“Relaxing hotel, with excellent service”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We booked this hotel for a relaxing weekend wanting excellent service, food and wine and this is exactly what we got.

We arrived midday and as soon as we pulled into the drive area we were greeted by a member of the reception team who came to welcome us and collect our luggage. We were shown into the hotel and didn't see our luggage again until we got to our room. We were given a tour of the hotel and the man explained to us were the resturant, spa and drawing room were etc. We were then taken to our room which was called Bluebell.

Our room had a four poster bed with antique styled furniture with a bow window overlooking the front of the hotel including beautiful curtains and pelmet etc. The bathroom was very modern and clean with fluffy white towels and Molton Brown products. There was also a turn down service but no tea and coffee making facilities, but we enjoy a pot of tea being brought to our room each morning. Our second day was our anniversary and we spent the day shopping in Bath City Centre. When we returned mid afternoon our room had been decorated with candles and rose petals and red roses in vases, together with a card, this was a lovely touch and this kind of caring service makes your visit extra special. The only negative we can give about the room was was extremely warm and there was no air conditioning.

We had a spa treatment booked, which was excellent and priced with its range for the hotel.

We used the Drawing Room for afternoon tea and pre dinner drinks, again decorated with antique furniture, large pictures and large lamps etc. It was very relaxing in here as this room overlooked the garden which was stocked with lots of plants and trees. We understand that the Head Gardener will give you a guided tour which we only found out the morning we were leaving. There were plenty of newspapers to read and free wifi.

All of the staff at this hotel could not do enough for you, they make you feel very special and try their best to please and offer excellent service. Yes this hotel is expensive but you get what you pay for and its worth paying to get those extra touches which make your stay enjoyable.

We did use the resturant - see the seperate review.

We would recommend this and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Use hotel website to look at pictures of each room, also worthwhile speaking to hotel as they were v...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarenBateman66

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Having searched extensively for a SPA within reasonable distance of our home nr Andover, The Bath Priory popped up onto my radar. On paper it ticked all the boxes, a professional spa, lounging pool, sauna, steam room, gym, old fashioned charm, 5 star awards etc....

The first point I would make is about
Arrival: Bare in mind, the Sat Nav postal code tells you to turn right (coming from Bath city centre) at the entrance (which is on the left!!!), a little confusing when you're taking your lead from the voice instruction along a busy rd and the entrance is through a gap in a high wall.

First impression: the Hotel is charming, the main reception lounges very well furnished, in particular the lounge facing, and opening onto the rear gardens, with its high ceilings, oil paintings, plush plump cushions on sumptuous cosy couches and Edwardian atmosphere. The staff were attentive, polite and professional.

Our room: The Heather suite, located on the top floor, in a newer part of the hotel, has fab views over the south-facing gardens and my wife was suitably impressed, particularly with the lovely little gift and card left by the hotel who knew it was my Wife's Birthday. That was a nice touch. In assessing the so-called 5 star standards, and this is where my initial delight took a slight knock, there was a constant fan hum coming from outside our balcony, I think from the pool spa extractor. This constant sound became intrusive quite quickly, affecting the tranquility whilst we relaxed in our room. In the bathroom, there was a long, quite obvious water stain running above the skirting, embedded in the wall paper. It begs the question, why wall paper in a bathroom? As an impression of the standards of housekeeping, this is not 5 star in my view. Another impression that, in my view, fell below 5 star, was our initial search for the hair dryer, where to plug it in, then how to dry your hair whilst perched on the arm of a chair, looking into a tiny mirror tucked deep inside the wardrobe on top of a little chest of drawers. (see image). A really poor arrangement at this price level. Why a mirror and plug for the dryer couldn't be located by the big desk is a mystery? At turn down, the towel I had taken down to the pool earlier, had not been replaced, again a poor oversight at this level. The lighting in the room was relaxing and well placed. The heating/temperature in the room was spot on for sitting around, but too warm for sleeping. We had the windows wide open and still kept pushing away the duvet. This is a personal detail, as we sleep at home in a relatively cold room by choice. Worth commenting on was the very atmospheric view we had from our balcony at night. It was a full moon and all the trees were lit up, really quite magical. The bed was huge and just soooo comfortable, as was the duvet and soft soft soft pillows!

Spa and pool: My wife had a spa treatment during the first afternoon, whilst I had a leisurely swim and used the excellent sauna and the steam room. There are changing facilities and suitable footwear, excellent showers and lounger chairs. The pool is only for relaxing in, not swimming, it isn't long enough. My wife's spa treatment, was by her account, very relaxing and to be recommended if you stay a weekend, but book in advance as it gets very busy.

Room Service: We ordered breakfast in our room. This was delivered on time, was well presented with cloches, excellent coffee, croissant, toast etc. My wife had scrambled egg which we both agreed was way too salty. My poached egg on the other hand was spot on, but for a hair found on the plate as I lifted the cloche! So, overall the breakfast was 6/10

Lounge Service: we had a sandwich in the lounge just after we arrived. This was moist, very well flavoured and was accompanied by a little well dressed salad.

We enjoyed a good stroll around the nicely maintained lawns, the vegetable garden and the majestic tall trees, but were surprised to find a dumping ground for all sorts of stuff, including used doors, at one end of the gardens thinly disguised by trees.

It's lack of attention to details like this that mar the overall impression of what purports to be hospitality at the very highest level in the industry. The nuts and bolts are there, but my own impression is that this is 4 star, not 5. To me 5 star means panache, going the extra mile, that extra attention to detail, getting drinks served in crystal, perhaps a little flower on the room service tray, making sure that every little element works and is thought out. In short, the WOW factor and perfection, this wasn't...... it was pleasant. I've stayed in B+Bs in far flung locations which have had that for a lot less money. If I'm paying these prices I expect the very best in every part of my experience.
What really counts though is that my wife loved her surprise. The staff were excellent.

