“Distinctly Average” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Abbey Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Southampton
“Distinctly Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Booked this hotel for a short getaway and got a deal through an online comparator; Room was okay, but that's all, just okay. We were given a room overlooking rooftops which is where I suspect the online deals are placed. Staff weren't bad but they weren't overly friendly or helpful either. The hotel is well positioned but is merely trading on that fact and seems to have left the customer service aspect somewhat. Would I stay again?....No, there's plenty of others centrally placed, even a Premier Inn at half the price, and their breakfast is far superior.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear IanM
Thank you for your review, I can only apologise that you found us to be only ok that is not at all the level of service we aim to deliver, as you will see from other reviewers.
With reference to your room overlooking rooftops, we do not allocate according to price paid per room, as the hotel is comprised of three Georgian town houses some of our rooms are on the top floor, guests often like these rooms as they offer a great view of the skyline of Bath.
Your comments on breakfast do surprise me, unlike many of our competitors we offer a full breakfast selection which is cooked to order.

Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend while visiting Bath for a friend's wedding. The hotel is in a perfect location to explore Bath. I stayed in a 'cosy double' which was perfectly fine; the shower was great, the bed was really comfortable and it was clean.

There is a fan always going in the the room, so it is a bit hot, but completely bearable - apparently air con is coming soon.

Breakfast was first class, a great buffet and lovely hot food. Staff were all really polite and helpful.

Only shame is there's no on-site parking so you have to pay to park elsewhere - not that cheap in Bath!

Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Filmbuff1985

Many thanks for your review, so delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the room, shower, breakfast and team to be good!
Your comments are greatly appreciated and you are right Air Conditioning and new bathrooms are on the way for 2015.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Bath

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here in July 2014 and was put into a front facing room which initially worried me as it looks out onto a busy junction but there was actually not too much noise at night, only during the day. The room was BOILING though, I had the window open and a fan on the whole time and I still got far too hot - I appreciate there was a heat wave but some consideration should be given to air con perhaps?
I had a couple of issues with the restaurant too - on the day I arrived, I went down for dinner about 8.30 (a Sunday) - with the exception of one table, it was completely empty - yet I was told they could not accommodate me! This was done quite publicly, with the one existing tableful all staring at me. As if it wasn't awkward enough eating on your own! If there was an issue with getting a table in the restaurant, I think they should have told me when I checked in. I also found it hard to believe that on a Sunday night, after 8.30, there were no tables! I did say to the waiter that it was completely empty and was a bit surprised but he could not help me so I spent my money elsewhere!
The second issue was breakfast - this is not a criticism of the food or menu choice which were both great, but of the attitude of the staff - I was there two mornings, and both times, the staff seemed a bit confused and put out that I was even there....I felt that I was a inconvenience at times. I know it's high season but still.
However, having said all that - the bed was really comfortable and the room clean, plenty of space and most the staff were helpful - the location made it all worthwhile as you are near absolutely everything and the bus tours start from the door - ideal! I would stay there again, but I would plan my dinner's elsewhere and maybe just book bed, not breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sarah C

Thank you for your review following your recent stay, delighted to read that you would use us again when you next visit Bath.
Good news, additional Air Con and new bathrooms are being fitted in the coming months, we are just hoping that does not spell the end of great summer weather!
With regards to your experience in the restaurant, I can only apologise, it seems very strange that we could not accommodate you and I am still speaking to the team to get an understanding of why this happened.
Thank you for your positive feedback on breakfast, I am sorry you felt that this was let down by the service you received even when very busy we aim to deliver a high standard of service.
Your points have been noted and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Bath.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Lovely and friendly staff, but the hotel is in need of some real TLC. Firstly I was sent up to a room which was already occupied (embarrassing) and then given a room in the bowels of the building. Bathroom tired with broken tiles, room tiny and desk falling apart. Would not rush to go back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear KaneKane6722

Thank you for your review, I am so sorry that you had some confusion on check in and hope this was quickly resolved. Some of our rooms are located in the further reaches of the building and we do appreciate they can seem far away.
The hotel has undergone a great deal of refurbishment since we purchased the property two years ago, however this is by no means complete. Later this year we will begin the project to replace all of our bathrooms, further work is also going to be undertaken on the reception, bar, lounge, cloakrooms and restaurant. I am sorry you were disappointed but please do revisit our website in 2015 to view further upgrading.
Bradenton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Super location. We took the airport bus from Heathrow and walked about 5 minutes to the hotel. The baths and Abbey are steps away,as are a good selection of places to eat. Once you arrive, you can easily walk to everything you may want to see. We had a twin room, which was clean,bright and nicely decorated. The linens were good,as was the mattress. We were pleased with the comfort of the hotel and with the very pleasant and efficient staff. They stored our luggage after checkout in a secure and well supervised area across from reception. Definitely would recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Very pleased to read how much your enjoyed your stay with us whilst visiting Bath, great to hear your travelled by coach and the transfer was so easy.

Thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back on a future visit.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you are thinking of planning a short visit to Bath and perhaps a few sessions at Bath Thermae Spa then this seems to me to be the perfect place to stay in the centre in order to maintain the benefits of your treatment. It is only a few minutes walk away and offered us a calm and very comfortable night's sleep. We kicked off our shoes and buried our toes into the thick carpet of our bedroom cooled by an electric fan and although not at the front overlooking the square, had two windows and pleasant views of the neighbouring buildings. Headboards, cushions and throws were in a relaxing pale green tweed. The bedlinen was crisp and the pillows appeared to be new. A flat screen TV was mounted on the wall at the end of the twin beds and there were a couple of bottles of complimentary spa water in addition to tea and coffee etc., Room 119 had a bath with over bath shower, plentiful hot water, complimentary bath products and a good supply of freshly laundered towels. (Like a previous reviewer we did find the taps a little awkward to manage - just a very minor point.) Breakfast the following morning was served in their elegant, spacious restaurant at the front of the hotel where there was an extremely good continental selection in addition to the cooked menu featuring some locally sourced fayre. If you have a sweet tooth then go for the deliciously spicy stewed fruit and top it with rich creamy yoghurt. I'll look forward to it
on my next visit!

Room Tip: Room 119 is on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
abbeyhoteloperations, Owner at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Stefaniaspina

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is a pleasure to read your very positive feedback on the room, quality of bedding and towels and enjoyed breakfast with us too.

As you mention we do have a great location for exploring the city but it is the added components that you enjoyed that I hope make us a great choice of hotel.

Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back.

Warrington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have just returned from a wee break in Bath and stayed at the Abbey hotel. Parking around the corner for two days was £25.00. Hotel is in a fabulous spot. Walking distance to everything. We stayed in the Francis Moore room in the basement but it was a large room with a huge comfy bed. Taps in bathroom a little stiff but that's a petty thing for such a lovely room. Lovely bar area outside taking in the view in the sunshine. Breakfast is cooked fresh with fruit, pastries and cereals buffet style. Staff were friendly and very helpful. My only issue and it's a small one is the staff don't wear a uniform so you can't always tell who to talk to if you need anything. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and look forward to staying here again if I'm lucky enough to visit this beautiful city again

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
Hi Ellie
Thank you so much for your review, it is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay at The Abbey Hotel when you visited Bath recently.
Very pleased to read that you were comfortable in the room, on the subject of the taps, all of our bathrooms are being refurbished next year to further upgrade the rooms but in the meantime we have made adjustments.
I note your comments about a uniform for the staff and in fact this is something we will implement when the reception area is refurbished.
Thank you for the promise to recommend us and I hope we can welcome you back soon.