“Poor service, average food”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Four of us went here for afternoon tea to celebrate a birthday and would not go again.

No one came to take our order, we had to ask in another room and when our tea came we were not given milk or sugar, despite asking twice, and were forced to minesweep from other uncleared tables. The food itself took far too long from ordering to arrive even though we were the only group there and was distinctly average when it finally came.

Service was extremely poor, the staff were obviously badly trained and communication was terrible. Would absolutely never go here again which is a shame as the setting is so perfect and the location is great. There are plenty of other great places to go in bath so I wouldn't even bother trying here for tea!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Flick G
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Oh my goodness, this is disappointing. I would very much like to discuss this with you in person so I can get some more detail. Please could you call me on 01225 424105.
Kind regards – John Willcock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,360)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Everything a luxury hotel should be. We stayed in one of the feature rooms which had a "four poster" bed (very big, lovely and comfortable but although there were posts at each corner of the bed there was no canopy so not sure it was really a 4-poster). The fluffy towels were probably the softest I have ever had in a hotel and the staff could not have been more helpful. Definitely a hotel to recomend

Room Tip: You get for what you pay for, but check the comparison websites and get a feature room if you can
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your recommendations I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay. The four poster beds in the Feature rooms in the Hotel are a contemporary design; I do hope you liked it.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in August in a tiny, (but not the smallest) room on the floor despite the high price. It's a nice looking hotel in a superb location but they've crammed so much in to it that even the reception is a temporary looking lean-to next to the lift and there are too many rooms - hence the size.
I gouged my leg on the glass topped table when returning from a visit to the bathroom because there was so little room between the bed and the table. I mentioned this on check out and while the receptionist did offer me a bandage he wasn't really concerned that I was hurt or there was a real problem with this situation. He then presented me with our bar bill, without even a pause to consider knocking at least that off. I emailed Accor HQ, and the manager of the Francis emailed back a week later to express his 'clear' concern (!?) and would follow up with a phone call. I'm still waiting a further week later.

I'd give it a lower rating if the location wasn't as great as it is and the decor is good. So, the service and small room brings it down to 'average'. The table top wasn't broken - it just sticks out, so it's not a suitable design for a small room. Americans beware - you'd hate the room size and unlike us Brits, probably sue them for causing injury!

Room Tip: Ask for a big one!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me following your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back at the end of November.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic two night stay in Bath at this hotel. It has been recently remodeled and is decorated to a high standard. The bed was very comfortable. There is a small refrigerator in the room, which was a nice touch. It's nice to be able to keep drinks cool.
The hotel is located directly across from a park and it's an easy walk to the Royal Crescent and Jane Austen sites. It's also right in the middle of the city center, so close for shopping and all sight-seeing.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mysticaltravellers

Thank you very much for sending in a review. It’s great to see that you had such an enjoyable stay and we hope we see you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay in August. We had the nicely decorated spacious room 113 with a great bed and large bathroom. Only downside was no tub. Our room overlooked a park and was quiet. The lobby area was spacious with a nice bar area and comfortable seating. The staff were very nice and courteous. The location was great. We found great places to eat nearby and the Brasserie Blanc in the hotel had superb food as well. We had a breakfast and a dinner which were both outstanding. I highly recommend the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 113 was spacious overlooking the park. No problem with the car noise in the street below, wind...
3  Thank Peter G
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you so much for your recommendations and for taking the time to send in a review. I hope we see you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

A beautiful hotel. Very grand and regal. Classic period decor. Very friendly and helpful staff- cocktail waiters good sense of humour. Great cocktails. Quite a central location so easy access to shops and sights. Pick up a bus-tour from the square. Great rooms and very spacious suites. A treat to have a great restaurant attached! Definitely stay again. Parents first time in Bath so hotel was a good choice to kick things off.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary B

It’s great to see you had a good time with your parents and hope it won’t be the last time we see you at The Francis for their second ‘Bath experience’.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here in July 2014, and were very happy with the hotel.

We opted for the inclusive modern day spa package, and were really glad we did - it was superb. When we checked in, we spoke to the staff, who said that even if we hadn't opted for the package, that they would have urged us to go anyway. A rooftop pool with great views of the city, awesome! I digress...

The room we stayed in was at the front of the building, but we found it to be quiet and didn't hear any road noise. This could have been because it was a quiet evening, or maybe something to do with the alcohol consumed that night. The bed was really comfortable and the room was fairly modern, clean and tidy.

The cost of the hotel is probably our upper limit (cheapskates!) that being said, we wouldn't hesitate to book again. As others have mentioned, parking included would be nice, although I am not surprised that most accommodation in Bath charges for parking, Bath is a heavily visited tourist destination after all.

The staff were brilliant. Really friendly and helpful, without being sickly or subservient. Personally I don't really like being mollycoddled, so a smile and a "morning" were perfect for me. That being said, striking up a conversation felt natural and welcomed.

Breakfast was of a very high standard. Everything was fresh, in abundance and well prepared/presented. Again, staff took pride in their roles and made us feel welcomed. I probably ate too much...

All in all, would not hesitate to stay at the Francis hotel again, and I urge you to do the same. Spend the extra few quid and be safe in the knowledge that you're going to be treated well, sleep well, and eat, well, a little too much...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MikeyBoosh

It was great to read your review and it has been so well received by the staff; it is a great boost to morale! Thank you