“Picturesque but dated”

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Picturesque but dated”
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

The views from the building and bedrooms are very idillic and the building itself is traditionally Bath but the compromise is that the hotel decor and facilities are dated. Decent but not special. Examples include , every creek resonates through the rooms, the lift is small and takes a long time.

• Stayed July 2013
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you found the hotels location ‘idyllic’ being situated on the outskirts of Bath in an area of outstanding natural beauty, with magnificent views of the valley.

The hotel is a period property with many traditional features that our guests feel capture the essence and grandeur of a property built in the Georgian era. Our guest rooms offer a contemporary feel, many being individually designed to enhance the original features and all are furnished with a full complement of facilities.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The location is fantastic, out in the country, but only a 15 minute taxi ride into Bath. Ask for a room on the top floor as this is much quieter, although some of the rooms are a little smaller, this seems a small price to pay for a good nights rest.
Breakfast is always great, lots of choice, and really generous portions.
The hotel often holds weddings, which can understandably put some people off, but the staff are always accommodating and friendly, and will advise you of this at the time of booking.. Things tend to finish by midnight, which seems reasonable!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you found the hotel and location ideal for your recent visit to Bath and our staff very accommodating, friendly and helpful.

The hotel is a period property with many traditional features and guest rooms and I was glad to read that you found your room comfortable with a full complement of facilities. I was also glad to read that you took advantage of our breakfast service and thoroughly enjoyed your experience and the extensive and varied items available.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was recently in the Bath area and required accommodation, the last time I was in the area I stayed at another Best Western hotel - The Leigh Park, unfortunately the Leigh Park Hotel was unavailable for the dates I required, but the receptionist who took my call pointed me in the the direction of the Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, a sister hotel of the Leigh Park and I'm glad she did.

The Limpley Stoke Hotel is set in a small village and I easily located with the directions on my booking confirmation and also my satnav. The hotel is very impressive large Georgian building, from the car park and outside terrace the views are excellent. My room was located on the first floor over looking the car park and the local countryside. The room had all the usual facilities and the en suite had a powerful shower, both were well maintained and very clean. The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed a good nights sleep.

The hotels bar was great, offering a bar snack menu and a range of beers. I took my drink outside and enjoyed the views. I did not eat at the hotel as the village has its own pub, which was just down the hotel drive. I decided to eat at the pub, the food was good and the service excellent. I may try the hotel restaurant next time but I really enjoyed the pub. I did have breakfast in the hotel which was also good, buffet style and all you can eat. Service again was excellent.

On check out my bill was ready with all the correct charges, it even included my meal from the pub the night before as you can charge back to your room from there. All in all a great stay with excellent service.

My only issue is that I will have to decide between the Leigh Park and Limpley Stoke Hotels on my next visit.

Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank alwaysontheroad2000
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed both of our hotels on the outskirts of Bath and that you found them both welcoming, friendly and set in stunning locations and surroundings. Many guests comment on the idyllic settings of our hotels and that they offer fantastic views of the local areas and are an ideal base for visiting Bath and the surrounding areas.

Our staff pride themselves on their level of customer service and it is always good to read when this has helped enhance a guests experience.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Nice room,comfortable bed and a lovely view from our bedroom window (room 28). The downside was..... the laundry room was directly opposite us and the door was left open subjecting us to the sight of dirty grimy walls and the sounds of a fully working laundry.Didnt complain as we were spending our days in Bath.Sleep wasnt helped the first night by a drunken individual sporadically partying and stumbling around until 3am(either room 27 or the floor above us) Unusually there was a pub which is part of the hotel at the bottom of the very short driveway,good beer and food served there. Friendly bar men at the hotel bar,one was especially attentive but unfortunately did not get his name as he was a credit to the hotel.Breakfast the first morning was a farce,we came down to lots of unoccupied tables full of breakfast debris. We were asked to wait in the lounge by the obviously overworked waitress,Ann,who was working at a furious pace.When we were called back to be seated, we found that there was sausages and beans but no eggs tomatoes or bacon.The guy who was helping(?) Ann,(at a vastly slower pace I must add) took 15 minutes to replenish the empty containers,so after standing with a half empty plate I could not wait any longer and had cold sausage and beans to start the day.Ann was very apologetic but we had no complaint with her,the hotel obviously needs to get its systems sorted out. I did not want to risk the same cold breakfast next day so ordered poached eggs on toast. They were lovely, hot and cooked perfectly. Although the place is looking a little tired, would we come back again? ......Maybe.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TonyA1958
Thank you for your recent review. I was glad to read that you found the hotel and your guest room accommodating and comfortable and that you also enjoyed the magnificent views from your window. Many of our guest rooms offer stunning views of the local countryside in such an area of outstanding natural beauty. I was also glad to read that you took the opportunity to visit our very own 16th century coaching inn ‘The Hop Pole’ and thoroughly enjoyed your experience.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your initial experience of the breakfast service and that this fell below your expectations. Breakfast service along with all areas in the hotel is continually monitored to improve our standards and services as to ensure all our guests an enjoyable experience. I would like to assure you that your constructive comments have been used to further assist our on-going commitment to our guests and help maintain our own high service standards.

