“A good experience”

Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Birmingham, UK
“A good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed at the Limpley Stoke on BW Reward Points for two nights and had a good experience. The room itself (25) was excellent with a lovely view. The breakfasts were very good. It’s just a pity that the external appearance of the hotel is a bit tired, and the internal décor gets more and more tired as you go up each floor. However, this did not apply to the room itself. The breakfasts were very good. We didn’t have dinner at the hotel because we thought the price was rather high and the menu not particularly appealing. Instead we ate at the Hope Pole Inn at the bottom of the drive – excellent, very good value, you can charge the bill to your hotel account, and they will take bookings. Overall a good experience and I certainly would not agree with some of the very low scores given.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Davidt57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

I was concerned after reading the rating and comments on here but was very pleased when we arrived. We were just on a short break for a couple of days and the hotel was a lovely place to stay. The room was an average size but totally clean and the bathroom was newly decorated and spotless. Our view was pretty but we did also look down to a flat roof. However, the room was only £60 a night, which is Travelodge prices, so any sort of view is a bonus! We didn't eat at the actual restaurant but we can thoroughly recommend the Inn at the bottom of the drive - food is great and the cider cheap! There is a lovely canal walk you can do from the hotel and it's a ten minutes drive in to Bath. The bar rooms etc... are very comfortable and the breakfast room was peaceful and ample.
The highlight of our stay here was listening to some owls calling to each other late at night, which we could hear from our bedroom. As for people complaining about the noisy weddings, why not head to the bar and join the fun!?

All in all, a lovely hotel and great value for money. We would come back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boowah2004
Sevenoaks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

My partner and I decided to book a week off work, and spend a couple of days in Bath. We booked this hotel for one night only mid week. As the organiser of this trip I couldnt wait to check out the hotel and requested a bottle of wine to be left in the room via the online booking system. It was difficult to find, but when we got there the views were amazing, and from the OUTSIDE I thought "wow".. We had to wait at reception for around 5 minutes before being seen to, and there was a noisey conference going on that day, which meant it was pretty busy. When we got to the room I was absoloutely disgusted.

All I care about is cleanliness, and a decent bed. The room was so small and the view was of a roof below, the window was broken, the fire alarm in the room was broken, the air con unit was directly outside the widow which was noisey. I went back to reception to ask for an upgrade, or an alternative room. They barely listened to what I had to say before shoving another key in my hand. It took me and my partner ages to find the room, we were given no help with our bags etc.. The second room was a complete joke. It was dirty, the bed was awful - old and springy, the view was rubbish, the bathroom was pointless - the ceiling sloped over the bath, so it was impossible to shower in there. I would of rather slept in a shed! We went back to reception, this time tired from lugging the suticase and trying to find the damn room.. The lady behind the desk again didnt seem to care, and soon the duty manager came to see us. I told her it was not what I expected, not as advertised and that the safety/cleanliness of the rooms was just unacceptable. They had no other rooms to offer, and said a refund was impossible and that we would lose our money. So we decided to stay in the first room. The nearest alternative hotels were the Holiday Inn Express and the Hilton, but the cheapeast room available was £120. I have certainly learnt my lesson and will definately read more reviews before booking next time we go away! Also spoke to a man on business staying at the hotel and he was leaving early to check in at the Holiday Inn express because he couldnt even shower properly. Oh and they even brought it to my attention that I requested a bottle of wine in my room yet there was none in there!

We ate at the hotel that night, the food was awful. For start, we had king scallops, which were tiny frozen scallops with no taste what so ever. All we could taste from the dish was raw onion. We both ordered steak for main, and asked for them medium-rare. These came out blue. We sent them back then the same duty manager came out to apologise and offered us our wine on the house. The steaks came out again but were still undercooked! We gave up..

Breakfast was good - that is the only positive I can think of.

As we had complained about the rooms and had no alternative but to stay there, I felt we were looked down on the whole time we were there. Staff made comments like "didnt you like your breakfast?"

A trip we will never forget for all of the wrong reasons. Recently stayed at the Premier Inn for the same price as the room was so much better. Will NEVER stay at a Best Western ever again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becca_Sevenoaks
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
In reply to the comments made the guest booked a single room on a room only basis for one night on an advance purchase preferential rate that is under the terms of the scheme non refundable.To our surprise the guest arrived with their partner and as we were extremely busy on the night in question we had no option but to allocate the original double for single occupancy.It is worth noting no charge was made for the extra guest.We receive many compliments on the standard of meals served in our restaurant and are pleased that the breakfast was an enjoyable experience

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

The hotel looks beautiful and is set in a lovely location around 5 miles out from Bath Centre. The hotel is nicely decorated and we thought we'd have a lovely stay...usually all i need in a hotel is it to be clean and fairly quiet to sleep. The room was absolutely freezing when we got back to the hotel in the evening, we don't like to make a fuss, but as it was so cold my boyfriend did politely mention how cold the room was when passing reception later in the evening, they said they would put the heating on, which didn't happen. We weren't aware that a wedding was going on, until the music started and continued well into the night. We could hear every word of every song in our room, whilst the dj wasn't bad at first, we'd had an early start and were getting up early and after at least 3 hours, hearing cheesy wedding songs at gone midnight, wasn't best pleasing! We complained at reception and were offered to move room to single beds in a smoking room! We were so tired and fed up of the noise we went to see the room, no one from reception bothered to help or seemed to care as we were just given the keys to the new room and left to find it, it smelt awful and the air was heavy to breath, not of cigarettes but of about 10 cans of air freshner used to disguise the smell. We declined this as we preferred to be able to breathe easily and sleep (if the music ever stopped) in a double bed which we paid for. After the music stopped and we heard everyone walking and talking around the corridors, we got about 4 hours sleep. We mentioned in the morning that we weren't happy that we had hardly any sleep and our room should have been placed elsewhere in the hotel, not practically above the dancefloor! We were told that it should have been mentioned online when we booked that weddings were held at the hotel, we did not notice this anywhere and even if that was the case it doesn't mean it is acceptable to place non-weddding guests above the dancefloor? We had a short sorry and the lady at reception declined to talk any further on the matter and was quite rude.
Positives: Beautiful hotel, lovely scenary, good breakfast.
Negatives: Extremely noisy, rude staff, rooms were quite clean, but there were still hairs brushed in the corner of the bathroom.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Middlesex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

Myself and my fiance visited the Limpley Stoke hotel for 1 night on 26th August.
Unlike a previous traveller we had no problems finding the hotel, using directions from AA route planner.
My first impression was of a beautiful old building, set in rather picturesque surroundings. We arrived a little early and were very pleased that we were able to check in . The female member of staff on reception was very pleasant.
We stayed in room 4 , which is a large double room. Unfortunately it was on the corner of the building, over the front entrance with no view to speak of. It was also a little noisy as people came in and out.
I did notice the trains :-(
The room was decorated nicely and the bathroom had been re furbished and was very modern.
The room was clean , but I did notice a large crack in one of the pains of glass in one of the windows.
I found the bed to be quite uncomfortable. It was much smaller than I am used to and whilst I have a firm bed at home, this bed was very hard.
The room was also very very cold, as was quite a bit of the hotel. I am sure this was just down to the sudden change in weather that we had.
Also be careful of the shower. A lovely walk in shower, however it leaked onto the floor, as someone had adjusted the shower head and the water ran down the screen and round the stop on the floor.
Unfortunately the communal areas let this hotel down. The decor is very tired and the pink and blue wallpaper and paint are rather unpleasant. As you walk up the stairs there are very old fashioned net curtains on 2 very high windows. There was also a net curtain hung on a glass partition window on the first floor. I really could not see the point of either of these.
I wasn't keen on the leather sofas in the communal lounge. They had a rigid shape with a high back. I would have preferred more comfy, squishy modern leather sofas.
The bar area was nice, drinks were very reasonably priced, however service was a little haphazard.
The barman was very pleasant , but did disappear several times for quite long periods leaving people waiting at the bar for drinks. The first time this happened was in the afternoon, which didn't affect us as we had already got our drinks. however there were hotel guests who got fed up waiting and left the bar.The second time was at about 9.30 in the evening. By the time he reappeared some 15- 20 mins later there were 4 or 5 of us waiting to be served.
We had our evening meal in the pub at the end of the drive. What excellent food, although absolutely massive portions. We both struggled to eat our meals. Infact I left most of mine, which I felt really bad about. I did notice that there were other guests that left a lot of food too. We did save a tiny bit of room for pud ( we shared) and had a lemon cheesecake, which was to die for.
On the whole this is an OK hotel for what we paid. I feel with some modernisation of the communal areas the hotel could be fantastic.
I would probably consider staying here again

