“Comically Poor”

Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We had read the mixed reviews of this hotel but, having stayed in Best Westerns previously, we appreciate that older hotels are not to everyones taste and decided to give it a go.

This hotel however takes first prize for a complete lack of quality and customer service.

We booked the hotel at the start of 2013 but soon after bought two dogs and so contacted the hotel to ask if dogs were allowed - the response was yes. We arrived at the hotel early and the room was not ready - fair enough. We asked if we could sit in the bar with the dogs and were told that dogs were only allowed in our bedroom and nowhere else in the hotel. Bedrooms were incredibly small, suitable for sleeping but nothing else, so to be confined there when in the hotel was pathetic.

3 nights at the hotel cost, due to using BA airmiles to part pay, £5. Having spent this amout, I still feel short changed. We left without staying a single night. Utterly horrendous.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear iainricho

Thank you for your review and also taking the time to speak with me earlier this morning regarding your recent visit to the Limpley Stoke Hotel. I would just like to reiterate my sincere apologies for the lack of information supplied to you prior to your arrival at the hotel and assure you that following my investigation and subsequent discussion with the hotel general manager any similar future situation will be avoided.

As we discussed I have contacted the agent by whom you reservation was made and instructed them to refund any airmiles points that may have already been taken in connection with your reservation, should these points not be refunded in the near future please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be only too pleased to assist in any way I can.

I am very pleased that you graciously accepted my sincere apologies and explanation and that we could bring this matter to an amicable close. I do hope we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back to a Latona Leisure Group Hotel so that we can offer you the level of service that we pride ourselves on. Should you wish to make a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Not up to usual best western standards, staff in restaurant v friendly but reception staff not so. Arrival reception monosyllabic and departure seemingly harassed and rushed although only two of us waiting to check out. No 'did you enjoy your stay?' or any pleasantries whatsoever. Really expect better from BW hotels and have stayed at very many in England. Standard room quality is poor. Shower barely powerful enough to rinse hair.
Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Izzy77_11

Thank you for your review. I was extremely surprised to read your comments regarding our period property. The hotel dates back to the 16th Century and has many original features and rooms that our guests find in keeping with the character and charm of the Georgian architecture. As you can read from the many previous reviews the location and original grandeur of the building are favourably commented on by most guests.

I would like this opportunity to thank you for your comments as we take all guest feedback very seriously indeed and act upon any areas of concern as quickly and efficiently as possible, to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I will be certain to discuss your feedback with the hotel general manager so that he can utilise your comments in any areas that may have fallen below our very high standards. However I can say that the dedicated team at the hotel receive many positive comments regarding the level of customer service they provide and that they pride themselves on, please accept my sincere apologies if this was not the case during your visit and rest assured that we do strive to exceed customer expectation.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, we would love for you to consider a return visit so that we can offer you the level of hospitality that we pride ourselves on. Should you require accommodation in the area again please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and we will be only too pleased to assist you with a future reservation.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife booked this hotel for a pre-Christmas visit to Bath and specifically for me to visit book shops. We used a sat navigation device to travel to the hotel and found it without any trouble. The Best Western is a stately home type building with large, roomy bedrooms and bathrooms. We ate at the restaurant on both nights and found the food and service to be excellent. Breakfast was a buffet with a mix of continental and fried items with eggs to order. The room was a large room with television, tea and coffee facilities and a large bed. The room also contained a coffee table and two easy chairs. The bathroom has a sink and shower but unlike many other hotels, was large and not at all cramped. I found the bed to be a little on the soft side for my wife and I. The view from our room was fantastic with views of the surrounding village and many beautiful buildings. I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Alan P

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that both you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel and guest rooms very accommodating and ideally suited your requirements on your recent visit to Bath.

I will be certain to pass on your comments to all of the dedicated management and team at the hotel who I know will be very pleased to read them.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The building is beautiful, and the little pub at the entrance to the driveway is great, friendly and good value.
The hotel has rooms all over the place, some of which are not accessibloe by elevator. The rooms are very very spartan, small and the atmosphere is kind of 'threadbare' and uninviting to say the least.
The whole hotel needs a complete renovation if it is not to lose cutomers and bleed. There is great potential but currently I would not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear SWEsteban

Thank you for your review. I was very surprised to read your comments regarding our guest rooms and hotel.

The hotel is a period property of Georgian architecture and as you can read from many pervious reviews our guests enjoy the grandeur of such an elegant and historic building, located on the outskirts of the Georgian City of Bath in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Being a period property the hotel maintains many original features and rooms throughout and although not all rooms are accessible directly from our elevator there is only a few stairs to navigate before reaching your guest room, many offering fantastic views of the local countryside. All our guest rooms are individually designed and decorated and offer full facilities such as flat screen TV’s, complimentary beverages, en-suite bathrooms with power showers and complimentary toiletries. We feel our hotel décor compliments the original features perfectly and we offer constant attention to maintain our building and grounds.

We feel extremely lucky to offer such an elegant and grand period property in an outstanding location and many of our guests agree, as you can read from the many positive and constructive comments from previous and retuning guests.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, we hope to welcome you back again soon and extend our hospitality to you.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

The hotel is surrounded by beautiful grounds and is a magnificent building, great character and wonderful ambience. Very comfortable rooms, with a stunning view over the surrounding valleys. Excellent value for money, really good food served in an elegant and spacious dining room. Very curteous and helpful staff.,

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sally c
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear sally c

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us. I was extremely pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the hotel, grounds and dedicated staff all welcoming, friendly and helpful. We are very proud of our Georgian period property and it is always a pleasure to read when our location and commitment to customer service has had a positive and memorable effect and helped make our guests stay that little more comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

my wife and I stayed for one night while visiting friends.The hotel is in a great position and has plenty of character. The rooms are large and ours had a great view over the countryside. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The only cons were the lack of a separate shower head to enable hair washing and the lack of channels on the tv.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear MONTMORILLION

Thank you for posting a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was delighted to read that both you and your wife found the hotel perfectly located and full of character. Many of our guest rooms offer wonderful views out over the local countryside and it is always a pleasure to read when our guests have had the opportunity to experience the area of outstanding natural beauty where we are lucky enough to be located.

I will be certain to pass on your comments to all of the dedicated team at the hotel that helped make your stay so enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, we do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Hi stayed here for 2 nights while shopping in bath lovely big room, bar meals were excellent and the room was spotlessly clean will definatly stay again. The hotel is a lovely old house, with great views and has a large car park and only 15 minutes from Bath

Room Tip: room 55 or 61 were great
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear paultriple

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I was delighted to read that you chose our hotel as a base when visiting Bath for your shopping trip and found the hotel warm and welcoming with great views.

I will be certain to pass on your comments to all the members of our team that helped make your stay so enjoyable.