“Everything you need from a hotel but very basic”

The Lansdown Grove Hotel
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 12 September 2011

From the outside the hotel looks very grand but the inside sadly doesn't quite live up to that. The decor is quite dated and seems in need of some renovation despite claims that it has been recently refurbished. The rooms were pleasant and clean but again quite dated - the bathroom suite didn't match with a new white toilet and a murkey beige bathtub. If you are just looking for somewhere to sleep though it is a fairly comfortable experience. Breakfast was again average - a small selection of juices, fruit and cereal on a buffet table, but then you had to order either a full english or vegetarian breakfast instead of having hot food available on a buffet table. It just seems to me that it would have been better to have a full selection of hot food on a buffet table too. However, overall I would recommend it as a basic but comfortable hotel as an ideal place for a stop over in Bath.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tomandlozz
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear TomandLiz
We are currently working on our in house refurbishment plan which will take place over the next couple of years.
With regards to the breakfast arrangements,as you may have noticed the unusual shape of the dining room this does not allow for a space large enough to accommodate this service. The menu is however flexible and served to your table by our attentive restaurant staff.
As you said the hotel is an ideal comfortable stopover in Bath
Hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Put up with room 206 for two nights. It's the worst room I have EVER stayed in! If you are offered this room on arrival do not accept it. Other rooms have been refurbished but this hasn't been touched for years. I left with a bad back the beds were so old. The carpet was a real state. The tv was so old and the picture was terrible. Paint was peeling from the bath. The bath panel was rotten. Shower very dodgy. Such a shame we got this room as rest of hotel lovely. Can't see how anyone can complain about the food. There was a good choice, plenty of it and it was good. ALL the staff were very friendly and very good at their jobs. Stayed in lots of hotels over the world but can't recommend this hotel because of room 206

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Luv2travelkm

Dear Luv2travel
Thank you for posting some great comments about the food and staff online.
I am sorry to hear that you didnt like your room but we are committed to improving all rooms throughout the hotel.
I hope that you will try us again some time in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

A delightful georgian styled country hotel in the Lansdown area of Bath, great delicious varied menu each day, served within minutes, staff eager to please, very helpful, room decor tastefully decorated, the front room we were allocated had great views of the city. there is limited free car parking in front of hotel, with hotel overspill parking directly across the road. Entertainment most evenings, great bubbly experienced bar manager. Local bus service No 31 and No 2, very short walk from the hotel, for those that wish to explore Bath, wthout incurring car parking fees.We'll be back in 2012!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PeterMichael_11
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Dear Peter Micheal-11
Thanks for your great review ,all the staff at the Lansdown try very hard to ensure all our guests have a very enjoyable stay. We have 40 free car parking spaces and always manage to park all our resident vehicles for the duration of their stay. See you in 2012

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed here at the beginning of August this year (2011) on a bed breakfast and evening meal on a Shearings 3 night self drive package. This is a beautiful building and dates back to around 1770 and is grade 2 listed. I occupied a very comfortable, clean single room on the 2nd floor and found the hotel very clean and well kept. The bed was very comfortable and although the hotel was full the room was quiet and I slept well on all three nights of my stay. It was nice to see that a fan was provided, tucked away in one of the cupboards in case the weather made the room too stuffy, nice touch. A large flat screen TV with multi channel complete with a comfortable easy chair and a table was also in the room. I gave my room 9 out of 10. My only negative with my room was that the carpet needed a damn good cleaning, in fact to be honest it really needed replacing. My en-suit was very clean with plenty of hot water and hotel toiletries.

The whole hotel appeared to be very clean (apart from my room carpet in 208) and the only thing I found a problem was the overpowering smell of disinfectant in certain areas of the hotel, particularly in the lift, however I have endured worse smells in hotels that claim a higher standard. The restaurant was very smart and everything in the dining area was extremely well presented, I suspect it had seen a recent refurb of some kind.

The food was satisfactory if a little bland at times but I can live with that, However, the breakfast was faultless and there was never a problem regardless of whatever you ordered, this is one of the few hotels in the Shearings range that can produce perfectly soft poached eggs on three mornings on the trot, another bonus is they serve excellent coffee, two of my pet hates in many hotels that I have previously stayed in is overcooked poached eggs and bad coffee. I dined at the 7pm option and the dining room service was fast and efficient.
The staff here go out of their way to help and absolutely nothing is too much trouble, all you have to do is ask and they will do their very best for you and if they cant help then they will find someone who can. They explain how to link up to the hotel cloud server for your free Wi Fi Internet connection and even offer a town map with a “You are here” on it, plus my bags were taken up to my room while I parked my car

The bar prices were reasonable as were lunch prices. One other negative however is that parking can be a problem even with the three car parks, in spite of this I did find a space on every occasion, so overall I would give the hotel 8 out of ten and it would have been higher but for the carpet and car park. After saying all of the above please do not let this put you off from staying here, I get the impression that the management and staff are really trying to please at this establishment. I have stayed at several of Shearings hotels and I would certainly recommend The Lansdown Grange as one of their top 6 and I will definitely stay here again myself, especially if I can have the same room, preferably with a new or cleaner carpet. We get what we pay for in life and this hotel is good value for the price I paid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank BrunoLancashireUK