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Stayed for two nights, Friday and Saturday. Checked in and was given room 42. It has a double and a single bed in it. The room is much too small for this configeration. It has two small chairs. They are far too small to sit in and just get in the way. Someone had attempted to clean the walls, very badly, otherwise it was reasonably presented.

Plus point - It has an excellent southerly view along the valley !!

However, my main critisism for this room was the bed. For £96.00 a night I expect a comfortable, quality bed. Ok, so everyone is different when it comes to bed comfort, but this particular bed is a cheap, poorly constructed bed. You can feel the springs in your back as you try and sleep. The base is not secure and it should be 5ft wide not 4ft 6ins. I have stayed in many Best Western hotels in my time but this was by far the worst bed by along way. Please get it replaced it is disgraceful !!
As I said, the room was also too small for the cost of £96.00. It appears to be in the newer part of the building. I am pleased to say that hot water does eventually arrive at the shower.

Travellers should also note that this hotel is very close to a busy railway line. The trains sound their horn as they approach the old station at Limpley Stoke and again as they approach Freshford about a mile away. This continues until around 23.00 hrs and starts again about 06.00, it was continuous. This of course is not the fault of the hotel but you may wish to bare this in mind. Sunday morning was quieter however.
Food was excellent throughout, both the breakfast and evening meal were superb.
We also ate at the Hop Pole at the end of the drive, again superb food.
You will note that the Best Western website bares a note ( warning ? ) in red writing, alerting potential customers to the fact that this establishment hosts "Weddings most weekends" There was a wedding during our stay. Enevitably, the occasion takes over the hotel with nowhere really for customers not attending the wedding to go to, other than to retreat to their bedrooms. Ok, so the hotel did set aside a small lounge for us mere mortals, but this soon got taken over by wedding guests trying to escape the very loud music. Your attention is also drawn to the requirement for "loud music" in the aforementioned note in red writing on the BW website.

As mentioned in other reviews above, the hotel is a short bus trip from Bath. It cost a little over £5.00 for a return ticket, well worth it, as is a walk along the canal.

Summing up I would say this...the hotel has alot going for it, location views etc, but , if you are looking for a quiet comfortable weekend away then the Limpley Stoke Hotel may not be for you.

I do recommend this hotel but with hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
latonaleisure, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
We apologise to this guest for what they found to be an uncomfortable bed during their recent stay,this bed as they suggest is now being replaced and we are also looking at the room configuration.We are pleased that they found the meals taken in the hotel to be excellent and also that in our Pub the Hop Pole at the end of the hotel's drive.We agree that our stunning hotel is in the most superb location with easy and cheap access to Bath.I would say that we always endeavour to accommodate all our guests needs whatever other function may be occuring within the hotel.
Shepperton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Been here before probably 25 years ago and more recently. The hotel is not modernised, particularly the public corridors. However, letting that pass the room was fine and for the cost the whole package was very reasonable. We paid £60 for a double inc. breakfast which was very good. Service at breakfast was good and the food hot and tasty. Noisy bathroom extractor fan well overdue for a service or replacement. Otherwise a delightful setting in a pretty garden for Travel lodge prices. this needs to be taken into account when reading these criticisms.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple