“Weekend in Bath”

Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Cork Ireland
“Weekend in Bath”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed in Tasburgh House for two nights, arriving April 4, departing April 6. We loved the hotel, and found the welcome from Sue Keeling the owner to be warm and genuine. The room was as pictured , we had a 9yr old daughter with us, so we had a double and single - the beds were really comfortable and we had two very peaceful nights sleep. Ensuite was lovely, terrific shower, very refreshing and lots of towels to hand. We had continental breakfast one morning and cooked the second morning- and enjoyed both . The fresh fruit, cold meats, cereals and cheeses were very very 'moreish' as was the cooked breakfast the second morning. Great coffee as well. We loved the gardens and the views over Bath from the back of the house- you can walk down to the river and along the bank- very peaceful and relaxing after a long motor way drive. Sue was delightful in dealing with any queries about restaurants and taxis. We had a late meal on Friday night in the St George which was a short walk (downhill) from Tasburgh and her name got us a table and we were delighted. Would definitely recommend Tasburgh to anyone looking to stay in Bath- it is more relaxing and you end up finding out a bit more about Bath from someone who lives there and knows the restaurants and shops and how to get around- that's the type of valuable information that you won't get in a chain hotel. Will be back later this year for sure

Room Tip: Ask Sue first !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kidsclub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
aberdeen
Reviewed 6 April 2014

As has been mentioned before the owner tries really hard and is always around but this is not a hotel,it's a b&b and you do feel you are staying in someones home. The price does not reflect this.
We paid £160 a night for a tiny room where there was hardly room to pass each other if we were both out of bed. The bed was a small double and rose in the middle so we both felt in danger of falling out.
The house was covered in scaffolding back and front which we weren't warned about, the telly had 2 channels and the bathroom window was cracked.
The "hotel" shares it's car park with the dental practice in the outbuilding in the front garden.
If you do stay you should budget for taxi's as it may be a 20 minute walk downhill into Bath itself but it is a steep climb back.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank parsAberdeen
Susan K, Owner at Tasburgh House, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
We are so dismayed to read your review especially as we had tried to make your Birthday a special one. Bearing in mind that you requested this particular room and paid £140.00 per night, not £160.00, in spite of being warned that it had a double bed rather than a King or Superking which all the others have, which are. indeed, £160.00 per night. All the TV's have multi channels and of course none have only 2 so had there been a problem of any kind, we make it clear on arrival that we want to be the first to hear . We can only resolve a problem if we are told about it. On the rare occasions when problems arise we make a point of addressing them immediately. You didn't mention this at any time during your stay. We had notified all our incoming guests of the scaffolding due to roof damage caused during the recent floods and high winds which was so regrettable but nevertheless has to be repaired. I think you will agree that none of it obstructed the lovely views from the windows. We are just so very sorry that you found it necessary to complain in this manner rather than giving us the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable.Susan K, Proprietor
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

What a gem! This hotel has all the qualities that discerning travellers look for. Beautifully decorated and furnished in character with it's age, immaculately clean, charming breakfast rooms all laid out with lovely white table cloths, sensitive background music whilst you eat and the bedroom we had was fabulous overlooking the stunning back garden leading down to the Avon and Kennet canal. The breakfasts were amazing and Sue and Delila were so helpful and went the extra mile.
A few days in Bath for my husband's birthday,staying in such surroundings, being treated to a glass of bubbly on arrival and with all the extra touches .....
What more can I say but thank you Sue and we would have no hesitation in recommending Tasburgh House.

Room Tip: One of the rooms with a view at the rear
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drjudymwhite
New Milton, Hampshire
Reviewed 31 March 2014

If you are looking for somewhere a bit special for a break away then this hotel ticks all the boxes. Every room is beautifully and tastefully decorated and the whole place exudes charm and character. Sue and her staff are extremely attentive and nothing is too much trouble. We had the most fabulous room on the top floor but having had a quick peek at some of the others, they are all equally beautiful. The grounds too are really lovely with views across the valley and a 20 min walk along the tow path of the canal brings you into the city centre so no need to take the car. Places like this are hard to find and now we have found it, we will definitely be back - thank you for a fantastic weekend!

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally well decorated but the best views are at the back or to the side of the ho...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I couldn't have asked for more from my stay at Tasburgh House. My boyfriend and I came for a last-minute one-night stay for my birthday. My mum had rung ahead and asked for a bottle of prosecco to be placed in our room on our arrival, so I was welcomed with a 'happy birthday' from Sue, the owner, and Dalila, the manager, as well as a birthday card on my pillow! And while we were there Sue and the staff couldn't have been more charming or done more to make our stay pleasant. The room was beautiful and the grounds were stunning - it would be a lovely place to while away a summer weekend. Our favourite spots were the conservatory, where we spent my birthday morning sipping prosecco enjoying the view of the grounds, and the lounge area, where music is constantly playing to create a homely atmosphere (there was something magic about returning from dinner to drift off to Mozart before going to bed proper).

For me the icing on the cake was being given a wine stopper to take away in order to keep my wine fresh. I didn't think much of it when I noticed it was broken when I got home, until I received the missing part in the post two days after I got back! This is a great indicator of the thoughtfulness and attention to detail that Sue and Dalila put into their guests' stay. I really do hope to return one day.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife surprised me to a weekend away to Bath at late notice. After a sardine packed train journey from London Paddington to Bath Spa stn and then a 5min taxi ride, we were greeted by Sue at the lobby and the check in process was quick and easy.

We had the Wordsworth room (room 3) which was beautiful and I especially loved the over the bed canopy. I was further surprised by a bouquet of roses, which my wife had organised with Sue! What a nice touch with the apple juice (I don't drink alcohol, so champagne would have been wasted). Good quality toiletries and a sewing kit (which was needed to help mend a pair of trousers) was a nice touch. Room was clean and the bedsheets were crisp - just how I like it.

Piece d'resistance was the breakfast conservatory; serene and had a great view over the garden and rolling hills. The continental breakfast selection was of high quality (home made granola was AWESOME) and varied. We ordered a full English breakfast the first day and it was divine. I'm fussy and like my eggs well done and Sue was able to deliver to my expectations (this is rare).

Let's talk about Sue. This lady priorietor is incredible! My wife and I travel extensively for both work and leisure, having stayed at other 5* big chain to boutique hotels. I can attest that Sue's level of above and beyond hospitality is our new gold standard - beats Thai hospitalty hands down! While there were many examples to list over the course of our stay, I will mention two:

1) Sue prepared me an impromptu evening snack, even when the kitchen was not supposed to be open.
2) On our last day, we left our luggage with the hotel and was going to head into town and enjoy the Thermae Spa before picking our luggage up for the train back to London. Sue organised a trustworthy taxi firm to deliver our luggage outside the train stn, when we knew which train we were catching. This level of service I have NEVER experienced before.

We've only been back home one day and have waxed lyrical about Tasburgh Hotel to our friends and family already. While there are many hotels to choose from in Bath, there is only one Sue Keeling! Don't deliberate and just book with the Tasburgh, perhaps you will then be the next person waxing lyrical about this place on TA.

1 Thank hellobayo
Falmouth
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Tasburgh house is a total delight. Our room was lovely with the most comfortable beds imaginable. Everything was spotlessly clean and the service impeccable - 5 star! Sue and her team made us feel so welcome and we felt that nothing was too much trouble. A leisurely breakfast taken in the conservatory on Sunday morning was a treat indeed. Even the rain didn't spoil a lovely walk along the canal. Highly recommended. We shall be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends