gutter at our window. I wish the bathroom has more shleves for stuff. Not ideal for a long stay.

Room Tip: a quiet room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for sending in a review. I am disappointed that we hadn’t picked up the fact that you were here celebrating a birthday; this really is unusual as we pride ourselves on these details and stringently go through every reservation prior to the arrival. I do hope we see you for any future celebrations.
Kind regards – John Willcock