I have passed on your comments to Ann and all other staff members that helped make your stay more enjoyable. Should you require accommodation in the area again please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be only too pleased to assist you with a reservation. In the meantime if you have any further comments please contact me directly on operations@latonaleisuregroup.com.

Leicester
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Booked for one night at this hotel. My room was on the 1st floor just at the top of the stairs, which meant it was very noisy. The door unfortunately does not block out the sounds outside. Also I discovered that the train goes by which you can see and hear from the window. The decor fits the style of the building but unfortunately needs a bit of TLC especially the carpets in the room I stayed in. Cleanliness left a lot to be desired, teacups were dirty and there were stains on the bedding.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank serendipityLeicester
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was disappointed to read that your experience fell below expectation. The hotel is a period property with many traditional features and rooms that our guests find in-keeping with an original Georgian building that captures the grandeur of that particular era.

I was surprised to read that you encountered some noise disturbance from the local railway line, the trains only pass during the day and in the main they are infrequent. It is a very rare occurrence that any guests negatively comment on this and find that the train line is picture perfect, running through the local valley.

I was glad to read that you found the decor of the hotel in keeping with this type of property and I would like to assure you that we have an on-going maintenance program throughout the year to ensure our facilities are kept to our very own high standards.

The housekeeping department has very high standards and as you can read from previous reviews many of our guests have positively commented on this, however please accept my apologies if this was not the case during your visit. I have passed on your comments to the lead housekeeper who assures me that they will be investigated and rectified where required.

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed for two nights. The hotel has everything you would expect from a hotel for this price. The staff were attentive and offered us assistance with our luggage. At breakfast they were quick to serve and deal with any issues. The buffet had a good range of food.
The room was clean and had enough shampoo etc. The floors were quite creaky (although I'm sure this can't be helped) so there was a little noise from people coming and going. The only thing the hotel was missing was a bath, but this is just personal preference, as the shower was spacious and powerful.
Parking outside sometimes became a problem as the car park got quite full and people seemed to just abandon their cars as there were no marked spaces. All in all a lovely comfortable stay.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel and staff welcoming and attentive. The guest rooms at the hotel offer variations in en suite facilities, some with bath and shower and some with large, spacious showers, of which either can be requested prior to or on arrival at the hotel. Should you be visiting the area again please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and we will do our utmost to accommodate any request for your personal preference in en suite facilities or offer any further assistance.

Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Room well appointed but small and noisy being located directly at the top of the stairs, shower room nice and clean but no hot water for shower or sink. Breakfast/Dining room very sad, so much room for improvement and could be done at little cost with imagination. Breakfast was very poor, just 2 waiting staff rushed off their feet not able to keep up with clearing tables/setting them and replenishing the breakfast. We tried to book direct but their own website claimed they were full, nobody answered the telephone so booked via a booking site.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy B
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you found the hotels ‘beautiful location’ in keeping with our period property, many guests comment on the area of outstanding natural beauty that we are situated in and also the stunning surroundings and views of the valley from the hotel.

I was surprised to read that your comments regarding breakfast, the management and staff pride themselves on the level of customer service they offer and also the comprehensive breakfast offering which includes a full English breakfast consisting of bacon, sausage, baked beans, tomatoes, fried bread and eggs cooked to order, as well as a selection of fresh fruit juices, cereals, toast, a selection of fish and omelettes. I would like to assure you that all of your comments have been discussed with the management team of the hotel and rectified as required.

Thank you for bringing the issue of our website booking calendar to my attention, I have contacted our website development company who have investigated and rectified any issues that may have been present when you tried to make a reservation, clearly we do not want anybody not being able to book directly via our website and receiving our ‘online Lowest Rate Guarantee’.

Should you require accommodation in the area again please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be only too happy to assist you with any future reservation. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.