“Delightful hotel in a beautiful setting”
Review of Tasburgh House

Tasburgh House
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Long Beach
“Delightful hotel in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I was surprised to read the last review of Tasburgh House having just been there myself earlier this month. Unlike that reveiwer, my husband and I had a wonderful experience there. We are frequent travellers and expect a lot from the hotels we choose. Tasburgh easily lived up to our expectations. We were warmly greeted by Toni and found both she and her Mom wonderful hosts. This is a 16 room country Inn, not a big chain hotel so while the service many not be the quickest, it is very personal and charming. We stayed in the Bronte room which was lovely...the bathroom a bit smaller than we would have chosen but beautifully appointed with an excellent shower! Guests are given 1 lovely bag of bathroom amenities and if you stayed more than 3 nites, you would need another bar of soap....I can' t imagine Toni refusing to give one if asked. She knew it was our anniversary and left a note and brownies on our bed for our arrival. Every time we asked for ice, it came with chocolates and strawberries...how can you beat that??? Toni went out of her way to help us schedule our stay so we could see most of Bath. We had dinner at Moon and Sixpence at her recommendation and it was great! There's plenty of parking at Tasburgh and we did not find it crowded or difficult to park. The walk in to town is 20 minutes on the road, 30 if you go thru the property and along the canal which is beautiful...we always walked downhill to town and then took a cab back for about $7.50. Breakfast is served in the Conservatory and it was great...homemade granola, fresh squeezed orange juice, ham, cheese,etc. We really enjoyed visiting Bath and woudl surely stay at Tasburgh House again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

The advance literature looked inviting and we happily anticipated our arrival at the house. I say house, because we would not call Tasburgh House a hotel but a large guest house.

On entering, we were greeted by a small swarm of flies in the reception area and had to fight our way through them to ring the bell to attract attention. When Antonia arrived, she was cheerful and welcoming, but didn’t seem to notice the flies! We wondered if the flies were house guests of Charlie the parrot whose cage was close by in the reception area!

We were given a tour of the facilities and then shown to our room – the Keats Room. This turned out to be a small attic room right at the top of the house, with two flights of stairs to negotiate. There is no lift as we were informed when the question was asked.

The room was very pleasant if a bit small, and the sloping ceilings called for some careful movement round the bed. The views were as promised and the house is in a very picturesque location.

Working on information contained in the brochure, we were looking forward to having one of the ‘simple home-prepared suppers served in the conservatory’ as we didn’t initially wish to go into Bath to eat. However, we were informed quite simply that the suppers were only served to groups of 6 or more. We were also told that breakfast was at 8.30am the next morning in spite of the room information folder stating 7.30am, which would have suited us as we were flying the next day.

We would certainly question the ‘hotel’ label for the house as it always been our understanding that the term implies the provision of meals. In this respect, we have previously enjoyed a stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel, closer to the city centre and costing not much more for a full service.

This left us travelling into Bath for a restaurant meal and on Susan’s advice, we booked a taxi with a firm which according to Susan, they had an arrangement. The taxi was some 15 minutes late and it was left for us to look out for its arrival. When the delay was mentioned, the driver merely said that traffic was bad, but made no effort to apologise for the wait. There was no sign of Susan or Toni as we left.

Needless to say, we did not make the return journey with the same company!

We left the next morning after a reasonable continental breakfast with mixed feelings about our stay. When five-star service is mentioned, we believe this is what Susan is trying to achieve, rather than a rating bestowed on Tasburgh by one of the hotel inspection bodies.

Our impression is that whilst Susan is giving a cheerful ‘front of house’ welcome, she would do well to pay more attention to the background detail that five-star service demands. In addition; we felt that Toni, rather skimpily dressed and with a tongue-stud, didn’t quite fit in with what we would expect in a five-star establishment.

On a final note, after being asked to pay an additional 60p for a 50p morning newspaper, it was somewhat embarrassing to have to wait while Susan foraged for small change, searching handbags etc. with the result that we left foregoing £1 in change to avoid any further embarrassment. It would have been better to wave the payment altogether if the management couldn’t run to a petty-cash float. Again, basic detail.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
14 Thank crip65
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I couldn't have been more pleased with this accomodation. Prior to and after making our reservation, I wrote several e-mails regarding transportation from Heathrow, etc. Susan took the time to reseach my questions and promptly replied. By the time we arrived in Bath, I felt like Susan was a good friend. During our four-night stay, Susan was always available for whatever we needed. The Tasburgh House is one of those quiet modest places where you can relax and enjoy the lovely view from the back yard or walk along the river to the local pub for a good meal. Susan will gladly provide recommendations and, whenever you desire, she will have a taxi waiting for you and speak to the driver to ensure you are driven to the right place. It is quite obvious that Susan cares that you enjoy your stay at the Tasburgh House and the city of Bath. Why stay any place else when you can get such First Class attention.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I stayed at the Tasburgh with 15 blokes on a golf trip.
It is not your typical golf resort hote…it only has 9/10 rooms I think.
I had seen the hotel on the TV a few tears ago on “The Hotel Inspector” and watched avidly as Sue the owner took on board comments and turned the place around.

I thought to myself as I watched the programme I would like to stay at the hotel when I next visted Bath..I had no idea it would be with 15 blokes as I didn’t make the booking.

Great hotel, fantastic welcome and breakfasts and Sue and her daughter Toni treated us very well.

Comfy beds (Hypnos) , nice soaps etc, and great sheets and towels

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Lardie
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I am not sure which I enjoyed the most: my stay in this wonderful, atmospheric hotel or the lovely city of Bath. I chose this hotel based upon the good reviews and I was not dissappointed.

The position was one of the first things that had appealed to me. I live in a large, polluted city, but as a non-driving, lone traveller it is difficult for me to escape to the countryside. Tasburgh House offers the best of both worlds - close proximity to the town, yet with lovely views of the countryside and a walk along the towpath into town. It took me about 20 mins to walk into town along the road and I didn't feel the need for a taxi back in the evening, prefering instead the lovely views as I walked.

Once I had arrived, the thing that impressed me the most was the wonderful, friendly atmoshere - Toni was a mine of information, so helpful, with a real personal interest in all of her guests. You are left with the impression that you are a guest in a private home, rather than staying in a hotel.

I had booked the single room, but on arrival, I was told that they had upgraded me to a double as I was staying for four nights. The Browning room was very comfortable and tastefully decorated in tones of white, cream, black and brown. The bed linen was sparkling white, with a lovely soft pillow and duvet.

I particularly enjoyed my breakfast in the conservatory, with views of the countryside. The staff at breakfast were very attentive and friendly. I prefer a continental breakfast and the one at Tasburgh House was delicious - fresh orange juice, cereals and muisli, fruits, meats and my favourite goat cheese. There was also an additional menu of cooked breakfasts if you desired.

Susan, Toni's mother, returned from a short break before I left and she proved to be just as friendly and helpful as a daughter - a wonderful team! I can thoroughly recommend Tasburgh House as providing the best of all worlds - town and country, hotel and guest house. I would certainly return if I was visiting Bath again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank SuSanL53
Istanbul
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed at Tasburg House for three nights sharing the spacious Shelly Room with my colleague. I have to say that this is more like a guest house then a hotel. I half knew this before I stayed at the hotel because I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor so it was not a problem. I knew what to expect.
But Toni was not included in this expectation. I think if you take her out of the equation the hotel would not feel the same.
Toni, who is one of the owners of the hotel (the other is her mum who unfortunately we could not see because she was away) , is a very charming, chirpy lady. If you happen to call the hotel, your connection starts at that minute. If not, starting from the moment you step into the hotel until the minute you leave the premises she looks after you. If needed she takes your luggage upstairs, brings you water (on a nice tray with glasses and a little bowl of chocolate chips or nuts), recommends where to go, books your restaurant for the night, calls your taxi, even arranges your appointment with a fashion designer.
So, you are a guest who is looked after here.
Due to this approach you do not notice small faults in the rooms.
The hotel is away from the town center; it suited us well because we were there for business purposes. If it had been a touristic stay I would have preferred to be in the town center.
Having a free parking facility was a bliss because everyone had warned us about the parking problems in Bath.
The hotel has a nice feeling to it; there is a personal touch everywhere.
All the rooms are named after authors and in the landing where the room doors open to there is a desk with a laptop and next to it a teddy bear with an open book in its hands.
Breakfast is served downstairs in a room next to the Drawing Room and in the conservatory with a beautiful view of the city down the hill.
There are flowers and plants everywhere.
The breakfast is simple but good.
And the beds! so comfortable.
I stayed at many hotels around the room. Toni's hotel's beds are one of the best.
You have a real good sleep at this hotel.
This is not a posh boutique guest house but more like a nice home of a friend where you are to spend a couple of nights. I am very happy we stayed there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Threearrows
the upper midwest
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We've just returned from a too-short stay at the Tasburgh House, an elegant property run without stuffiness or formality. The house and gardens are exceptionally kept, and the staff are warm and welcoming. They greeted us by name as we arrived, and were especially kind to our young daughter, a quality that just made us like it more. Toni understands the needs of travelers, and is full of wonderful patient advice on shopping and dining attractions in the area. The garden overlooks the valley, and breakfast, either in the beautiful dining room or in the sunny conservatory, is skillfully served. Freshly squeezed orange juice, homemade granola, croissants, Greek yogurt and fruit complement the other breakfast selections. Fresh hot tea and coffee appear almost magically. We've already recommended this property to friends! .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family