The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Where do I start? First impressions were ruined as we had to walk through a cloud of smoke as a man was standing in the doorway smoking. He could just about move out of the way, as he was deep in conversation on his phone, and we were not important. As we walked in we were greeted by smirking giggly front of house staff.
Got to our room, sorry box, after 3 flights of stairs and a maze of corridors, had to dodge the builders and cleaners en route. Our room was clean but the bathroom was very tired, no bin bag in bedroom bin or bathroom. No view just a frosted out window with a peep hole overlooking dismal walls and windows.
Every floor board from the bottom of the bed and in the entire bathroom made a terrible noise. TV was far too complicated when all we wanted was a basic picture.
Bar prices were beyond expensive. We had a "sharing" plate of cheese and crackers which consisted of 5 crackers, thin celery slices, 8 grapes and 3 minute slices of cheese.
Before booking this hotel please check that they don't have " The National Door Slammers Association" staying on your floor. The rooms next to us slammed their doors from 2000-2330. It shock our room.
I do have 3 nice things that make up for all the bad points.
1. The evening reception staff were lovely and so helpful
2. The bar manager was a gentleman
3. The bed was the nicest bed I have ever slept in.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liane W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here after booking with Hotels.com. We had a great deal for a one night stay, booking just a standard double room. However, upon arrival, we were told by the very friendly and helpful check-in staff that they had upgraded our room! We had an excellent view on the 1st floor. The room was spacious, modern and clean! The bed was very comfortable too. Full english breakfast was included and was very tasty. The hotel is in a perfect location, right in the centre of town. Overall, our stay at the Best Western Abbey Hotel was very enjoyable and would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here for one night on Friday and shared a 'Large Twin Room' with my friend. It was on the second floor and was great, exactly as described...As the lift was having a refurb' the staff were very attentive with our bags and with service throughout our stay...We came back to the hotel (after going out for a meal) to have a dessert, and they were superb, (very special)... Breakfast was excellent too with lots of choice, and best of all is this hotel's location...Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Room 210 if you are looking for a large twin room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

In the heart of Bath handy for sightseeing and easy walking distance to Roman Baths, restaurants and bars. Caring and polite staff. Would recommend to everyone. Breakfast was excellent and nice to be served rather than buffet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked 4 rooms for our daughters wedding. Wonderful location and such a lovely hotel. One of our guests had two little children with her - the check in receptionist was so helpful and polite - so nice after a long and difficult drive. Our wedding was early and we asked if it was possible for us to have our room for a further day - the system said the hotel was fully booked and to ask after breakfast when the 'day' staff arrived. By the time we had finished breakfast they had re-arranged it and we were accommodated! We cannot speak highly enough about the hotel and staff, from check-in to housekeeping. Only one member of staff let the hotel down - such a shame - however everyone else definitely made up for it. We plan on returning for a longer stay and enjoy being there without the 'stress' of a wedding. Yes- the building work is going on but it really doesn't spoil anything - that's part of life.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I was aware that the lift was being refurbished but didn't think that would matter so much. What I wasn't told either on booking, or on the rather brusque check in, was that the basement had work going on as well. When I arrived in my room at 4:20pm - a room just above the basement where the work was happening - there was a note advising you of the work going on between 9am and 4pm. The window in my room was covered with a film depicting a hot air balloon - this blanked out the view of the basement with all of the building materials. It also made the room dark and I couldn't open the window because of the noise! I asked to be moved and explained that I wished to work from my room before check out at 11am in the morning and could do with some natural light and less noise. I was then put on the 3rd floor. At 9am the next morning the (lovely and polite) workmen were in the corridor outside and the roof above my room. They explained that they were upgrading the plumbing throughout the hotel. They were very apologetic and noted the irony of my 'do not disturb' sign! If only the hotel had been a bit more honest about the extent of the work they were having done. Admittedly they wouldn't have had my booking this time, but they would have had my future bookings. On a positive the breakfast and staff serving it were lovely.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 6 February 2014

After a recent visit for dinner with a group of Bath accommodation owners I was so impressed that I bought my son back for a treat. We went for the fixed price early dinner option and for the quality of the food and service offered it was a bargain. Delightful belly of pork was followed with the best sticky toffee pudding ever. I wish I could describe the wonderful flavours involved, you will just have to experience it yourself!
Welcoming reception staff and friendly and helpful waiting staff complete the experience and we will be back for more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family