“Nice Hotel in Bath”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Merseyside
“Nice Hotel in Bath”
Reviewed 1 November 2006

It took me quite some time to settle on a hotel to stay at during our visit to Bath, but I am glad I picked the Landsdowne Grove.

The hotel and our room was clean and comfortable and there was ample space for two people, the staff were polite and friendly and there was plenty of space in the hotel car park, something which is a plus point in a city like Bath.

There have been previous comments about creaky floor boards which I noticed as I walked down the corridor to our room, but I wouldn't say that it was a major issue, maybe if you are a light sleeper then request a room to the back of the hotel, as we were not disturbed by creaky floor boards once.

The hotel is about 15 minutes walking distance into the centre of Bath, but is on a slight hill, I contemplated catching a taxi or the bus back to the hotel but decided to walk back up the hill which wasn't as tiring as I first thought, the location of the hotel is definately a plus point as you are a couple of minutes outside the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

• Liked — Location, comfortable room, value for money and car park!
  • Disliked — Could have had a nicer view from our window
  • Tips/Secrets — Definately take the time to visit Longleat Safari Park and House
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Elua75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 30 October 2006

We came here for a weekend break with our young daughter and had a lovely time. Our room was not large but beds spacious and comfy, room cosy and warm, lots of wardrobe space and everything clean. We did not have an evening meal here as chose to take advantage of the wide choice of restaurants in Bath. Breakfast was fine - self service with loads of choice from Continental to English Cooked. The staff were polite, courteous and welcoming.

I would definitely recommend this hotel but do feel that it is overpriced so try and get a good deal. Also the only real negative comment I would make is that there are not enough car parking spaces so we had to park on the road.

• Liked — Large and comfy beds.
  • Disliked — Parking facilities.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't drive into Bath as major congestion problems - try the Park & Ride schemes they have.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 13 June 2006

On the plus side: the hotel is situated on a hill with a commanding view of the city of Bath. A converted mansion, the building has a lot of character and the lobby, bar, and sitting rooms are cozy and comfortable. Our room was great; we were on the top floor with three windows and a 180 degree view of the city. One morning we ordered breakfast in the room just so we could sit, relax and admire the view.

On the negative side: not all the rooms are like ours. We were with a tour group and a few people found themselves in attic rooms originally intended for servants. Watch out for the room you are given! Also, the single elevator contends for the Guinness record as the world's smallest. It moves at a glacial pace and can hold three with no luggage at most. We chose to climb the three flights of stairs.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Tucson_Travelers
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2006

I booked this hotel as a 60th birthday gift for my mum, both my mum and dad are very fussy about the accomodation they stay in, when they arrived at the hotel they were able to check in 2 hours earlier than normal check in time wthout any fuss at all, and when my parents got to their room they had been upgraded to an executive suite as a gesture of goodwill and the hotel had off their own back, placed a box of belgium chocolates on the bed with a hand written card made out to be from me, which was such a lovely gesture.
my parents dined in the hotel restaurant on both nights they stayed there and found the food excellent, and again they are very fussy with food as well!., they also commented that the breakfast was superb too!.
They thoroughly enjoyed their stay at this hotel and said they will definately be returning.
Remember that most people that make reviews are those that wish to complain, not many people do ever write to companys to say that service was good, they only ever write to complain!
This hotel made my mums 60th one to remember........and all for the right reasons!!!

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank SPerfect72
Reviewed 14 April 2006

Reserved a single, was upgraded to a double (although I can't imagine how small a single must have been... the double wasn't a big room). The room itself was fine, clean, nice big windows, comfortable bed. The bathroom was clean with a great, deep soaking tub, which I love. Two complaints; my room looked out over a bus route, so it was noisy. And the door lock...very flimsy for a hotel. I didn't feel secure until I put a chair against the door. The lounge/bar rooms, which have a non smoking sign but ashtrays on the table, smelled of stale smoke. The breakfast room was beautiful and serene and served a good breakfast. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. Not a bad place but because of the door locks (which I mentioned on the feed-back sheet) I probably would not stay there again as I often travel solo.

1 Thank Milore
UK
Reviewed 30 March 2006

We stayed over the New Year period at this hotel, and experienced the worst hotel stay ever. Paying for an Executive room you would imagine that there would be some benefit over the standard double. Unfortunately at the Lansdowne Grove this means extra cobwebs, broken and flickering lights, and a visible layer of dust around the edges of the room where they hadn't bothered to vacuum properly. On top of that you get a bath plug that doesn't fit the hole, a lack of noise shielding from the corridor and rooms beyond, plus the annoyance of a courtesy light going on and off all night from one of the neighbouring houses.
All of these things on their own you can put up with, but when you add in the terrible service, the very poor food (this is apparently a 4* hotel - it shouldn't be serving obviously-microwaved salmon fillet), and the fact that the staff don't know what they're doing, PLUS the blatant attempt to charge you for items you've never had, it becomes ridiculous and offensive.
If you're a vegetarian or have specific dietary requirements, expect the hotel not to be able to meet your needs. I requested the option of a cheese souffle omelette at dinner and after a lot of fuss eventually received a simple, plain omelette folded up on a side plate as my main course.
They have a long way to go to improve this hotel. Starting from scratch would not be a bad idea.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank sykander
Ashford, Kent
Reviewed 2 March 2006

Rooms clean and comfortable, with good size bathrooms and decent temperature control. TV channel choice limited. While I was there there were clearly not enough staff to go around, and those present were overstretched. It was necessary to ring reception in order to get service at the bar, for instance. Breakfast and dinner were average at best, and I overheard other guests complaining about the food. However, this mediocrity was not reflected in the price, which I considered very expensive. Thereafter I frequented Bath's numerous excellent eateries, obtaining a 100% improvement in quality and service, and a 35% reduction in cost! To top it off, when we left the hotel tried to charge us for items we hadn't purchased, although they were open about how the bill was derived and we were able to rectify the errors. I will probably stay there again as my employer insists that we use the hotel, but I wouldn't spend my own money, or eat there, and nor would I recommend anybody else to do so.

3 Thank Richard P