“Nicer on the outside than the inside by far”

Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This appears to be a popular wedding hotel so I will keep it brief and try not to be too disparaging. I always expect too much from these BW hotels, but they consistently under deliver in terms of fittings and fixtures.

The small lounge off the entrance was a great room with really nice leather sofa's, good views and natural light.

The bedrooms were cramped, small, hotchpotch furniture, old carpets and sloping floors.
It did have a good flat screen tv and a good picture which was a surprise.

Even though my room was 1 St floor I had to go up and down about 4 lots of stairs to get to it down about 3 sloping corridors.

We did not eat In the evening but had breakfast in one of the most depressing rooms I have ever seen in my life, the food matched the room and was unappealing to say the least, topped by a crap pot of tea.

Staff were friendly but not that well organised, I was told to take my key with me, including the massive pendant as there might be no staff working when I returned ! Service ?

Cheap, not that cheerful and not one to go back to.
The wedding lunches etc looked well set up so I hope they focus on this activity vs the rest of us non wedding guests

Room Tip: Do not go for room 22
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GlobalCitizen2000
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

I apologise for your disappointing stay, clearly the quirkiness of our sloping floors is not to your liking.Our rooms are well equipped many with magnificent valley views and our location on the edge of Bath in the picture postcard village of Limpley Stoke is somewhat idyllic

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 22 April 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last week for 2 nights. Upon arrival we went to check in and were given suspicious looks from reception! I can only assume this was because we were younger than the general clientele, however, we are both mid 20s so were quite offended! We were put in room 4, and was pleasantly surprised at how lovely it was. It seems it had recently been renovated, as the hallway leading to the room could definitely do with a makeover. The bed was clean and comfortable, and we enjoyed having a television in the room, as we spent long periods in there because of the rain! However, despite the luxury of the bathroom we had only lukewarm showers which was annoying. Also, a recommendation to Limpley Stoke would be to provide bottled water in the rooms, I think there was the option of ordering a bottle of water from room service for £4.00, which is outrageous. The reason I mention this is because I believe drinking from the tap in the bathroom gave me an upset stomach; so please change this management! On the first night we went down to the Hop Pole Inn and had a really pleasant evening, with reasonably priced, good quality food. We went into Bath on the second night, a taxi was £11.00 each way, quite steep, but worth it for the glass of wine! I would stay at this hotel again, but think the staff should get more accustomed to dealing with younger customers; especially as we were nothing but polite and courteous throughout our stay.

Room Tip: I phoned the week before and mentioned it was a special occasion, and the receptionist told me she h...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harriet H

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and pleased you were able to enjoy the atmosphere of our very own local pub. I apologise for your initial greeting we are certainly not ageist and welcome all guests young and old. Room 4 is indeed a lovely room with great views and following your comments the shower has been checked and now pumps out a lot of water

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights when attending a course at Bath University. It was selected due to being one of the most competitive rates and as it was a training course I felt I couldnt really object to that.

To be completely honest I was *dreading* staying at another Best Western hotel after a bad experience at one in Leamington Spa (avoid the Falstaff!) but I was so pleasantly surprised by this hotel in Limpley Stoke that I decided to leave this review. My first!

The room was nice and clean, the bathroom was fine, clean and not too dated. One of the wall light fittings in my room was slightly broken at the wall bracket but this didnt stop of from working and I was surprised that I'd even noticed it, I suspect most wouldnt.

It was the service, the food and drink, and the building itself that really impressed me about this place. Not too many dishes on the dining room menu but almost all of which sounded tempting, I had a beautiful bit of venison steak one night in the main dining room and the nicest bit of steak (apparently only rump!?) I've eaten in a long time on the second night whilst relaxing in the bar area and watching some football on the TV in there. That evening they even had a pianist in playing on their grand piano in one of the very grandly decorated rooms next to the bar. They've got Murphys on tap in the bar (along with many other beers / lagers), and some great red wines.

All the staff I had reason to interact with were a pleasure to deal with.

I'd seen some mixed reviews on here so I just thought I'd add my 2p-worth. I'd definitely stay there again.. and it just goes to show that not all BW hotels should be tarred with the same brush!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, we also believe we have a lovely hotel and a great team all of whom consistently offer the very best in service and hospitality to our guests. I am pleased our mixed review did not put you off, sadly many people use review sites in a destructive way, often as a means of extracting disconts or complimentary upgrades and benefits,thank you.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Never heard of Limpley Stoke? Neither had we before this visit.
Being regular visitors to Bath, we decided to look for somewher out of the city.
What a super find! Set in wonderful countyside within easy reach of Bath, Bradford on Avon, Harry Patch's burial place and the nearby canals. Who could ask for more with an added bonus or an early morning wake up call from the plentful birdlife.
Hotel was excellent, staff polite and friendly and breakfast very good.
Only fly in the ointment was a disappointing experience at th nearby pub.
We visited on March 21st when the hotel was fairly peaceful but apparently the pub manager was on holiday!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobertRSwansea
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Great news we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.Limpley Stoke is truly a magnificent location,the valley is blessed with the Kennet and Avon canal,River Avon and a local railway which still runs steam trains.On the outskirts of Bath with its 16th century pub,Limpley Stoke is picture postcard England.We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

After a day out in the City of Bath this was a lovely hotel to stay. Set in spectacular countryside with amazing elevated views. The hotel is near a canal with walks to Bath in one direction and Bradford on Avon the other. The hotel room was furnished to a modern but in keeping with the age of the hotel,comfortable beds, had all the facilities you need. The Hop Pole Pub at the foot of the drive compliments the hotel and serves good generous home cooked food with a friendly atmopshere.Breakfast was all you needed and if you wanted more you only had to ask the friendly staff. A great stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 3 April 2012

As earlier reviewers have said the decor is tired and in need of a lot of updating. That aside the staff were all helpful & the room was pleasant enough.

Sadly we didn't have time to go to the associated pub - it could be a fantastic asset. We didn't have breakfast or dinner as it didn't seem an inspiring option.

Great access to bath - especially for using the park & ride.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel is overpriced. From the outside it looks like a really nice hotel but inside its a mismash of heavily patterned (worn) carpets and awful wallpaper - none of which matches. Staff are all foreign and their English is negligable. Breakfast was a dull experience - food was of very poor quality and both mornings I had to ask for more bread to put into the toaster.
We stayed in room 29 and our bathroom was lovely but the bedroom left a lot to be desired.

I was expecting a quaint hotel and left sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank celticdream
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us as we believe we have a lovely hotel in a magnificent location.Room 29 has a king size bed with a feature window overlooking the stunning Avon Valley.Our breakfasts offer a generous selection of hot and clod food,buffet style which is very popular with our guests.I will pass your comments regarding the wallpaper on to our interior designer who came up with the schemes for the majority of bedrooms and public areas. It is true we have some European staff who we find to be polite and extremely hard working. With prices from £70.00 per room I would respectfully suggest we are not over priced,local bed and breakfasts charge more.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bath
Radstock Hotel
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel? Share your experiences!