“Great Location for a Dip Into Bath”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Ideal location for exploring Bath on foot & only 5 minutes walk from the train station.
We arrived early to the hotel knowing we couldn't check in early, but the receptionist was very helpful offering us the opportunity of leaving our luggage at the house & offering a map of Bath so we could make the most of our day.
With several pubs and restaurants literally on the doorstep, not to mention the Abbey itself, it really is one of the best locations in Bath.
Checked in the the Joyce Hasset room, great size rubbish view, basic bathroom but the added touches of bath robes, slippers, bottled still & sparkling mineral water were very appreciated.
Our only negative was with the breakfast, over priced at £15, very basic, buffet table not very inspiring with only a basic choice. Breakfast served luke warm. The fried bread on the cooked breakfast was the worst we've ever had. Rock hard and completely cold. In fact it was so hard we could barely snap it in half using our hands let alone cut it!
Many of the tables were not laid up fully so the waitresses kept taking items off one table to move it to another which isn't a particularly good practice.
All in all, the staff were very good, the room very comfy and quiet but if staying again, we'd go and look for breakfast elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you want a view, would suggest asking for one on the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Bristol Bluebird
Delighted to read that you enjoyed so much about your recent stay with us and appreciated that literally everything is on our doorstep, it makes visiting Bath very easy and allows you to see so much more of the city.
In contrast I was very sorry to read about your breakfast experience and have followed up with the team taking on board your comments to ensure this is not repeated, please be assured this is not at all how we would normally conduct breakfast service.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back and hope we will restore your faith in breakfast with our usual excellent offering.

Best wishes

Proprietor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,505)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Couldn't fault the position of this hotel (everything in close proximity). The staff were helpful, obliging and friendly. The dinner we had Allium restaurant was quite simply perfect in terms of food and service. Only drawback was our room which looked out onto a very noisy alley and we got very little sleep the first night...it was a very warm night and we needed the window open but the noises below and the fact that the window catches were faulty so that the windows kept creaking open and shut meant we had to shut ourselves in. In fairness we didn't mention this to the staff (would have done if we had been asked how we had slept) and no doubt they would have dealt sympathetically with this situation ....we chose to have an extra glass of wine the next evening and slept rather better. Would definitely return....but not to a room in the same position.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alison C

Thank you for your very positive feedback following your recent stay with us, great to hear you enjoyed the location and dining in Allium. So sorry to hear you had a disturbed night, our reception team most certainly would have done all they could to put this right for you but I do like your approach to a good night’s sleep for the second night.

Sadly we do sometimes suffer from noisy revellers heading home, a downside to the central location that is in all other respects as you so kindly say is an advantage.
I hope we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Travelled to Bath by train - direct, and no parking or drinking problems!
The Abbey has to be the best located hotel for 'doing' the city. Everything is within walking distance, giving opportunities to get into places before the tour buses arrive.
Had 3 nights in the large room 105 in the front - highly recommended, except for the passing late night revellers (where did they come from at 2am?) and early morning refuse wagons.
All the staff had achieved the fine balance of being both friendly and professional. The lift is still being rebuilt, but we are still agile enough to decline the immediately offered assistance!
Breakfast was excellent and not rushed, and dinner in the hotel on the third night was delightful.
All in all, a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, don't have a room at the front!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, delighted to hear you travelled by train as it is such an easy way to come to Bath and as you say we are so near everything a car is not required.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by passers-by, sadly this does sometimes happen when folks are in high spirits, we will be sure to allocate a back facing room on your next visit. The good news I have for you is that the new lift is now fully operational.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bath soon I hope.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel based in the centre of Bath short walk from railway station and with easy reach of all the city tourist locations.
lovely room which had been recently refurbished and excellent breakfasts. Staff all very helpfull.
lift was out of action but staff carried our bags upstairs which was agreat help. We only had one problem during our stay was that the room was too hot. Eventually we had to leave the window open abot 2ft to allow us to sleep comfortably.
we would definately stay here again and would highly recommend it for a city break.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed here after being a victim of overbooking at the Holiday Inn Express and arrived quite late and feeling stressed.

First problem was that The Abbey has no car park but I managed to find a space on a side road which is free from 7pm until 8am. There is also a public car park nearby which may be free at night too.

The main problem I had was finding the hotel. I spent about 15 minutes trying to find it and it turned out I'd passed the entrance several times. When I gave up and phoned the hotel to ask "where are you?" I was standing about 20 metres from it. The problem is lack of signage - in the dark the hotel appears to be two establishments: a restaurant called Taste and a bar called Art Bar which is lit up all pink. When I left in the morning I saw the THE ABBEY HOTEL written in black letters about 30 feet up on the wall which was not at all obvious in the dark.

Having found reception the check in staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was well equipped and comfortable. However, my shower was only tepid and again in the morning I could only get tepid water when shaving. I was in room 102 which faced into a courtyard and so was nice and quiet.

Breakfast starts at 7am which was too late for me but the staff let me in at 6:45 for cereal, toast and coffee. Coffee was very nice, which is rare in hotels these days. The muesli also was excellent and there was a nice spread of fruit, meats, cereals and breads.

In summary, not ideal for business for me as I need to know I can park and also need breakfast at 6:30 but I would definitely consider the hotel for a short break with my wife.

Stayed: March 2014
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Steve C

Firstly may I say I am glad we were able to rescue you from the overbooking and can totally understand why you would arrive at us feeling stressed, that is never a good start to an experience.

I can only apologise that you found us difficult to locate, we are re-branding and our signage is under review currently, certainly moving forward, subject to the restrictions we have to work around given the heritage of the building, we will be making our location much more identifiable to arriving guests. Thank you for your constructive comments on this which help us in our planning.

With reference to breakfast, I was pleased to read that our team offered a solution to an earlier breakfast, on a future visit should you need to make an early start we would be very happy with prior notice to accommodate this and provide a full breakfast.

Thank you for your feedback and for business or leisure we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon, now you know how to find us.

Very best wishes