“could do better”

Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Bath
San Francisco, California
“could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The staff could not have been more helpful and charming: full marks to them.

The public areas were sumptuous, but our room was fairly ordinary for the price.

The big problem was the breakfast at £19.50. For that price, we were expecting something more than the average budget hotel buffet - but what we got was even less. Poor choice, badly cooked. Well over-priced: if you can, go elsewhere for breakfast. It'll be cheaper and nicer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with MGallery Hotels

FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review about your visit to The Francis Hotel Bath. I’m delighted that you found the staff to be helpful although sorry that breakfast didn’t come up to expectations. I do hope this won’t deter you from returning at some time.
Kind regards - John Willcock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
South Staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

we enjoyed our stay immensely, the room was lovely as was the breakfast. the staff were extremely warm and friendly with the exception of the curt receptionist who attended to us when we arrived, otherwise I would have given a 5 star rating. fantastic location and we parked at Charlotte street which is a 5 minute stroll from the hotel.

Room Tip: seagulls kept us awake all night, but I don't suppose it matters what room you are in. maybe bet...
1 Thank GailSouthStaffs
I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay although disappointed that your welcome wasn’t as it should have been. I do hope you will be back soon.
Wirral
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here last weekend in June, following extremely high recommendations from an extremely fussy friend, so I expected great things. Hotel itself has lovely decor, and the staff I saw were certainly smiley. and professional.
The room itself was fine, nothing spectacular, and I am still undecided if it was worth the circa £170.00 - I have had far more, for less in other hotels both in the city, and around England.
Bath is one of my favourite cities, and I do tend to go any chance I can, I don't however usually stay at the Francis, and bearing in mind the cost - Iand the fact that you pay a lot more for this hotel than others with just as good location, and still have to pay for parking at the hotel, I don't think I would stay here again, unless there was no where else available.

Cannot comment on the restaurant/bar ect, as dined out for each meal whilst in Bath.

On the whole, I suspect the positives and negatives balance each other out, making this stay, for me, distinctly average.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
I’m really sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t up to expectations. It would be great if we had the opportunity to prove ourselves to you on a future visit to Bath.
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Warmly Welcomed to a lovely hotel. Beautiful room, luscious bathroom huge comfy bed. Scrupulously clean. Raymond Blanc bistro for evening meal and afternoon tea the following day. We really couldn't fault this hotel and will definitely return. Nothing was too much for the staff. If you can visit this hotel we would recommend it to you.

Room Tip: We had a disabled friendly room 10 which was on the ground floor tucked away. Spacious bathroom / we...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review and your recommendations; I do hope I won’t be too long before we can welcome you back.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently stayed in the Francis for a long weekend.The hotel is located in the centre of Bath so you can walk to most of the attractions ,shops, bars and restaurants.It has recently been upgraded in all areas,so you have modern facilities in a classic hotel. The breakfasts were a good standard and the staff were friendly and very helpful.We all plan to return.

Room Tip: Book a room at the front as the view is better
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gerry J
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for sending in a review after spending the weekend with us. I am delighted you all had a good time and look forward to your return.
Kind regards – John Willcock
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

It would be cruel to mark this hotel down to four stars. The front desk staff are among the best we have encountered anywhere in the world. So helpful and made every effort to assist me due to my back problems.
The room we ended up with was a feature room No 113 on the first floor. No bath but an excellent rain and hand shower. The king bed was comfortable although in our view the sheets should have fitted better.
My only disappointment was the breakfast. The coffee was rarely very hot even when requested, large pots were replaced with small on refills so we invariably had to ask for more. The breakfast buffet was only available on the first morning and the cheese offering was frugal to say the least. But please do not let this small negative point deter you from staying here....it really is a great hotel in a central but quiet location.

Room Tip: We were in 113
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Francis. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the breakfast, which we are addressing.
Kind regards – John Willcock