“Quirky but quality”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at The Francis and we would readily stay there again when we next visit Bath. I chose this hotel mainly due to its very central location and good reviews, and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed in any way. Check-in was very friendly and efficient and we were helped from the hotel car park with our bags. I would note that some of the parking is quite tight, so if you have a large 4 x 4 then not all spaces would be suitable. We had booked one of the feature rooms and we were given a room on the third floor which I was pleased about in case we had had creaky floorboards above. The room was very spacious and comfortable with lots of quirky touches. The carpets were very thick and plush, as were the wonderful bath towels which were some of the most luxurious I have come across.

The city centre is literally a two minute walk and after a wander around the Christmas market we headed back to eat in the lovely Brasserie Blanc adjoining the hotel. The food and staff were wonderful, even when my husband set light to the drinks menu with the candle by mistake! We thought the meal was extremely good value for such quality. We then rounded off the evening with drinks in the hotel bar which was comfortable with a nice atmosphere.

The bed was extremely comfortable with good quality bed linen, however as this is a city centre it was quite noisy at times with late night revellers and then traffic from about 5.30 am, so be aware. Breakfast was very tasty with speedy service and checkout was swift and straightforward.

As with all my favourite hotels, it is the staff that make the difference between an average or very enjoyable stay and I am pleased to say that the staff in both the hotel and the Brasserie Blanc were extremely friendly and very good at their jobs. It was a real pleasure to stay in The Francis and I will be recommending it to others.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor to be furthest from traffic noise etc
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SusieJM
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for sending in a review following your stay with us. It is a real morale booster and hope it won’t be too long before you return.
Kind regards – John Willcock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,392)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We use this hotel for our Christmas get-together since it is perfectly placed for shopping, theatre, etc yet in a peaceful situation overlooking Queen Square in the heart of the city. Since our last visit the hotel has been refurbished to a high standard. The facilities are excellent and the front of house staff welcoming and very helpful. Our every need was met and the staff couldn't do enough to make our stay pleasurable. Sadly, this year, we did not have enough time to enjoy the Brasserie Blanc restaurant (a favourite) but this will be rectified on our next visit! We would not hesitate to recommend this friendly but sophisticated hotel.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, or find stairs challenging, or use a wheelchair, then ask for Room 9...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank LandDG

I am delighted that we are your place of choice for your get together and look forward to welcoming you all back for your next meeting.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Having returned today from a three night stay, I hovered over what rating to give this hotel. The location in central Bath couldn't be bettered, the building is beautifully decorated, the furnishing and comfort is excellent except there were no drawers for clothes. However the service can be awful. When we arrived we found there were no tea bags, bottled water etc in our room which was cold. Heating wouldn't work properly so we were provided with a heater. The next morning we had to queue for 15 minutes for breakfast and then had to wait for food to be replenished. When we returned at 6pm after a day out, we found our room hadn't been serviced. This morning we waited over half an hour for tea and toast! Unbelievable! They did knock the price of the breakfast from the bill but we would rather that it hadn't happened. Have stayed at other Mercure hotels abroad and they were fine. Can only assume the management at Bath just haven't grasped the importance of making hotels run smoothly and it's no good just pleading they were busy. That's what hotels are supposed to be.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank olgaworcester

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. I really am very sorry that you were disappointed with parts of your stay. As you have also written directly to the Hotel I will be in touch.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I rarely think of leaving reviews but our stay here earlier this year was fantastic – we didn't find a thing to criticise. The staff were pleasant, efficient and helpful, the decor great and room properly cleaned, so it seemed rude not to record this.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank c e
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay earlier this year and I do hope you return soon. Thank you for sending in your review.
Kind regards – John Willcock – General Manager

