“Enjoyed our stay at the Lansdown”

The Lansdown Grove Hotel
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Sheffield England
“Enjoyed our stay at the Lansdown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Lansdown and it was a perfectly pleasant experience. My husband had booked a room in the Ambassadore part of the hotel, and as a previous contributor has said, it was a bit disappointing to overlook the carpark, but the benefit was you could wheel your luggage in very easily - there are a lot of stairs in the Lansdown! If you are allocated one of these rooms, do check the french doors are locked - one couple came into our room thinking it was a way into the hotel. I would imagine the rooms on the other side would have spectacular views. There are three carparks, one in front of the hotel, one across the side road, and one at the back - usually ample I should think.
The hotel is a bit tired in parts, but overall it does add to its rather genteel character; there is a lovely Jane Austen style drawing room which no-one appeared to use. There appears to be an ongoing refurb - I suppose if you get a room that is still to be done it would be disappointing. Our room was fine and the bathroom excellent with a power shower that gave you a workout. The TV was a 20" flat screen, and worked as it should. The restaurant was an elegant room, and the food was very good on the whole. The dinner menu is table d'hote with about 6 choices in each section, but you can pay extra for items such as steak, king prawns or duck, for instance, which we did on our second evening, and we were very pleased with the qualify overall, although my husband was disappointed with his salad nicoise - hardly any tuna! But that was our only quibble. The breakfast was excellent: coffee/tea was brought in pots to the table, cereals, fruit juices, fruits, breads, etc was buffet, and the hot choices were again brought to the table. We had the full English both days, and it was very good; everything cooked perfectly. The bar was reasonably priced.
When I have read some of the previous comments I feel they have been a bit unfair, but I suppose in any hotel one's experience depends on the room you have been allocated, which chef on was duty, and whether the receptionist has a headache! Yes the clientele tends to be on the older side,but this is a Shearings hotel - there was one tour staying at the same time as us, but the majority of people - of all ages - seemed to be independent travellers. Our experience was good, and I must say the biggest asset the hotel has is the staff. They are fantastic - highly efficient, very friendly and helpful in all areas: reception, dining room and bar. I would certainly stay here again.

1 Thank avroanson
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear Avrosan
Thank you for posting some great comments about the Lansdown. As you can tell the Lansdown is an old building dating back to 1827 but we are committed to maintaining and improving all areas of the hotel. All my staff work hard to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable time and are on hand to answer any queries or questions any guests may have. Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.
Jane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Runcorn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The room wasn't ready untill 3.30 pm which was rather late. Carpets were being fitted in the main hallway although it hadnt been cleaned or painted.When we got to the room we were very let down, it was an absolute disgrace. The carpet was filthy and stained, you would not walk around in bare feet. Curtains were filthy and in need of a good wash. The monstrosity of a television kept going off!
In the lounge area winged-back chairs were a plenty and they were absolutely filthy. This hotel caters mostly for coach holidays which was not stated in the information and therefore most visitors are elderly. The hotel should close and refurbish immediately.

8 Thank niftyfifty55
Dear Nifty Fifty

Sorry for the half hour delay in your check in. Our check in time is 3.00pm as printed on your confirmation letter. As you can see while you were here we are committed to an ongoing refurbishment plan which you made reference to,this work was planned to be completed during arrival and departure days as to reduce the effect on our many customers.
We have now refurnished all the downstairs public areas and will continue to improve on the rest of the hotel facilties.
East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

We had a nice big room, but up close it was a little tired and the bathroom could do with an overhaul. The staff were friendly and helpful without exception. The food was not bad, but we wondered if it had been pre-cooked and kept hot as it arrived within minutes of ordering, so dinner was all over rather quickly. Be warned though, that this hotel does tend to have an older clientele and we did avoid the organist which was the Sat night entertainment. The location was ok, a 10 minute downhill walk to the city centre. Best to get a cab back up the hill!

1 Thank EastSussexBear
Dear East Sussex

Thanks for your lovely comment on our friendly staff here at the Lansdown.The table de hote menu offered at the Lansdown is prepared fresh every day. Our weekend entertainment is very low key as requested by many of our previous guests.As well as cabs customers can also use the regular bus service which stops outside the hotel.

Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

You will love the view of the city... once you open the window, because the panes haven't been cleaned probably since Queen Victoria wedding. The stench in the elevator (lysol?) was overwhelming and you could smell it in the lobby, too. The whole hotel is well dated and I've seen cleaner places in my life. The bathroom was really spacious, but in dire need of refurbishment (and the flush needed the plumber, as it made strange noises after every use).
The service was ok, but if I ever come back to Bath, I'll look for a different place to lay my head.

2 Thank Mikolaj K
Lancashire, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

My partner booked this hotel for 2 nights as a stopover on our way to Torquay and I have to say I found it awful and should be condemned, closed down and not opened again until it is refurbished completely. I will be writing to Shearings this weekend to complain as it is obviously not the fault of the staff.

We had a double room (104) which is front left on the photo of the hotel provided by the Hotel itself. Avoid like the plague!!! We arrived at 1pm but as the room was apparently not ready we walked downhill into Bath - 15 mins at strolling pace. On our return, we checked in and went to the room. Horrendous and I can't find the words to describe it. the only redeeming feature was that it was large. Firstly the carpetwas faded, worn and very wrinkled - a health and safety issue for the elderly in particular. I didn't dare walk on the carpet in bare feet it was so disgusting. The TV is very old fashioned and only has a small picture, there is a crack in the window on the outside pane (secondary double glazing) which has been stuck together with sellotape, the bathroom is in need of a major lick of paint and tidy up. I was woken the next morning by a dripping sound. I went into the bathroom to find water dripping through the ceiling near the light fitting. We rang reception and to the staff's credit, someone was sent immediately to inspect. Oh yes they said, it's probably from the room above where someone's been having a shower, I'll check with them and bring you a bucket and towels. They duly brought the towels and bucket and confirmed the people in the room above had had a shower. When we came back after a day out, the bucket was still in situ just in case and then later the lights tripped off but again were sorted by a member of staff immediately.

As for food - mass catering, lukewarm food is the best I can describe. Not pleasant.

The only positive of the whole hotel is the attitude of the staff in the restaurant. They were without exception polite, curteous and helpful. Parking is very difficult unless you can grab a space early.

Overall, I would avoid this hotel like the plague and feel it was poor value for money at £130 half board per room, per night for two. No comparison to our hotel in Torquay which was only £20 a night dearer.

Personally , if I return to Bath, I won't be staying anywhere near this hotel.

9 Thank Lizcat
Dear Lizcat
Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your two night break with us.I was surprised by your review as no mention of this was made during your stay.Room 104 carpet has now been replaced as was planned on our inhouse refurnbishment programme.
Please contact our customer care department who will repsond to your letter.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and I had been to this hotel almost thirty years ago and when looking for a place to spend a long weekend we found a good value offer here and thought we'd give it a go.
The location is a ten minute walk down Lansdown Hill into Bath (15 mins back up the hill). The position is great and the rooms - though not having a wow factor - are wonderfully warm and welcoming.
We've stayed in many hotels in Bath, including the Royal Crescent, and though I wouldn't compare the Lansdowne Grove with the Royal Cresent, I can honestly say I enjoyed the stay here more than any of the city's other hotels.
It's good value, the staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and obliging and the short walk to and from the city centre works pefrectly.
We will certainly return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StevieS61
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear StevieS61
Thanks for posting your comments online,its always great to see how much our guests enjoy their stay with us. Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Enjoyed the breakfast at this hotel, although we were the youngest in the dining room! There are often tour buses that stop here, I believe, with older tour group clients.
The room was large and the bathroom huge. The view from our room was awesome - overlooking the city of Bath. This means, of course, that the hotel is up a hill. You really need a car if you have luggage as the walk up the hill (20 minutes) is OK only if you don't need to carry anything. There is a bus (Lansdown Park & Ride - number 33, I think) that goes past the hotel, however, that you could use.
The hotel is in a large old house which has many staircases and corridors but has a lift to each of the floors.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Dear KimWS
Great to know you enjoyed the view from your room,we have several rooms that offer that same view. There are two buses that go up and down the hill the Lansdown Park and Ride no 31 and Ensleigh the number 2 which leaves from the bus station next to the railway station in Bath.
Thanks for your review.