“Enjoyable stay”

The Lansdown Grove Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed at the hotel whilst having building work done at home.
Good first impression. Very grand exterior and grounds.
Check in was quick and efficient. The lady on reception, whilst working alone, checked myself and my wife in, and the two couples before us, within minutes.
The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom well supplied with sufficient towels. We only stayed four nights but the room was well maintained when we returned each evening
Breakfast was enjoyable with good portions. The waiting staff very friendly.
Will certainly revisit this hotel if we next have work done at home.
Have read other reviews, and although I agree that the decor is somewhat tired, I cannot understand some of the criticism levelled at what is an otherwise charming hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Pizzalover22333
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Pizzalover22333
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found check in quick and efficient, your room clean and comfortable and staff friendly.
I will pass on your comments to all staff.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I’ve stayed at quite a few hotels over the years both internationally and in the UK but I would have to go a long way to recall a hotel as poorly maintained as this one, That was a cheap dive in Egypt but at £130+ per night the Lansdown Grove Hotel is a very expensive dive.

On entering the hotel you immediately note the smell of damp and mildew, despite there being air fresheners all over the place to try and mask it. You also notice the cracked paint/varnish on all the wooden surfaces, and the unmistakable brown water stains on the ceiling, and that’s just the reception. Had this not been the only place available in Bath we would have left.

The staff are friendly enough but totally disorganised, it took several minutes for them to find our reservation in a pile of printouts rather than checking on the reception computer.

Between the reception and your room is a maze of corridors with steps going up and down, the signage is totally ineffective, signs to the reception run out and then start again pointing the other way, you eventually realise that you are supposed to take the lift, which is an experience in itself. The lift is about big enough for two people with luggage and has for some reason been carpeted from floor to ceiling, the old 1980’s carpet is peeling of the walls and the stainless steel door is either rusting or has some other orange/brown substance liberally dotted around it. We discovered that it is actually faster to walk out the back door and around the hotel than to walk through it, you also have the advantage of fresh air taking this route. Be careful on the stairs, some of them don’t seem to have anything solid underneath the carpet and you sink into them.

When we got to our room we thought they had given us the wrong key, because it did not seem to fit, it turned out you just needed to hold it at the right angle to make it work. We had one of the more expensive rooms with a balcony view, not that there was much to see from the balcony except the weeds growing up through the stone and around the railings. The French windows were very difficult to open because the wood had swollen up from damp and they needed a sharp kick at the base to get them open, they were then impossible to shut properly without giving them a kick from the outside (which would leave you outside) The paint was all chipped and peeling from the wood around all the doors and windows, see photos for details. Above the French doors were windows that could only be slightly opened due to security chains; this small opening certainly did not provide enough ventilation.

The bed was very hard and we found ourselves rolling together in the middle all night, neither of us slept especially well. The pillows were about the thinnest I have ever seen but were as hard as the bed, spares were available in the wardrobe which were needed for any degree of support.

Like the rest of the hotel our room smelt of damp with a hint of lavender from the air fresheners, the source of the smell was quickly located in the bathroom, again the photos need to be seen to be believed, the bath tub was surrounded by black mould the paint was chipped and the tiles were literally hanging off the wall. Whilst inspecting this I spotted the stains and mould behind the toilet. To our surprise we discovered the hotel was fully booked so no other rooms were available.

This would explain why the car park was full and other guests chose to block our car in, despite everyone having to give their numbers to the reception they were unable to work out who had blocked us in, so our car was effectively impounded. Reception called us a taxi to take us down into bath as it was raining, this cost £7.20 for a four minute journey, the surcharge for picking us up from the hotel was £3.50, despite the rain we walked back! which took about ten minutes.

When we left the room we opted to lock all of our valuables in our car as the door to the room could be pushed in around the top and bottom and I did not feel that the small lock would hold out against much should someone try to force it.

