The Abbey Hotel
US$150
US$138
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$216
  • Pool
US$313
US$287
1,538 results
All reviewsart barski barallium restaurantroman bathsperfect locationmanvers streetno air conditioninglovely hotelcar parktrain stationhotel barchristmas marketbooked this hotelone night stayafternoon teathermae spadouble room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Mistakenly we thought the hotel had started to refurbish the rooms. We were initially shown to a very small double room which was very tired and dated. On asking whether there was a refurbished room available we were told that there were no refurbished rooms other than a 'lick of paint'. However we were shown to an alternative room which was more spacious and at least had a new flat screenTV althought it still had the same dated furniture. However the bed looked nice and inviting. However we discovered when we slept on it it was from the 'Old tired hotel' that the new owners had bought and had yet to replace the worn out beds. As a result we had a sleepless night. Please be warned and if staying at the hotel make sure that you ask for a room which at least has a new matress!

The good news is that if the new owners can refurbish the rooms to the same quality as the restaurant and bar area then this very central hotel, with excellent food, will be a great place to stay.

The meal we had in the restaurant was excellent as were the staff. Breakfast was also good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a new bed!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Just back from a couple of nights at the lovely Abbey hotel. I m hoping to offer some constructive feedback to help on the hotels obvious journey of change. It's strengths are it's helpful and very pleasant staff -reception/ waiting staff and chambermaid (3rd floor). Breakfast was good although on the first morning they were clearly understaffed- two waiting staff absolutely run off their feet in a very full dining room, the second morning was a different experience, I chose to have breakfast at 7.30 instead of 9 and had the full and helpful attention of three staff. I enjoyed a good selection from the cold buffet and a hot freshly cooked and served hot choice, I would however agree with a previous reviewer that the black pudding
was extremely soggy, the triangle of fried bread was also not Good so I would suggest they are either improved or taken off the plate.
My bedroom met all my pre arrival requests I.e. a single newly renovated room with a double bed looking onto the square. While I think it was renovated in some ways ( new bed/blinds/flat screen tv/ bathroom lights) I am not sure if it experienced a full renovation, it's old fashioned style does not reflect the style of the beautiful communal areas downstairs. Also I would suggest that the cheep freestanding wardrobe should be replaced, satellite tv introduced and the quality of the toilet paper upgraded. The bed was however very comfy, the room was warm, the shower ok and the toiletries above the basic standard often found.
I only ate breakfast in the hotel, I requested to see a copy of the restaurant menu and was given one to take to my room, I chose not to eat in the restaurant as the prices were high, on my way out after checking out I noticed a sign for a two course early bird reflecting good value, I would suggest that this is brought to the attention of guests on checking in.

My request for a late check out was kindly granted. As I had a late train I spent an hour or so chilling out in the much underused bar. The bar is beautifully decorated with local art on display and lovely sofas and comfy chairs. While sitting in the bar people were in the restaurant enjoying afternoon teas, I could not help but think how much better these would be if the were served in the relaxed bar area as opposed to the formal dining room. Also the bar area could really be enhanced by an open fire (real or gas) and a big christmas tree. That said there were lovely lit candles, a good selection of news papers and the coffee I ordered was lovely and very reasonably priced. Would I go back, Yes!

Stayed: December 2012
abbeyhoteloperations, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012

Thak you so much for taking the time to write your review. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

I would like to comment particularly on your remark regarding the newly renovated room as we do not want to mislead our future guests in any way. Although the public areas of the hotel have recently been refurbished, we have, only recently started to make some cosmetic redecoration to some of the bedrooms and this is still ongoing, they have not been fully refurbished as we have some essential building works to carry out before we can commence with further improvments.