Dear BrunoLancashire Uk
Thanks for taking the time to place a great review.
I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us at the Lansdown Grove Hotel.
Bath and the surrounding area's have many beautiful places to visit throughout the year. As you can see from my other responses we have been undergoing an in house refurbishment plan.
Its nice to see on a few reviews including your own the friendly staff comments.
Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I am very late in this review, I was so angry when we left (one day early on a 4 day break) that I put it clean out of my mind and forgot about it. Some of the more bizarre practices at this hotel (the all inclusive drinks package) have I understand been changed.
The manageress was excellent but was trying to run a hotel which had the most odd head office rules, plus a kitchen that truely was an absolute disgrace, Chef's salad, which was the greenery from a salad Nicoise starter, plastic ham, beef, cheap tuna and the crowning glory, kraft cheese slices. Honest, no kidding, in 2011, for dinner in a hotel in Bath and the 'Chef' (I use the word in its loosest sense) sends out Kraft cheese slices.
The package we went on was a 4 night DB&B plus 3 hrs free drinks from 7-30 until 10-30. The hotel were inflexible on the timings of the drinks part of the package. We ate at 8-00 pm (the last sitting, yes we had to pick a sitting) so we got a couple of drinks before dinner but those who had chosen to eat earlier had no chance of pre-dinner drinks. The hotel have changed the all inclusive package saying that it is even better value for the customer. Now you get a £25 voucher per person per STAY to spend on food and beverage which when compared with 3 hours free drinks looks more like better value for the company than the guests?
The hotel had some odd rules, some old oddjob man tried to stop us going into the dinning room for breakfast at 7-58 am (yes breakfast is from 8-00 am- prompt! The barman took great relish in saying what I was not allowed to drink in the all inclusive drinks package. It was a most odd stay and we stuck it for 3 nights then came home because frankly the food was just terrible, it had company accountant stamped all over it, buy in cheap, cheap and cheaper. The place does have a faded charm about and we got a good room although I had to point out that the sealant round the sink looked as though it had been put on by a drunked plumber. The manageress had it re-sealed while we were out. I felt sorry for her, she was trying to do a good job but clearly the place needs a massive cash injection for a full re-furbishment and it's not going to get one because accountants rule. Try it yourself, you will have laugh, it is a most odd hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view with a balcony
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Vansinger
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Dear Vansinger
Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your stay here at the Lansdown. I was disappointed you didnt enjoy your meals ,this area can be quite often be subjective however I will fully investigate the points you have raised.
When you were leaving we spoke about the new in house credit pacakge.This was put in place due to customer requests. As you mention you could'nt get a drink at certain times on the old all inclusive package but with the new system you will be able to have refreshments at any time of the day including light lunches.
We serve breakfast between 8.00am till 9.30am (weekdays) and 8.00am till 10.00am (weekends),Dinner is served between 6.30pm till 8.30pm (weekdays) and 7.00pm till 9.00pm (weekends).
All the staff including myself are committed to helping our guests have a good time here in Bath.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Lansdown and it was a perfectly pleasant experience. My husband had booked a room in the Ambassadore part of the hotel, and as a previous contributor has said, it was a bit disappointing to overlook the carpark, but the benefit was you could wheel your luggage in very easily - there are a lot of stairs in the Lansdown! If you are allocated one of these rooms, do check the french doors are locked - one couple came into our room thinking it was a way into the hotel. I would imagine the rooms on the other side would have spectacular views. There are three carparks, one in front of the hotel, one across the side road, and one at the back - usually ample I should think.
The hotel is a bit tired in parts, but overall it does add to its rather genteel character; there is a lovely Jane Austen style drawing room which no-one appeared to use. There appears to be an ongoing refurb - I suppose if you get a room that is still to be done it would be disappointing. Our room was fine and the bathroom excellent with a power shower that gave you a workout. The TV was a 20" flat screen, and worked as it should. The restaurant was an elegant room, and the food was very good on the whole. The dinner menu is table d'hote with about 6 choices in each section, but you can pay extra for items such as steak, king prawns or duck, for instance, which we did on our second evening, and we were very pleased with the qualify overall, although my husband was disappointed with his salad nicoise - hardly any tuna! But that was our only quibble. The breakfast was excellent: coffee/tea was brought in pots to the table, cereals, fruit juices, fruits, breads, etc was buffet, and the hot choices were again brought to the table. We had the full English both days, and it was very good; everything cooked perfectly. The bar was reasonably priced.
When I have read some of the previous comments I feel they have been a bit unfair, but I suppose in any hotel one's experience depends on the room you have been allocated, which chef on was duty, and whether the receptionist has a headache! Yes the clientele tends to be on the older side,but this is a Shearings hotel - there was one tour staying at the same time as us, but the majority of people - of all ages - seemed to be independent travellers. Our experience was good, and I must say the biggest asset the hotel has is the staff. They are fantastic - highly efficient, very friendly and helpful in all areas: reception, dining room and bar. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank avroanson

Dear Avrosan
Thank you for posting some great comments about the Lansdown. As you can tell the Lansdown is an old building dating back to 1827 but we are committed to maintaining and improving all areas of the hotel. All my staff work hard to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable time and are on hand to answer any queries or questions any guests may have. Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The room wasn't ready untill 3.30 pm which was rather late. Carpets were being fitted in the main hallway although it hadnt been cleaned or painted.When we got to the room we were very let down, it was an absolute disgrace. The carpet was filthy and stained, you would not walk around in bare feet. Curtains were filthy and in need of a good wash. The monstrosity of a television kept going off!
In the lounge area winged-back chairs were a plenty and they were absolutely filthy. This hotel caters mostly for coach holidays which was not stated in the information and therefore most visitors are elderly. The hotel should close and refurbish immediately.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank niftyfifty55

Dear Nifty Fifty

Sorry for the half hour delay in your check in. Our check in time is 3.00pm as printed on your confirmation letter. As you can see while you were here we are committed to an ongoing refurbishment plan which you made reference to,this work was planned to be completed during arrival and departure days as to reduce the effect on our many customers.
We have now refurnished all the downstairs public areas and will continue to improve on the rest of the hotel facilties.