“Thumbs up for Limpley”

Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Stoke-On-Trent
“Thumbs up for Limpley”
Reviewed 7 June 2008

Firstly, I'm going to start by saying..... "Don't Believe The Hype!!" The reviews that this hotel have been given are quite harsh and I disgree with the majority of them. To be honest, I think that the people who wrote those reviews just wanted something to moan about, but who am I to judge? The Limpley Stoke Hotel is a lovely hotel in a picturesque setting. The service is good. The room was nice, and the bathroom was of a decent size with a perfectly fine shower that was in good working order. Although we didn't have evening meals included in our stay, we purchased bar snacks in the hotel on a few occasions and the food was gorgeous! The breakfast was also lovely and the only down side was the somewhat odd set up for eggs and fried bread. Some mornings, fried bread would be in the kettle drums and other mornings it would have to be requested and fried eggs were never in the kettle drums and they had to be requested every morning.

During our stay there was a wedding on the Friday night which made breakfast on the Saturday morning quite chaotic - with people waiting for tables, kettle drums running empty of food, no bread for the toasting machine (and eventually even the toaster gave up the ghost). All this was due to there simply being not enough staff to cope with the large amount of people staying in the hotel.

But overall, the Limpley Stoke Hotel was a lovely hotel and, in answer to your question, we would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location, Food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank LauraP21-01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bournemouth
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Stayed at Limpley Stoke Hotel for two nights, read some bad reviews so a little apprehensive I arrived and was greeted by very polite staff, very sorry she said about the road works on tha A36, hardly her fault bless her.

The Hotel is in a nice rural location very close to the Kennett and Avon Canal lots of walks or cycle rides, one way Bath the other Devizes Reading etc.
The room I had was very clean spacious and everything worked properly i.e shower etc.
A nice big Bar area and a very comfortable lounge.

The Dining room was very clean with plenty of natural light, I ate Breakfast on two mornings and the food was very good and plentiful .At the end of the drive the Hotel has it's own Pub, 4 different Real Ales and very good food.

The overall feel of the place was good the decor/furnishings are superb.
I enjoyed my stay and found some of the other reviews unfair, I will certainly be coming again!!!!

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Hampshire
Reviewed 29 March 2008

The Limpley Stoke Hotel looks lovely on their web site & from the outside it does look very picturesque - but inside...urgh!

The decor is drab. The corridors are so narrow that we checked where the fire exits were (*never* done that before!). Reception is in a corridor - literally. To get to any room involves lots of up & down steps - even if you get to your floor by the lift.

The room was very dingy. The lights flashed on & off and the TV hummed even when switched off. We could smell the smoking room down the (equally dingy) corridor.

To make it worse, the whole hotel had been taken over by a wedding. After realising we would be listening to 'Come On Eileen' until after midnight, or be stuck in the gloom of the room, we packed up & drove home rather than stay and see Bath.

Reading other reviews on here, there are probably some nice rooms at this hotel, but it looks like it's a lottery if you get one. We won't be going back and would recommend anyone planning to stay here checks with the hotel that their stay won't be over-shadowed by some one else's cheesy 80s disco.

• Liked — Very pretty from the outside
  • Disliked — Dingy rooms & the all-night cheesy 80s disco
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
latonaleisure, sales manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2008
We would like to apologies to this guest for the standard of their room, we have contacted them directly to apologise and am awaiting their response.

Reception always advise guests at time of booking if there is a wedding on at the hotel as indeed there may be some noise, with this in mind we always put guests who are not attending the wedding well away from any noise affected rooms, this appears not to have been the case here and for that we apologise, the selection of music played though by the happy couple on their most important day is beyond our control, cheesy or not.

The reception desk is actually in the main hallway of the hotel and a photo of this is viewable on the best western website.

We take all reviews very seriously and always act upon them accordingly, we are inviting these guests back to the hotel to see other rooms, stay over and experience a superb stay in beautiful surroundings and great ambience.

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

RI
Reviewed 23 February 2008

Absolutely beautiful hotel. Lots of charm and ambiance. Like stepping back a century in time. Staff was friendly and helpful. Very large room, tastefully decorated. Wish we had spent the whole week here. We paid around $100 a night for a double that we booked with Expedia. Would definitely stay here again

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Booked this hotel through expedia - then read the reviews. I was therefore dreading it. The bad reviews are entirely unjustified. It is a great place, fantastic loaction and I got a very good deal on expedia (£45 per night for single room - actually ended up with a triple room) I can't fault the place - from reception to room to breakfast. Room was exceptionally clean, modern and bed was comfortable. I agree it is not "5 star" but then it does not claim to be. The breakfast was a buffet with a mixture of hot cooked breakfast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc. All staff were courteous and helpful. Bar area is lovely. To be honest had I read the reviews on this page before I had booked it, I wouldn't have gone ahead - but I would have missed out and probably ended up staying in one of the very over-priced, over-rated local B&Bs. I don't know why so many of the other reviews are so negative - I would definitely stay again, and I do like to be comfortable and in pleasant surroundings.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No mini bar!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank trona37
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2007

We arrived by accident, lost out the back of Bath about 10pm at night.The Hotel was a Best Western, an old historic Manor House, set on the top of a hill and covered with Ivy. It looked wonderful all lit up.

The hotel must have been fabulous when it was last refurbished, however I'm guessing that this was a while ago as the very nice furniture in the lounge really neeed some attention.

There was a group of people from the Tourist Bureau I think evaluating the hotel and a large group of men attending a get together function, drinking in the bar.

I was taken through grubby corridors up three floors and offered the last room no 36 left in the hotel. The room was tiny, not unclean, it was well worn and just felt grubby. There was a view accross the hill from a small window. The bathroom smelt of old sulphur coming up through the pipes, a lino floor, the room definately needed refurbishing. It was pretty awful.

I told the girl on the reception that the room was not very good and that it smelled, she said it was all she had so we decided to leave. Out in the carpark my husband said he could manage the room if I could and as it was nearly 10.30pm we decided to take the room and leave first thing in the morning.

We had soup and a snack which was ok in the dining and we headed for bed.

I had a shower and tentatively got into bed. I had my hand towel over the pillow. The bed was 2 old singles tied together with old bedding.

I decided to make a cup of tea and the kettle was broken. Looking in the teapot there were 2 old teabags. Yuk!

We were up early and were in the dining room at 7am. We had decided that if is looked bad we would forgo breakfast and just head off for Bath to find another room. Breakfast surprisingly was served in a nice breakfast room. (needed a bit of work but was ok) There was a huge buffet selection of fruits, yoghurts, and a hot selection of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, etc all in large silver covered trays. The staff service and the quality of the food was very good.

I noticed the Tourism people having breakfast and was tempted to speak to them but decided against it.

We still shudder when we think of the night we spent in that awful room and I just couldn't recommend it to others however I hope that this once fabulous old hotel is given a new makeover.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — I think I've said it all
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 29 July 2007

Having read previous reviews, many of which miss the point, think carefully before you book this hotel. If you want the worldwide uniformity of the international groups, then do give it a miss!

If you value the atmosphere of a building in a stunning location & close on 250 years old & showing it's age then go for it!

We stayed there for a wedding this month. Like stepping back in time & all the better for it. The room was old fashioned in decor (good!) but spotless & lacked nothing of the modern world. Service was good too.

The point is that this place is old & English, with the attendant eccentricities. Anybody is entitled not to like that. I do.

Stayed July 2007