“Excellent (shame about breakfast)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Bath
UK
“Excellent (shame about breakfast)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful weekend. The hotel is superb, the room we had overlooked the garden and was as good as we could have wished for. The staff were excellent, catering for your every need, always on hand but never intrusive. We ate in the bar one night and the food was excellent. Our only gripe was the breakfast, the continental buffet was good, but "cooked to order" items were poor and the filter coffee surprisingly tasteless. To be fair I mentioned this at checkout and they took the charge for breakfast off the bill. Otherwise well worth it

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are the way to go
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have just had a wonderful stay in a garden spa suite with dinner and wine flight - highly recommend the experience for a special occasion - everything was superb - especially the staff. can't wait to go back!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed in May in the weekend after our wedding as we needed a break. This is a really wonderful place to have an indulgent few days. The room we stayed in was filled with interesting aspects of Africa and had a fabulous slipper bath in the room itself- which was immaculately clean , well stocked and looked directly onto the gorgeous and well maintained gardens, which reminded my a little of the Draughtsmans Contract.
There is a pool and steam room etc but I wouldn't recommend it for a spa-type break.
We each had the tasting menu which was absolutely first class- though the restaurant itself was the least interesting of the public rooms
The service throughout our stay was excellent without being snobby or over done
All in all a brilliant place for an indulgent few days

1 Thank stevebrenman
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked the Bath Priory as a birthday surprise for my girlfriend's birthday.
Once booked I got an email from them asking if there were any room requirements or if the trip was a special occasion. I informed them it was a birthday trip and on arrival to the room there was a card and gift from the hotel which we both thought was a lovely treat.

The staff are all extremely friendly and nothing is too much bother for them.

The hotel it's self is lovely, very homely and welcoming and the gardens are simply beautiful.

The room had three things I was disappoint with but in no way spoiled our stay.

1. No air conditioning, just a large floor standing fan.

2. If you needed a plug socket you had to climb over the back of the sofa or scrabble under the TV. We were going to use the sockets next to the bed where the lamps are plugged in but these were not standard sockets so couldn't be used.

3. No fridge in the room.

For a 5 star hotel I would have expected 2 & 3 to have been provided, the air-con you can understand being an old building, installing would be a nightmare if at all possible?

But I do need to stress these points did not detract from our stay at all, it was just a surprise for such a good hotel to have these flaws.

We ate in the hotel restaurant and had the ten course surprise menu. Stunning is the only word to describe the culinary delights that were brought out. A real treat that will be in our memories for a very long time!

In short, we loved this hotel and will be back some day to relax and enjoy it again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nick H
Kettering
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked a stay at this hotel pretty much as a last minute decision. Admittedly this is a five star hotel and has a restaurant with a Michelin star chef, so my expectations were already high. Good service is not always guaranteed by having prestigious labels and exceeding expectations is never easy, but this hotel managed to exceed my expectations on almost every occasion.
Booking in I was sent a form, purely option of course but asked the sort of simple questions that would make the stay better. Arriving at the hotel we were greeted and recognised by name immediately, I guess it was from the car registration. We had had an arduous journey to Bath and upon arrival were ready for a cup of tea, this must have been obvious to the staff and we were told not to bother with registration they would look after that and instead we were served a delicious afternoon tea in the gardens.
The hotel was excellent as you would expect for a 5 star establishment. The room we had overlooked the grounds and had everything you could possible want in a room size that was excellent.
The most impressive part of the visit was the dinner on Saturday evening. We opted for the surprise menu. Ten courses all of which as chosen by the chef and came with a glass of wine to compliment the food. Now 10 courses takes some time to get through, but we were never rushed and no matter who you asked all the staff knew the details behind the dish we were eating.
As you will see from my other reviews I have stayed in a range of different hotels over the years. I am a firm believer in good customer service and in exceeding my expectations. I may have different levels of expectations when staying in a Premier Inn to staying at the Bath Priory but good service is about exceeding those expectations and this hotel certainly did that and that was down to the staff knowing and acting for their guests needs. I will go back to this hotel anytime. It is excellent

Room Tip: Try the surprise menu. It not something you do every day and the food is absolutely fantastic
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank King_Kanute
Lee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The service and surroundings here are second to none .The clean crisp atmosphere and beautiful food here are the perfect combination for a very special weekend away
I would suggest that you stick to the tasting menu and give the place the opportunity to present to you what the kitchen can do as the taste and design on the plate are equally thrilling

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bathpriory, General Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear mary T,

Wow nice review, I agree our tasting menu is definitley worth experiencing (but i think we could be baised!!), thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to seeing you again soon
regards
Andrew
Henley on Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay over the May Day weekend, staying in the Lobelia room.
This was spacious and comfortable, with two sofas and a huge bed.
Breakfast was excellent and special mention goes to the breakfast chef who cooked our eggs exactly as asked ( no runny yolk)
The gardens were particularly beautiful and peaceful, even though the hotel was fully booked.
The only thing I didn't like, and this is common with most Michelin starred restaurants these days, is that the whole table has to have the tasting menu if one person does. This meant that I went to bed hungry after a £300 meal; I couldn't face eating the raw scallop starter, almost raw duck and raw egg yolk on mushrooms. Of course I could have had the a la carte but knew my husband would prefer the Tasting menu. I think restaurants shouldn't expect guests to have to compromise at these prices. They would say that the chef doesn't like to serve a mix of a la carte and tasting menus, I would say let us choose!
That was the only minor dissatisfaction, everything else was perfect!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear honeyHenleyonThames

Thank you for posting your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay over the Mayday weekend. Like you I find our gardens to be heavenly. I will certainly pass on your prise to our breakfast chef, he will be thrilled.

Your comments about menu's is a very interesting point and i would never want our guests to go to bed unsatisfied. I will indeed discuss this with Sam our head chef and review our current offerings.

kindest regards