“Disappointing”

and 1 more site!
Highways House
Ranked #47 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in February 2014. Location is quite good (although you have to be fairly fit to manage the steep incline from Bath to the Guest House) - and about a 15 minute walk into town. Guest House, we weren't as impressed with. In dire need of modernisation! Room extremely small (wasn't able to open the chest of drawers fully as it was up against the wardrobe) and furnishings very old fashioned. Ensuite in desperate need of refurbishment. Shower facility inadequate - very poor flow and shower head very grubby. Ensuite also very cold as there was no radiator in the bathroom - a heated towel rail wouldn't have gone amiss!! Breakfast a little better and I enjoyed the fresh fruit salad and a good selection of food on offer. Having said this, I asked for a croissant on the Sunday and this was dry and still frozen in the middle and the full English breakfast was quite good on the Saturday morning but on the Sunday morning was swimming in grease and unappetising. The proprietor was quite welcoming but in general we feel that for the price we had paid (£85 per night) we would have expected something a bit better (think we will stick to a travel lodge next time as it would have been cheaper and the room and facilities better!!)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We saw this hotel on line last January, can't believe my husband + I looked forward to it for almost a year.
What an enormous disappointment .
The building itself looks not only old ( we knew it was ) it's almost dilapidated.
The greeting on arrival was friendly. So far so good.
We were told breakfast was from 8.30 - 9.30 on a weekend , quite late in my opinion, not much time.
The room itself was small + tired looking ,bathroom a disgrace, shower curtain extremely stained , rusty mirror! broken light pull above the mirror,. A disgusting looking toilet brush, who uses those filthy germ ridden things ?!! Toilet seat kept coming off, + that's what I can remember!
It says on the website that there's free wifi in every room, no there isn't.
On asking the owner , he said 'it's only in the lounge '( another very tired looking room)
He knocked £10 off our bill, big deal.
There's thick dust all over, including the lampshade in our room, fabric flowers all over the house were thick with it.
The dining room itself is dirty, walls, seat cushions, radiators etc..
I asked for poached egg on toast, I receive ONE egg , + one slice of toast.
I did ask for another one + got one,
The full English my husband had was fine, but why only one egg for me I can't work out.
Price was appalling on reflection, £180 for two nights, yet we saw a bill for the family room (4 people) for £125 , how do you work that out ?!!????
Do not stay here, a travel lodge would have been better, at least they're clean.

Room Tip: I don't suppose there are any good rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed 7 December 2013

stayed for four nights on a business trip. Very warm and clean room, informative and friendly host. Convenient for city centre and on a main road with good buses. Comprehensive and well cooked breakfast. Would stay there again without hesitation and recommend it. Only two points I would make, although it didn't seriously impinge - would have appreciated a table to work at and couldn't get internet contact in the annexe.
David from Edinburgh

Room Tip: Stayed in the annexe. Spacious room and very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Highways house was a very comfortable Bed & Breakfast, very clean traditional British B & B. Very clean with friendly staff. Good breakfast with plenty of choice. The location is good for exploring Bath city centre and local Historical features. Off road parking is very good as public car parks in Bath are very expensive. A 10 minute walk down hill to the city, but no good if walking is a problem back up the hill, taxi is about £5.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked this b&b at the last minute so if we had read some reviews on it it would have saved us. The room was small smelly,shocking small old uncomfortable double bed,dirty en suite, breakfast was very basic one cup of coffee one piece of toast no one asked if we wanted more it was purely run as a business get them in get them out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ridgie14
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I arrived late one September night when it was raining hard and I was exhausted from a 2.5 hours drive. Luckily, I was given a large room with a really BIG comfy bed which I slept in like a baby! Breakfast was excellent and everyone was friendly and helpful. Thanks for making my trip easy and enjoyable!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

To be honest this was the only B&B with availability I could find at short notice when I urgently needed to visit my daughter in Bath. The room (no 7) was a double and a decent size in an annexe at the back of the house. It felt damp and the only heating was a space heater which clicked on and off and was noisy, so if I wanted to sleep the room was cold. Although the bed itself was comfortable the duvet felt like a solid lump and the pillows were thin foam. Shower room was tired but clean. Breakfast was adequate although a long time in coming.
No accommodation in Bath is cheap, but I didn't feel that this was good value at £70 for a single.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo