“Fantastic”

Ranked #59 of 154 Bath B&B and Inns
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay and would recommend this B&B to all, very clean food plenty and wonderful excellent choice something for everyone. The Bus was a bit dear take a taxi much cheaper. Looking forward to a retun visits.

Sheila and Jim

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 7 in the annex lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheila W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Highways House is fairly central to Bath, with a free car park which is a plus as many B and B's you would have to pay extra for parking. The room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast was hearty and cooked to a high standard. Very reasonably priced - I as other reviews was a little anxious to stay here after reading on trip advisor but was pleasently surprised. Thank you

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Set back from busy main road, on a slope, bus stop into town immediately outside the house. The 10 (down)-15 (uphill) minute walk from/to town makes Highways House fairly central.

We had a 'superior double room' in the annexe, which was a bit dark but at least away from the traffic noise. Narrow shower cubicle. The 'courtesy' tray offered one pack of three small ginger nuts for two people and no hot chocolate.

The bed was comfortable, but the advertised 'wireless internet access in all rooms' did not materialise, and when taken up with the proprietor, he reduced the bill by £10, saying he would amend his website. However, on checking today, I find the same is still advertised! I have since come across another review where £10 had been 'knocked off' the bill, which leads me to suspect that Dr. O. counts on his guests' reticence to challenge him over his advertised terms.

The breakfast room was a bit dark and stuffy, the breakfast good with a good quality sausage. The guest lounge bright and comfortable with a tray of port for guests' use to unwind in the evening.
Good on-site parking, but I am not sure this house can claim to boast a four star AA rating as per their website.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights from 7/4/14. After reading some of the reviews I was a bit anxious about staying here. I needn't have worried, the house was fine. It was clean and comfortable. We were made most welcome and the breakfast was great. It takes about 10 mins to walk into Bath and the hill is not too bad on the way back. Would stay here again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vivieneLondon
leic
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a lovely stay in Bath at the Highways house. It's a B&B don't expect a boutique hotel. What you get is a personal service. On arrival we were given a friendly welcome, explaining housekeeping breakfast etc. Lovely touch having port to drink after an evening out although we didn't partake. We had the annexe room at the end with a large double and a single. It was well appointed with bottled water, tea and coffee facilities as well as complementary toiletries. My two minor niggles would be the single bed had a single duvet which I never find adequate for a grown up! The other would be that as this room is accessed from the outside and despite there being a mat for feet wiping the carpet does not feel clean and a wood floor would perhaps be a better option for such a room. Beds were comfy! Breakfast next morning-plenty to choose from including cooked breakfast. Free parking-great bonus esp as we were able to leave the car all next day. Walk to town is lovely and just right distance-coming back uphill will be a good workout! Hope to return!

• Stayed February 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in February 2014. Location is quite good (although you have to be fairly fit to manage the steep incline from Bath to the Guest House) - and about a 15 minute walk into town. Guest House, we weren't as impressed with. In dire need of modernisation! Room extremely small (wasn't able to open the chest of drawers fully as it was up against the wardrobe) and furnishings very old fashioned. Ensuite in desperate need of refurbishment. Shower facility inadequate - very poor flow and shower head very grubby. Ensuite also very cold as there was no radiator in the bathroom - a heated towel rail wouldn't have gone amiss!! Breakfast a little better and I enjoyed the fresh fruit salad and a good selection of food on offer. Having said this, I asked for a croissant on the Sunday and this was dry and still frozen in the middle and the full English breakfast was quite good on the Saturday morning but on the Sunday morning was swimming in grease and unappetising. The proprietor was quite welcoming but in general we feel that for the price we had paid (£85 per night) we would have expected something a bit better (think we will stick to a travel lodge next time as it would have been cheaper and the room and facilities better!!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We saw this hotel on line last January, can't believe my husband + I looked forward to it for almost a year.
What an enormous disappointment .
The building itself looks not only old ( we knew it was ) it's almost dilapidated.
The greeting on arrival was friendly. So far so good.
We were told breakfast was from 8.30 - 9.30 on a weekend , quite late in my opinion, not much time.
The room itself was small + tired looking ,bathroom a disgrace, shower curtain extremely stained , rusty mirror! broken light pull above the mirror,. A disgusting looking toilet brush, who uses those filthy germ ridden things ?!! Toilet seat kept coming off, + that's what I can remember!
It says on the website that there's free wifi in every room, no there isn't.
On asking the owner , he said 'it's only in the lounge '( another very tired looking room)
He knocked £10 off our bill, big deal.
There's thick dust all over, including the lampshade in our room, fabric flowers all over the house were thick with it.
The dining room itself is dirty, walls, seat cushions, radiators etc..
I asked for poached egg on toast, I receive ONE egg , + one slice of toast.
I did ask for another one + got one,
The full English my husband had was fine, but why only one egg for me I can't work out.
Price was appalling on reflection, £180 for two nights, yet we saw a bill for the family room (4 people) for £125 , how do you work that out ?!!????
Do not stay here, a travel lodge would have been better, at least they're clean.

Room Tip: I don't suppose there are any good rooms