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I booked a feature room which was meant to be the top category of room however when we checked in and saw the room it was on the first floor, right above the front door, the room was small but the biggest issue came when we complained and were told by reception that all the rooms had checked in and nothing could be done but she would talk to the GM and call us back in 2 minutes. 15 minutes later we called down to reception as we still hadn't heard anything and where told "there was mad rush of check-in's at the front desk" clearly we had been lied to. Thankfully Nicola came to the rescue and showed us another room that was much more quieter at the back of the hotel and the added bonus of more space, Nicola is an asset to your team and I thank her for going over and above to accommodate us. Apart from the check in drama the hotel does have a nice little bar area for a post dinner night cap and they make a decent cocktail. The breakfast was abysmal which was unfortunate and either an internal hotel guest or reception kept calling our room at 9:30am Sunday morning until I finally answered only to be told sorry I've dialed the wrong room! not the greatest wake up call especially when I didn't request one! All in all the location is the best thing going for this hotel, some staff member need a little more education on the local area I asked for a taxi to take me to Radstock and the receptionist thought it was a restaurant! Service needs improving by most staff members as lying to guests is completely unacceptable in my opinion and leave distaste in ones mouth!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank heidi c

Thank you for sending in a review following your stay. I am so sorry that you feel that you were ‘lied to’. This really isn’t the case, the hotel was incredibly busy and it was a mistake made by the Receptionist. On a positive note, I am delighted that Nicola was able to find you alternative accommodation; she is over the moon that you have singled her out. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back at some time in the future.
Kind regards – John Willcock – General Manager

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Francis for 3 nights for our mini-Honeymoon, we married on 20th November and stayed from 20th to 22nd. We booked a 'feature room' and paid almost £500 which included breakfast, at the time of booking I had slight reservations over the price but as it was a special occassion I decided to go ahead. The good points are that the hotel is very tastefully decorated throughout and in a very central location to enable you to walk easily to all the attractions you could possibly want to see. However, the not so good points are as my husband unfortunately broke his leg just 3 weeks before we were due to marry, I emailed the hotel to explain what had happened and they phoned me, I asked if under the circumstances I could either cancel or move the date for when my husband was fully recovered, the answer was no on both counts. So we decided to go ahead with our visit as planned, I drove us to the hotel and we parked in the hotels car park. When we got to Reception, we were greeted by a very 'wooden' receptionist who could clearly see that my husband had a broken leg and was on crutches. I was very tired after my wedding in the morning, the long drive and carrying our large suitcase on my own, but there was no attempt at all to help us, we were just given the key to room 114. We went upstairs on our own and although the room was very nice, it was absolutely freezing!! After grappling with the heating system we managed to work out how to turn in on and then went out for some dinner to give the room a chance to warm up. In my opinion for the money we paid we should have been treated better, oh I forgot they did leave us a postcard and 3 chocolates in a box to 'congratulate' us on our wedding! Other minuses are that we had to ask to have our room cleaned on one occassion whilst we were out and we both kept waking up on all three nights because of noises outside our room. The Hotel Manager does know about some of this and apologised but that is all. On a positive note, the breakfast staff and bar staff were an absolute delight.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzy572

Firstly, congratulations once again on your wedding and I hope you had a wonderful day. There are extreme circumstances, such as yours, where we do try to be more flexible, even though the reservation was non-transferable, non- refundable, and I am disappointed that this wasn’t the case when you called. Please feel free to call me on 01225 424105 to discuss this further.
Kind regards - John Willcock

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Our afternoon tea for 4 people was a little disappointing. We arrived hungry and thirsty a few minutes before our reservation time and were told our table would be 2 minutes. We were asked to take a seat in the lobby. 20 minutes later we were finally shown to our table. All four of us chose English Breakfast tea (a nice easy order!)yet it took 15 minutes before two pots of tea were delivered to our table. 20 minutes later there was still no sign of our food. After enquiring if there was a "problem" in the kitchen our afternoon tea finally arrived - unfortunately we had long finished the original pot of tea so had to wait again for a fresh one. The sandwiches and scones were lovely but the other cakes were nothing special - they looked and tasted shop bought. The staff were all very smiley, polite and apologetic but the whole experience was marred by the poor service and disappointing selection of cakes. Our next visit to Bath wont include Afternoon tea at the Francis Hotel - shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LBM55

Thank you for sending in a review. I am sorry there was a delay in being seated on arrival; it was a busy day in the hotel with all tables in the Lounge and Bar being occupied. It is disappointing that the service was inconsistent and please rest assured we have taken the appropriate measures to address this, however, I am pleased that you found the staff to be polite. The cakes that we serve with our Afternoon Tea are top quality and are handmade by Zuidam, a Specialist Patisserie company it is a shame that they weren’t to your liking. I do hope you will consider returning to the hotel the next time you are in Bath.
Kind regards - John Willcock