“Great location, friendly staff, comfortable room”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We were welcomed by very friendly staff at the front desk who even allowed us to check in early. The location is fantastic and the hotel looks like a great old hotel, not at all like your average Best Western. The hotel is a short five minute walk to the Roman Baths. Our room was comfortable, with a good bed and nice bathroom. Occasionally the rooms were a bit thin but overall would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank divarose1
There are newer reviews for The Abbey Hotel

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Three of us stayed at The Abbey over Christmas. Staff were all very efficient and friendly - nothing but praise for them, especially the restaurant manager. The food offer too was first class and I can see why The Allium Restaurant is so well regarded. The flavours, presentation and quality were all excellent for the Christmas lunch and dinners. Breakfasts were not so great - hot food decent enough, but the buffet selection underwhelming, however again the staff were very attentive.

The hotel changed hands in January 2012 and I understand that the new owners come with a good pedigree from the Cotswolds, which bodes well. They have a big task on their hands as the hotel is in need to serious investment. Understandably the public areas (lounge/bar and restaurant) were renovated first and are quite pleasant. We had two apparently refurbed bedrooms overlooking the Abbey. Good views but the rooms, especially the 'small double' my Mum was in, were not the best given the money we paid - lacking in the 'little touches' and not very cosy. The top of the wardrobe in our room was covered in a thick layer of dust. I know that sounds fussy but for £1600 for three nights (accommodation/meals and some wine) I hoped for better and the decoration was tired. The bathrooms were clean and in decent nick but again in need of refresh. The water pressure in our room was very poor, possibly as we were on the top floor. A member of staff explained that a three month plumbing project begins in January, which should hopefully do the trick.

The hotel doesn't have parking but I parked in SouthGate (£13 per day). I'd been a bit concerned about leaving my wheels in a multistorey over three days but it was fine and I would recommend this car park as it has CCTV.

Overall it was the food, staff and location that made our stay. I would definitely eat in The Allium again and thoroughly recommend it, but as a hotel to stay in I would suggest waiting until the investment has turned this grand old stager into what it promises to be in a few years, a beautifully situated and comfortable bolt hole with a fantastic restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors at the front of the hotel have beautiful views over the city and, at least at...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SweetPeasSouthampton
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We only had a one night stay, but we thoroughly enjoyed it, the rooms were spacious and clean and beds were very comfortable, service was first class from all staff we spoke to especially the chap on the desk, who was superb. Breakfast was excellent as well! We would definately recommend this hotel, especially with it's location being so central in Bath.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This hotel is an amazing deal for the location and the refurbished room ... if you get one. I stayed there for two nights and my first was spent in an extremely tired, old un-refurbished room in the back of the hotel. The window looked directly into an apartment building and alley-way, the tv didn't work and the bed and bathroom seemed totally worn-out. Luckily the staff is very accommodating so when I asked to change rooms on my second day, they moved me to a second floor unit with a view out onto the front square and the Abbey. Wow, what a difference! The refurbished rooms are so much nicer! It was spacious, had a flat screen television, much nicer furnishings and updated linens on the bed. I only wish I had asked for the change sooner. The only downside was the street noise from all the tourist buses so it might not be best for a light sleeper. For me, it was more than worth it.

As others have said, the location is amazing and perfect for a first-time visitor. It's basically across the street from the Abbey and about two blocks from the Roman Baths and Pump Room. I had no trouble walking to every major tourist destination and when I had finished my trip, the train station was about a five minute walk. I felt safe as a solo female traveler and was happy to have everything so close by. The only reason I wouldn't stay here on my next trip is that I usually prefer to be a little bit removed from all the tourists. The surrounding area was beautiful but also a bit like a giant shopping mall. There was a Yankee Candle store across the street -- definitely not an authentic, local experience. But for a short trip to see all the major landmarks, it cannot be beat.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank talldrinkawater
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday 29th December and paid £115.00 without breakfast.
Room was basic but clean toilet flush did not work my husband had to fiddle about to make it flush. Heating did not come on in the evening while we getting ready to go out phoned reception they promised me a heater which did not appear. Windows rattled all night and kept me awake so did not get a good nights sleep.Location was superb shame about the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We were lucky to get a booking in Christmas week in such a convenient location right in the centre of Bath. We are glad to say that Best Western have taken full advantage of the features of this lovely Georgian (1700s) building only a couple of hundred metres from the Abbey and within sight of the world famous Pultney Bridge, (smaller than the Rialto, but equally beautiful) . Best Western managed to bring the hotel up to modern standards of comfort and style without sacrificing the elegance that dates from the era of Jane Austin. Our room fronting onto North Parade was spacious, (however as this room is at the front light sleepers may prefer a room at the side or rear, the pub opposite had music until midnight, but stopped then and didn’t cause us any problems but worth checking beforehand), King sized bed comfortable, and as my wife commented, decent sized bath towels! They also included terry towelling bath wraps and slippers. Tea & Coffee facilities and flat screen TV, which these days is a given. We only had a single night stay and didn’t have the opportunity to sample the Allium Brasserie, (something we intend to do at a later date) especially as their new chef has a Michelin star to his name and they have already won the Bath Good Food award, which judging by the quality of our breakfast was well deserved. Proper dry cured bacon and local bread. The staff were all cheerful and friendly. For whisky drinkers, the bar has a fine selection, and a knowledgeable barman. All in all a very good find.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the area adjacent to a pub, not a problem but light sleepers may prefer...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic, central to everything in this quaint Historic city. The food is fantastic, the staff are brilliant. The rooms are clean and comfortable and food enough for a city break. All in all a quality hotel that is deserving of a good review.

• Stayed: December 2012