Breakfast was a bit of a farce, they had four waiters on duty who asked us to go into the room furthest from the buffet despite there being plenty of tables for two available in the main room. Our rate was supposed to include a cooked breakfast but at no point did anyone take our order for this, or anyone else’s, I can only assume this is a ploy by the hotel to save money on expensive items, to be honest given the standard of cleanliness in the rest of the hotel I was not keen on eating anything that they had prepared on site and just had some serial and juice.

Needless to say we left as soon as we could free our car from the car park.

This hotel has clearly not been decorated this century, the decor is from the 1980’s, I don’t think the owners even know the meaning of the word maintenance, it needs to be closed down, stripped bare and refitted from scratch before I would even consider going near it again.

Room Tip: Stop in a hotel outside of bath and travel in for the day, you will get a better deal and a much nic...
14  Thank TWMC2010

Dear TWMC2010
Your review is very disappointing to read to say the least, especially in the view of the fact we have had many positive reviews as well as good comments from many happy and returning customers who dont post on trip advisor.
At check in all registration cards are printed out before hand which usual means you will have a smooth check in.I am surprised to hear you say the signage in the hotel was confusing as this hasn't been mentioned before.The main part of the hotel was built around 1827 and over the many years addtions have been made throughout the property.
I am sorry to hear you were not happy with the standard of your bedroom and bathroom but we are currently going through an in house refurbishment plan.In saying that I can only apolgise for the issues regarding cleanliness to your room and the head housekeeper has already been spoken to regarding the issues you have raised.
I am surprised at the amount you paid for your taxi to town as the average price is £4.50.
I am also surprised to hear you did not receive a cooked breakfast this is very unusual as our restaurant staff usual recieve lots of praise for friendliness and helpfulness.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

On arrival into Bath from the A4 we were very surprised how close the hotel was to the city center although up a fairly steep hill, so if on foot and particularly with luggage this may be restrictive however as far as location / proximity it's a good choice.

Until however you make a comparison by price even considering in all fairness this is a three star establishment, we could have stayed in The Hilton which is slap bang central (I have stayed there before) for a little less per night - in retrospect we should have perhaps. The building externally is beautiful but seriously lacking in investment internally, it could be a cracking boutique hotel but at the moment I'd compare it to a Stakis from the 80's with the same dated methods of operation of the business. Some examples are seating times for dinner service which I last experienced decades ago, dated systems such as payment for food being taken at reception which can only be ordered at the bar (eh?) so you have to walk to the bar to place the order and then walk back to reception to make payment by card - yes the bar does accept cards but only for drinks, no room service - well ok but c'mon - the televisions having digital set top boxes and ours had a poor connection which buzzed. Oh the list could go on Basil...

Our room was Ambassador standard which had a lovely shared terrace within a walled garden, the room decor is dated and I mentioned the telly already with towel rails hanging loose, a bathroom fan which whined all night, poor ventilation, good lighting though and an ironing board, dusty big dangly cobwebs on the ceiling. Some other reviewers have mentioned the musty smell which is true, creaky floors and well you know if I'd paid sixty to eighty quid this would be a compromise per the review title which would have been acceptable but at £139.00 not really... It was mentioned several times I had used booking.com to reserve as though we were perhaps cheapskates, maybe I got the wrong impression but that's what we left with...

The staff were pleasant and I only hope that sometime in the future the owners decide to fling some serious investment at the hotel which has serious potential. Not a hotel I would avoid but one which would be a second choice based upon my needs next time around, I note that the manageress often responds to these reviews with a tapioca reply but honestly Jane your time would be better spent inspecting the rooms and doing what you can on the budget you have to make things better - put a screwdriver and a duster in your pocket when doing so.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank AyrshireBacon