And finally, Location. It is a pleasant 20 minute walk through the tree lined streets and, if you like, through the botanical gardens, to the city centre, so leave the car in the carpark for free!. A taxi one way trip into town is £5.00

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions and have a good look at the suites on the website. I wouldn't choose the h...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I am a follower of relais chateaux hotels and have stayed in over a dozen. In my opinion the hotel is not sufficiently organised to qualify for this title. I booked for one night with the aim of having treatments all day and relaxing overnight. I received a call two nights before my arrival to stay that one of my treatments was double booked so would have to be moved to later on in the day. The person delivering this message was rather abrupt on the telephone. . I arrived to find the hotel were not excepting me so early despite knowing i had treatments booked and when they checked their systems I was shown to the spa. The treatment which had moved had also been incorrectly booked on the system for the wrong day which I spotted and they had to correct. The treatments were very nice, but the treatment room was a considerable walk from the spa, which I had to ensure in a dressing gown in front of several onlookers - not very relaxing. I ordered lunch which I had to eat perched on a stylish but I unfeasibly high and uncomfortable chair in the spa, where my rather short legs could not reach the ground. After lunch I made enquiries about my room and was told it was ready. So I had to get dressed, go to the hotel reception, take my bag to my room and then go back to the spa. In any other relais hotel this would have been organised for me. All rather disorganised and disappointing. I took a stroll around the gardens with the head gardener the next day, which was the best part of the stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ctizen
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Very helpful staff when booking. Welcoming on arrival and very attentive during our stay. The Signature Dinner Menu was probably the best dining experience we have ever enjoyed anywhere in the world.
When staying at the sister hotel, Gidleigh Park, we were recommended to try The Bath Priory. The hotel in Bath had a different ambience but of equally high quality. The hotel is easily accessed, within walking distance of Bath city centre and there is adequate on-site car parking - all very plus points.

2  Thank billymac_10
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We enjoyed a very relaxing one night break here for my partner's birthday. We really liked this hotel because of its setting close to the centre of Bath, its beautiful gardens (despite the very wet weather while we were there!) and the relaxing tranquility that pervaded the whole establishment. Our room was lovely - spacious, nicely furnished and with great views over the gardens. We enjoyed lunch, dinner and breakfast (in that order!) while we were there and thought the food was extremely good, with the possible exception of breakfast where we felt the continental buffet selection was ok but no more than that (due to limited choice). We found the customer service in all areas of the hotel to be first class from start to finish.

There are just four "niggles" which narrowly prevent me from rating this hotel as "excellent". First, the hotel staff, both in writing and in person, addressed me as "Miss" despite the fact that I had never called myself this. I think if a hotel goes to the trouble of wanting to address its guests by name, it's worth making sure the correct title is used - otherwise it rather defeats the object. Second, we were "allocated" a table for dinnner for 7 30 pm and not asked if that time was convenient - leaving the impression that it was "7 30 take it or leave it". Thirdly, it's a long time since we've stayed in a hotel where the shower is in the bath and we think it would be better to make this clear in the room descriptions - particularly as we had one of the premier deluxe rooms. And finally (and most irritatingly!), the safe in our room was located on the top shelf of the wardrobe which meant that I had absolutely no chance of reaching it unless I stood on a chair. That seemed like quite poor design to us. The hairdryer, iron and one or two other items were also stored up there and, although we didn't need any of those items, again I would have had to stand on a chair to reach them had I not had a 6ft tall partner!

Those little niggles in no way detracted from what was a very enjoyable experience - but personally I think it is getting the detail right that makes a hotel truly top notch.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room with a view over the gardens.
1  Thank NatashaHertfordshire
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The staff are such warm, helpful, and friendly people, that they make you feel as though you are "royalty" for the weekend. Unfortuantely, when my wife and I were there, the indoor swimming pool (and sauna) was being refurbished, but I am sure that work must have been completed by now. Nevertheless, the massage facilities, and reflexology in the Spa were second to none. And the food is to die for. Cordon Bleu cuisine at its best. I am sure that a Michelin Star won't be long coming. I see TedJohns in his review mentions about the walk into the city centre. We find the walk dowm to the city quite delightful, but admittedly the pull up the hill, is more than my feet will stand, so the bus from the Guildhall to right outside the hotel is the answer; alternatively taxis are readily available.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the garden. So peaceful and tranquile. I could spent all day, sitting in the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WL_man
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Originally due to be staying in a different hotel, we ended up at the Bath Priory after an error caused our original reservation elsewhere to be cancelled. It was all very last minute over the Easter weekend and after much to-ing and fro-ing with the other hotel, I spoke to Alex at the Bath Priory who gave me an excellent rate for the same evening. I could tell the minute I spoke to her that this hotel valued its customers and this was confirmed when we eventually arrived, with all members of staff going out of their way to assist in any way they can. The location is north of Victoria Park, it's a pleasant walk into town but you will possibly need to taxi it back as it's all uphill and a good 15-20 minute walk. They have parking though, which not all hotels in Bath do. The hotel is fabulous, with just the right amount of attention to detail. It feels like staying in a very exclusive private house with excellent service. The room we had (Classic) was lovely and plenty big enough. I ordered a complimentary hospitality tray as no tea/coffee in the room. TV has Sky sports. Great bathroom with separate bath and shower and Molton Brown tolietries.The room had the hugest, most comfortable bed ever. Only complaint was no temperature control, it was very warm in our room even with the windows open. The spa was great and serves light lunches and drinks. There is no jacuzzi but they do have a great steam room and a small pool. Breakfast was delicious. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: A standard Classic room did not feel like the cheap option, you don't need to splash out for a h...
2  Thank Mac7471