“brilliant location”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel based in the centre of Bath short walk from railway station and with easy reach of all the city tourist locations.
lovely room which had been recently refurbished and excellent breakfasts. Staff all very helpfull.
lift was out of action but staff carried our bags upstairs which was agreat help. We only had one problem during our stay was that the room was too hot. Eventually we had to leave the window open abot 2ft to allow us to sleep comfortably.
we would definately stay here again and would highly recommend it for a city break.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed here after being a victim of overbooking at the Holiday Inn Express and arrived quite late and feeling stressed.

First problem was that The Abbey has no car park but I managed to find a space on a side road which is free from 7pm until 8am. There is also a public car park nearby which may be free at night too.

The main problem I had was finding the hotel. I spent about 15 minutes trying to find it and it turned out I'd passed the entrance several times. When I gave up and phoned the hotel to ask "where are you?" I was standing about 20 metres from it. The problem is lack of signage - in the dark the hotel appears to be two establishments: a restaurant called Taste and a bar called Art Bar which is lit up all pink. When I left in the morning I saw the THE ABBEY HOTEL written in black letters about 30 feet up on the wall which was not at all obvious in the dark.

Having found reception the check in staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was well equipped and comfortable. However, my shower was only tepid and again in the morning I could only get tepid water when shaving. I was in room 102 which faced into a courtyard and so was nice and quiet.

Breakfast starts at 7am which was too late for me but the staff let me in at 6:45 for cereal, toast and coffee. Coffee was very nice, which is rare in hotels these days. The muesli also was excellent and there was a nice spread of fruit, meats, cereals and breads.

In summary, not ideal for business for me as I need to know I can park and also need breakfast at 6:30 but I would definitely consider the hotel for a short break with my wife.

Stayed: March 2014
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Steve C

Firstly may I say I am glad we were able to rescue you from the overbooking and can totally understand why you would arrive at us feeling stressed, that is never a good start to an experience.

I can only apologise that you found us difficult to locate, we are re-branding and our signage is under review currently, certainly moving forward, subject to the restrictions we have to work around given the heritage of the building, we will be making our location much more identifiable to arriving guests. Thank you for your constructive comments on this which help us in our planning.

With reference to breakfast, I was pleased to read that our team offered a solution to an earlier breakfast, on a future visit should you need to make an early start we would be very happy with prior notice to accommodate this and provide a full breakfast.

Thank you for your feedback and for business or leisure we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon, now you know how to find us.

Very best wishes

Reviewed 12 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a couple nights and enjoyed our stay.

The customer service from staff was excellent and they were very accommodating when we requested to change rooms (first was near a kitchen vent).

The room was nice and light, with huge windows! The bed was very comfy and bathroom nice and clean.

Breakfast was delicious! A great selection and really well done. We also ate dinner in the restaurant and this was very nice, although expensive, so good if you want a treat!

The hotel is in a great location for exploring Bath.

Would recommend to anyone staying in Bath and would return!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kit-uk

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. It was also good to read that you dined in Allium one evening, our Chef Chris Staines has established a great following locally.

We hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Bath.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Abbey Hotel Bath. My husband had his birthday during our stay and the hotel gave us a complimentary bottle of red wine in the room. This was a nice touch. The hotel is central to Bath and good walking distance of everything we wished to visit. We couldn't of got a better location! There is a car park around the corner of the hotel £12.50 for 12 Hours but the charges operate during 8am - 8pm. We booked a small double room. The room was lovely! Big bathroom, the bed doubled up into somewhere to sit and watch the TV, as there was a head board and cushions on one side and then the normal pillows to sleep, on the other side of the bed. The bed was comfy and we slept well. All in all a pleasant comfortable stay. I would stay here again but the small double was pricy and was still adequate.

Room Tip: Small double rooms in this hotel are quite adequate for two people to stay in.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maxine B
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel as a short 3 night birthday break for my wife. The room was very spacious and clean with all expected extras. (I had paid a small extra price for an upgrade) Service was excellent, good breakfast, happy staff throughout. They laid on an unexpected welcome gift of a bottle of wine to wish my wife a Happy Birthday. A very nice touch.
The hotel was situated very close to both the Abbey and the Baths also the open top tourist bus stopped outside. Not my favourite thing but this time I enjoyed the skyline tour.
Bath City is everything you would expect of a tourist town but done really well. Recommended: Komedia and Theatre Royal and also look out for Sally Lunns Restaurant and museum where The sheer quirkiness will infect you. Great place to start your evening off with an early meal before a comedy night out.
Loved it all and scored points with the wife.
Roof top hot spa is a must. Expensive but worth it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Geoffraser

We were all delighted to read your very positive comments following your recent stay with us and are especially pleased that you found our team helpful and friendly, they will always be our greatest asset.

Bath offers so much to visitors and indeed locals that there will always be more to see and do on every visit and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards