“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have nothing but positive things to say about this hotel. My first time to Bath was outstanding and a lot of that has to do with this hotel - location, knowledgeable staff, and cozy charm of the Francis. I've already recommended this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you very much for your recommendations. Bath is a fantastic city and we hope you will return to the Francis for a second visit very soon.
John Willcock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This is mine and my husbands third stay at this centrally located large hotel. We love how easy it is to walk into town in seconds and we also like the decor, however we won't be staying there on our next trip to Bath.
The reception area/staff runs smoothly and we have never had any problem parking, however we did notice a decline in the level of service, particularly in the bar. The staff could not locate a cocktail menu and said 'just tell us what you want', not what you would expect from a 4 star establishment. When they did find it it was passed from table to table and the two staff on duty seemed completely overwhelmed, and spent most of the time spraying cleaner onto tables and flicking cake crumbs with their jay clothes, nice. Seating was a problem too, when none was available we were left to wander out back to our room to order room service instead.

The phone in our room did not work and so we had to walk back down to reception to order drinks, yet we were still charged a £5 'tray service'.

Our room was comfortable, stylish and quiet although the noise when running hot water was horrendous and really tedious when running a bath.

We didn't have breakfast as we prefer to go to one of the many surrounding independent cafés close by where food is cheaper and really lovely.

Although we do like this hotel we have found that standards have slipped in terms of service, it didn't have it's usual buzzy christmas feel either (no music, lame decorations) and so we won't be returning sadly.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Warnerfamily4
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Francis. I am sorry that you found the service lacking in the Bar. Unfortunately, it seems as though you must have been in the Bar when we were extremely busy and the staff were doing their best to turnaround tables. I am sorry the service was slow and you couldn’t find any seats. I do agree that the tray charge for the drinks should have been waivered under the circumstances and I am very sorry that this did not happen.

The decorations that we had in the Hotel were exactly the same as they were last year, with the addition of a third (real) tree that went up on your second day with us.

It is disappointing that you feel that you don’t want to return to the Hotel. Please feel free to call me on 01225 424105 to discuss further.

EAST DEVON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here very recently and enjoyed almost every minute. The staff here cannot be more helpful and were lovely. The room was very comfortable, bed great. A minor problem was a slightly unpleasant damp smell in the bathroom. Breakfast was extra cost but excellent quality. Shame about some other guests who were very noisy in the room opposite ours. The staff however did their best to deal with them and offer some compensation to us. This is the only reason the sleep quality is marked down. Fantastic location just around the corner from the theatre and a few minutes from the city centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CHRISTINEEastDevon
I’m pleased you had a good time and I hope we see you again the next time you are in Bath.
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

My daughter and I decided on the Francis hotel for annual trip to Bath.
An excellent stay - we found all of the staff Most friendly and helpful especially as my daughter had had an accident and had a cast on her foot and a crutch. The receptionist took amazing trouble to find us a room away from stairs.
No queuing for breakfast on any of the three mornings and a good choice of food well cooked.
Our room was extremely comfortable and very quiet. Wonderful comfortable beds
With feather mattress toppers.
Our afternoon tea was most enjoyable on our last day and Alec was most helpful All in all a great stay and the Francis will now be our choice of hotel for our stay from now on. Thank you all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sue1366
Thank you for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Francis and I do hope your daughter is ‘mending’ well.
Near London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is a beautiful looking hotel, but I wouldn't want to stay there for more than a couple of days because it's impossible to unpack. I cannot say if this is typical of every room, but there were neither drawers nor shelves in ours, which means having to live out of a suitcase. At more than £200 a night this is totally unacceptable. There wouldn't have been enough hangers either for two people staying any length of time.
The bathroom was nice and clean, great fluffy towels but no heated towel rail, so if you showered at night you would have cold damp towels to use next morning. No bath, just a walk-in shower, but that was fine. Good quality toiletries by Roger & Gallet.
The breakfast was average, but the service was slow and both days we were halfway through eating before the tea and coffee turned up.
The hot breakfast wasn't very hot and the continental breakfast was uninteresting with little choice of cheese and cold meats.
On our first morning there I made tea in the room - only one packet of biscuits between two, which I thought was very mean considering the price - and spilled a little on the glass worktop. I mopped this up but it left a smear. When we returned that evening it had not been cleaned off and neither had the carpet been vacuumed, although the bed was made and the bathroom was clean.
I complained at the desk and the receptionist was very apologetic and did make a note of what I had said. The price of the breakfasts was deducted by way of apology.
So, all in all, I don't think I would want to stay there again, there are plenty of other nice hotels which are probably better value for money. It's a pity because this has the potential to be a great place to stay, somebody has obviously spent a fortune on the decor and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. The room, while at the front, was quiet with good double glazing, so we weren't bothered by traffic noise at all.
Well located and an easy walk to most things you'd want to see in Bath.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any with a chest of drawers!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HenleyWoman
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating your concerns. Please feel free to contact me on 01225 42405 to discuss.

Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Great location within easy walking distance of major attractions. We had superior rooms which were large and well-appointed although we were disappointed that they had only showers, no baths. Two concerns: when we made the booking they did make it clear that there is only limited parking but also said that it is unusual for people to have to park elsewhere. We were lucky but the car park was always rammed and it would be tiresome to have to park elsewhere. Second concern is the decor. Taste is personal but all four of us thought it was too self-consciously "fashion-statement-y" with far too many strident and clashing colours even in the bedrooms. That said, if we were going back to Bath it would certainly be our first choice because of the location and comfort.

Room Tip: We asked for quiet rooms and were put into a modern wing overlooking the side-street which runs from...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew893
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Next time you make a booking, request a room with a bath. Several of our superior room do have baths. All the rooms vary in size shape and décor so we could find you a different style if you aren’t keen on the ones that you stayed in. Give us a call and we’ll do all we can to find you a room you will enjoy.
Kind regards – John Willcock
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at The Francis and we would readily stay there again when we next visit Bath. I chose this hotel mainly due to its very central location and good reviews, and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed in any way. Check-in was very friendly and efficient and we were helped from the hotel car park with our bags. I would note that some of the parking is quite tight, so if you have a large 4 x 4 then not all spaces would be suitable. We had booked one of the feature rooms and we were given a room on the third floor which I was pleased about in case we had had creaky floorboards above. The room was very spacious and comfortable with lots of quirky touches. The carpets were very thick and plush, as were the wonderful bath towels which were some of the most luxurious I have come across.

The city centre is literally a two minute walk and after a wander around the Christmas market we headed back to eat in the lovely Brasserie Blanc adjoining the hotel. The food and staff were wonderful, even when my husband set light to the drinks menu with the candle by mistake! We thought the meal was extremely good value for such quality. We then rounded off the evening with drinks in the hotel bar which was comfortable with a nice atmosphere.

The bed was extremely comfortable with good quality bed linen, however as this is a city centre it was quite noisy at times with late night revellers and then traffic from about 5.30 am, so be aware. Breakfast was very tasty with speedy service and checkout was swift and straightforward.

As with all my favourite hotels, it is the staff that make the difference between an average or very enjoyable stay and I am pleased to say that the staff in both the hotel and the Brasserie Blanc were extremely friendly and very good at their jobs. It was a real pleasure to stay in The Francis and I will be recommending it to others.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor to be furthest from traffic noise etc
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SusieJM
Thank you for sending in a review following your stay with us. It is a real morale booster and hope it won’t be too long before you return.
Kind regards – John Willcock