“Quiet and Relaxing evening away”

Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Bath
“Quiet and Relaxing evening away”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My best friend and I visited the Best Western at Limpley Stoke Sunday 7th August 2011. Lovely looking hotel on arrival, with a pub at the bottom of the short driveway. Beautiful views, which due to the weather were slightly tarnished. We checked in with a lovely, helpful young lady , who was very friendly, professional and informative. The lift reminded me of a guest house I stayed in once when visiting blackpool. I did chuckle at the fact that they had artexed the lift ceiling. The decor wasn't to my taste, but fitted nicely with the history of the hotel. We stayed in room 19. this room had a double and single bed. My friend loved her bed, soft and sumptuous. I prefer a slightly firmer bed, nonetheless slept well. Very warm and inviting room, warm at night, the bathroom was very clean with all the little necessities you may have forgotten.

We had lunch in the bar - we opted for the fish and chips - we can highly recommend this meal - delicious is an understatement. Bar service was a bit slow, no one actually in the bar, so I had to order at reception, not a problem though as once they knew we were sat there, a barman promptly cmae and served. We ordered the Sauvingnon Blanc - The Kings Favour, priced at £19.95 a bottle. very drinkable and palatable - complimented our meal very well.

Make sure you take cash as there is no cash points nearby - We both felt like real "townies" although obviously the hotel took card on checkout.

Evening meal - I enjoyed mine very much, my friend had the hake and said it looked beautiful, however it was watery - shame really. Breakfast on the Monday was very nice, Buffet style - we both really enjoyed until it came to the coffee - AVOID! it was horrid. but then again it was a good excuse to be able to go to Bath for a wander and enjoy lovely coffee and sights.

All in all a very nice trip - would I go back - Yes.
Hope this helps.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank thomas0277

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed here just for one night at a family wedding reception. The reception was well organised, the food was very good and staff were attentive and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and have great views over the country side.
Breakfast was a little disappointing, too slow to replenish buffet but overall a lovely hotel in a beautiful setting. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JaneyG_10
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed over night at the hotel as our friends had their reception there. Our room was adequate for what we needed. It was clean and the bed was comfy. We overlooked the garden and the train line which was fine even with the windows open. It wasn't like staying near Waterloo or anything!
We had a fab evening in the bar and reception room but I can imagine that it would have been noisy if you were staying there for any other reason!
Breakfast was good and kept us going all day until we got home.
Checking in and out were easy so no complaints there.
Overall a good stay.
Not sure that this would be the ideal location if you were visiting Bath as it's a fair drive away, but if your looking for a setting in the countryside just outside then this would do the job.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MahoneyclanBrighton
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here recently for a couple of nights this month. The hotel is a lovely old grand looking building.
The room itself was absolutely fine, had everything I needed and was clean and tidy. Massive bed which I almost got lost in!
Staff were generally very friendly and helpful, however at breakfast on my last morning there was an older lady training a young foreign man. He obviously wasn't up to her standards yet and was berating him for various things in front of guests (eg. him forgetting to say please when asking for room numbers. Tbh I found her telling him off in front of people far more rude than him forgetting his manners). I felt so sorry for him, I wish I'd thought to say something at the time.
Breakfast is a buffet type affair, which is fine, but the scrambled eggs were a little bit watery. I had a burger from the bar in the evening which was very nice.
Unfortunately a couple who I got talking to there had gone up to their room after check in and saw wet paint signs on the wall, so went in making sure not to touch the wall. Turns out that it was actually the door that was wet, and they got paint on their hands! Luckily the hotel moved them to a different room and gave them free drinks, but why would you put someone in a room where the door is wet?!
I would stay here again in future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Charlieoxox
Hampshire
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western at Limply Stoke near Bath for one night after visiting relatives. The location of the hotel was stunning. From our window we had fantastic views of Avon and in the distance the railway (from which we saw a steam train).
The staff were very friendly, the bar meal which we had was delicious and reasonably priced. We loved our room which was thoughtfuly decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable (very important if you suffer with a bad back). I would recommend the hotel and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoannaHampshire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

avoid this hotel the room had access by lifts but we were not told that there were a series of stairs to actually get to the room,. it has no fridge ,no safe,very uncomfortable beds,like sleeping on the floor. when the shower works it is a trickle,the lights keep flickering and sometimes go out altogether.we lost power in half the room (not for long).toilet barely flushes with many pumps,and the small room is airless , opening the window let the bees and bugs in., and these rooms have been recently renovated( on arrival they were still painting and the paint smell was unpleasant.)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucky184

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This hotel was what only can be described as a "mixed bag".

Positives - Clean, fantastic surroundings, good breakfast and reasonably priced.

Negatives - Old and jaded looking, lift not working (we were on the 3rd floor) and hard to find.

I would probably return to the hotel if needed although it's the sort of place that needs BIG money spending on it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business