I am so pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one. We will be delighted to welcome you back to the Abbey Hotel.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

My friend and I braved the storms, floods and cobbled streets to have a shopping break in Bath during November. As others have said, the Abbey Hotel is a fantastic location with the Roman Baths, Bath Abbey a very short walk and Sally Lunn's is on the doorstep! Unfortunately the height of the water had obscured Pulteney Weir opposite which apparently is nice to see. We also arrived on the day the Christmas market started, so the town was heaving, but thankfully found a parking space in the nearby Manvers Street car park. This is just around the corner from the hotel so not far to walk with your luggage but the pay machine is a little outdated. It won't take notes, only coins or your debit card.

The market has been very well done and have a lot of different stalls, albeit a bit pricey. The nice thing was that the shops were open at the same time as the market, even on a Sunday, so plenty of opportunity for Christmas shopping or just browsing. We were also very impressed with the choice of shops in Bath, and everything was relatively close to hand. Dotted about are also lots of lovely restaurants and cafes to try. We had a steak sandwich lunch at the Tasting Room which was delicious. Our evening meal was taken at the Allium at the Abbey for the first evening (this was included in the price as we were on a special deal) and the food was amazing. The flavours were beautiful and the table d'hote choices came from the a la carte menu so it worked out to be excellent value. The following night we tried to book Sotto Sotto as this is opposite the hotel, but they were full. Instead we tried Sally Lunn's but they insist upon including their bread, called a trencher, in the meal and it doesn't really work as it made the food too stodgy. The meals were uninspiring and drinks came pre-prepared, e.g. vodka and coke, or gin and tonic, but I wasn't able to have a vodka and tonic! Having said that, the SL buns are delicious and it's well worth a visit down to the little museum to see the layers of shop through the ages.

Our room at the Abbey was at the back of the hotel so not a very good view as it probably is at the front, but at least we didn't have traffic noise bothering us. The rooms do seem to be incredibly hot in the hotel, and there was no control in the room to alter it. We were able to open the windows to allow some air in. The shower in the room was difficult to get warm as you had to run the bath water first to get it hot, then change the flow to the shower. Then you had to run round in the shower to get wet, so not awfully impressive.

All in all, this was a lovely break. The staff helped to make that as they were all polite, friendly and helpful at all times. This probably won't be the best value for money you will ever get with a hotel, but the location does make up for it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel and on your trip to Bath in general I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again next year.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

As previous people have found, location great. Only yards to Abbey,good restaurants, shops,pubs,and river. We stayed for our wedding anniversary and Christmas Market. The room was large,refurbished, large flat screen Tv, bed very comfy, very pleased with room. It was 204 on second floor, with good views also. When booking we found it best to phone the hotel and discuss with the staff what kind of room u would like, and what your like/ dislikes and preferences are. We found them very helpful as they know their rooms better than anyone. U may have 2 pay more for a better room, but we would expect that and as it was our Anniversary we thought it was worth it. We thought our room was fairly priced.we thought it well worth having breakfast
included. Our full English breakfast was great.no queuing for your food, waiter/ waitress service for cooked breakfast and tea coffee toast. Help yourself to cereals,rolls,cheese,fruit salad,fruit
juices first if u like. The scrambled egg and smoked salmon cooked breakfast was delish. We
found the staff very helpful and found the experience relaxing and a good place to return to
through the day for a quiet break in-between sightseeing,shopping etc. The tour bus which stops
right outside the hotel is well worth using especially if you don' t know Bath well.I'm sure if we
tried very hard we could find some faults, but we would have to try hard and only be nit
picking.So thanks for a great stay and we will be returning.

Room Tip: Phone the hotel staff and discuss your preferences.We found they knew their rooms very well and could make suggestions.
Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel, we value your comments and appreciate your feedback and kind remarks.

We very much look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

A pleasant stay right in the centre of Bath. Ideally placed for all attractions and Christmas Market. Room quite plain and simple but clean and comfortable. Staff were delightful and very helpful. Sometimes it is the staff that put that little extra effort into being nice that makes your stay even better and this was the case here.Breakfast was not buffet and only a slight grumble that the black pudding was soft and not crispy. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review of the hotel. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

We hope you will come back and see us again soon.