Dear AyrshireBacon

You are right we are very close to the city centre just a 10 minute walk downhill.
I would love to take this hotel back to how it was back in the day however my hands are tied. We do try our best with what we have however this wasnt up to your excpectations. As you can see from previous reveiws we have saitisfied many guests. We try to offer value for money especially if you book through our own website.All staff are aware of all the comments you have posted and we will try to do our best to ensure this doesnt happen to other guests.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed here for the convenience - handy for Bath, and breakfast & dinner included. A very steep walk back from town, but there is a good bus service.
Food was good enough, the veg perhaps a little disappointing, and service very good. Well under an hour for 3 courses. Help yourself to coffee in the lounge afterwards, which was a nice comfortable place to sit. Limited entertainment which suits me. A strange set up though. The waiters didn't have their own areas, they each seemed to deal with everybody. We were nearly always asked more than once if our order had been taken. Still, we never had to wait long.
The hotel is quite large with a few different sections. Along some of the corridors to our room it did seem rather shabby and smelled very stale. I was glad that our room was not there. We had paid extra for a better room and it was probably worth it. The room was huge. Wi-fi was good and free. The flat screen telly was perhaps a little small for the room size. I don't think I have ever stayed in a larger 'hotel' room. It opened on to the car park, which was OK on the first night, but then got a little busier. Rooms opposite ours had a lovely quiet court yard. On the Saturday night cars completely filled the car park, and the only way to do this was to block each over in. Our patio door only just opened with a car literally inches from the glass windows.It did not feel very private. We had to ask at reception for a car to be moved so that we could get out on Monday morning. Luckily it was a member of staff so we didn't have to wait too long. Having seen the chaos I would recommend paying for a reserved space. There is no parking longer than 3 hours in the surrounding streets.
So pretty good value, but as some say some hotel areas are a bit tired and parking is a bit of a problem unless you pay extra.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for a room, ask for one not next to the car park.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank shawchessplayer

Dear Shawchessplayer
Thanks for taking the time to place your review. In reading your comments I am glad to see you were happy with your stay except the car parking.As you said the hotel can reserve a car park space for a small fee which guarantees you a space.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I went to the Lansdown Grove Hotel with my wife on a shearing holiday for a 5 day break, the hotel staff where very friendly and helpful the food not too bad the room we had was quite nice with a large bed and all the little extras.One tip I can give is to get a map for your room essential for rooms 318/322 ha.ha.

1  Thank 187053Bobby

Dear 187053 Bobby
Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your great comments to all staff concerned.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Booked this hotel for two nights and only stayed for the one ! Beautiful building but interior very tired and dirty in places . The corridors smelt like a nursing home , everything needed up dating ! The shower didn't work in the room , although someone tried to fix it .
Location was lovely , with lovely views over the city , bonus of having a car park but that was about all that was positive .
Whole place just looked sad , although the staff were friendly enough .

3  Thank Frenchtree
JaneMBath, General Manager at The Lansdown Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Frenchtree
Sorry to hear you didn't stay.
We are an old but beautiful building and try to upgrade where and when we can.
Our aim is to ensure all guests not only get value for money but have a lovely stay.
We are in a great location not far from the city centre and with the added bonus of a car park.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed here for an overnighter, to be honest we only wanted a place to stay, but this was Bath and therefore you expect. Pleasant staff, let me book in early to park the car there all day, helpful receptionist. Room was small, just about clean enough, tired decor and bathroom but all in working order. As you walk through the Hotel, it is just very apparent that it could do with a facelift, even a new paint job and a carpet clean would help. I understand that to completely re-dress the Hotel would cost hundreds of thousands, but small changes could make a huge difference and could easily change the Hotel in to a gem.
Breakfast... once again, friendly staff, nice tea and coffee, but cereals and juices looked messy and un-appetising so we opted for the full english...this was not good, scrambled eggs were of rubber, sausage was not exactly butchers choice and tomato was tasteless.
So to summerise, dont expect the ritz, but dont be too disapointed, and a good enough location, only a fiver for a taxi in to town.

3  Thank Chris P

Dear Chris P
I am glad you found the staff pleasant. We really do try our best. Sorry to hear about your breakfast this is unusual and I will look into it further.
You are right it is in a great location just a 10 minute walk into Bath City Centre.