“Nearly but not quite 4 star. I should know ive stayed in over 460 hotels”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here 06/07/2014 and was given room 305 on the top floor.. Immaculate cleanliness throughout this hotel.. Room 305 what let it down from being 4 star.. the bath side covering did not match up to the bathtub which enables moisture and items to get down the back.. also bathroom shampoo body wash etc impossible to open as have a foil top sealed over each.. also a lovely modern wireless that informed me stations need retuning...and worst of all little sleep due to the heat in the room...no airconditioning is a real shame as the highlight to the property is the room service and food artistically presented by the excellent http://alliumbrasserie.co.uk

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Abbey Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location and friendly staff need to be mentioned. Further, its Allium restaurant is also a great place for good food and relaxing atmosphere. I will always this hotel if I visit Bath in the future.

Room Tip: Close to the train station and right in the city centre.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We came to Bath for a very special occasion and decided to stay here. We are so glad that we did. We were here for the graduation of our niece and our stay here contributed to making it a very memorable couple of days. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the location is perfect. We really loved it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FloMeophamUK
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had a fabulous time in the Abbey last weekend.

Our family had gotten together for a rare reunion to celebrate a special birthday & we couldn't have chosen a better location.

For the birthday meal, we had the pleasure of Daisy attending to us & we couldn't have chosen a more perfect person if we had tried.

In our group we had a mix of tastes, preferences & dietary requirements & Daisy took an interest in all of our requirements, doing her utmost to ensure everyone was not merely satisfied, but delighted with their
meal.

The same can be said for Justine who was always on hand if needed without crowding the table.

That is not to say we found the other members of staff lacking as every one was extremely engaging, polite, personable and (whether deliberate or not) more than willing to ensure their guests had a great experience.

Stay here to experience Bath and it's vibrancy & if you
have Daisy &/or Justine attending to you, you are pretty much guaranteed an excellent break.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014

From my initial e-mail exchange to ensure the right booking, through to adjusting reservations and meeting needs, the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant at the hotel. Although the rooms are unfussy, the hotel has decent facilities and a good ambience throughout the shared areas. Plus the food is much better than would be expected at a Best Western!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We only stayed for one night but in that short time the staff went out of their way to be welcoming and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The room was quite small but the view was amazing and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was lovely and could even be served in your room. It was lovely to sit outside the front of the hotel having a few drinks in the very stylish bar and watch the world go by. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma M
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed for one night, with breakfast included, paid for by the University of Bath, where I went for a job interview. I requested a quiet room away from street noise and was given one overlooking a courtyard at the back, and it was silent as the grave - apart from squawking seagulls, which didn't bother me at all. I can find only 1 fault with this hotel - there was no aircon, and on a very warm June night, a window that would only open a few inches, and an oscillating fan, weren't quite enough. That said, I believe the hotel plans to install air conditioning soon. Everything else was absolutely excellent - all staff were very pleasant, efficient and helpful - receptions staff and breakfast staff alike. The hotel is very clean and nicely furnished, with large fluffy towels and bathrobes. There's very good free wifi, and the room was perfectly big enough, with a spacious bathroom. The breakfast was one of the best I've had in hotel, not so much in terms of range or choice (though that was good), but in terms of quality - a superb bowl of porridge, and excellent cooked breakfast - made to order. This is certainly a 4 * hotel in terms of service and quality. There's no parking, and I was rather nervous leaving my car parked for 5 minutes while I unloaded my luggage before then driving up to park on the university campus, where I had a reserved space - the loading bay is intended only for taxis and buses, but the hotel reception lend you a notice to place on your dashboard, reminding any traffic wardens of the unloading 'agreement' it has - with the local council, I presume. Reception staff are very good - the excellent young man who checked me in arranged for my luggage to be taken up to my room, allowing me to get back to the car and move it.

I would most certainly make this my first choice hotel if I return to Bath - though not in hot weather (until they install air conditioning).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you don't want to risk being disturbed by street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SmithersMidlands
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear SmithersMidlands

Thank you for your review following your recent say whilst visiting Bath University, delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and most especially the team’s level of service and breakfast.
Some of our rooms do currently have air con but as part of our on-going refurbishment project it will be fitted in more rooms later this year in the hope that we are going to continue to enjoy wonderful summers.
Hope the interview went well and that we can welcome you to the Abbey Hotel again.

Kind Regards