“Three rooms for the price of one - well, not really!”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Three rooms for the price of one - well, not really!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had booked a classic room facing the courtyard side of the hotel. I should have enquired beforehand (though we had only booked the night before) but, on arrival, we discovered the room was up two flights of stairs and then, in the room itself, up another flight of stairs to the bedroom and bathroom area - not ideal for older guests, though an ingenious use of the original building, nevertheless.

Vicky and her colleagues could not have been more helpful and, at no extra cost, we were upgraded to a superior room facing the beautiful gardens. So far so good we thought. However, we discovered that there were problems with wifi reception (except in the bathroom) and, to cut a long story short, we were further upgraded to a superior deluxe room facing the garden where our devices worked perfectly, as they did throughout the hotel. I am sure that our wifi problem will have been sorted out by now.

So what of our stay? Delightful room on the first floor with a comfortable settee, a table and three other chairs. Good lighting (not the case in all hotels) and a sensible sized safe. But a paucity of accessible plugs. Surprisingly, there was no general information about the hotel in this third room, nor indeed our second, which is usually the first thing we look for. Nowadays it is a surprise not be asked whether you wish your towels to be changed each day.

We ate in the Pantry on one evening which was ideal for us but there is also a Michelin star restaurant. We seem not to be alone in finding the cost of breakfast somewhat on the high side.

There is a spa, which we did not try, but a heated outdoor pool which I did. I appreciate that it is not easy to cater for all tastes but I have to say that I found it far too warm for proper swimming, a view that was shared by another swimmer. I would have thought that a few degrees cooler would still have been acceptable, as well as being more eco-friendly.

The hotel is well placed out of the bustle of central Bath but within easy reach of the city centre. Once settled, we had a very relaxing stay and would certainly consider a further visit.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a room facing the garden if you are going to have time to appreciate it. You can a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
UK
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful weekend. The hotel is superb, the room we had overlooked the garden and was as good as we could have wished for. The staff were excellent, catering for your every need, always on hand but never intrusive. We ate in the bar one night and the food was excellent. Our only gripe was the breakfast, the continental buffet was good, but "cooked to order" items were poor and the filter coffee surprisingly tasteless. To be fair I mentioned this at checkout and they took the charge for breakfast off the bill. Otherwise well worth it

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are the way to go
1 Thank Michael S
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have just had a wonderful stay in a garden spa suite with dinner and wine flight - highly recommend the experience for a special occasion - everything was superb - especially the staff. can't wait to go back!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed in May in the weekend after our wedding as we needed a break. This is a really wonderful place to have an indulgent few days. The room we stayed in was filled with interesting aspects of Africa and had a fabulous slipper bath in the room itself- which was immaculately clean , well stocked and looked directly onto the gorgeous and well maintained gardens, which reminded my a little of the Draughtsmans Contract.
There is a pool and steam room etc but I wouldn't recommend it for a spa-type break.
We each had the tasting menu which was absolutely first class- though the restaurant itself was the least interesting of the public rooms
The service throughout our stay was excellent without being snobby or over done
All in all a brilliant place for an indulgent few days

1 Thank stevebrenman
Essex
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked the Bath Priory as a birthday surprise for my girlfriend's birthday.
Once booked I got an email from them asking if there were any room requirements or if the trip was a special occasion. I informed them it was a birthday trip and on arrival to the room there was a card and gift from the hotel which we both thought was a lovely treat.

The staff are all extremely friendly and nothing is too much bother for them.

The hotel it's self is lovely, very homely and welcoming and the gardens are simply beautiful.

The room had three things I was disappoint with but in no way spoiled our stay.

1. No air conditioning, just a large floor standing fan.

2. If you needed a plug socket you had to climb over the back of the sofa or scrabble under the TV. We were going to use the sockets next to the bed where the lamps are plugged in but these were not standard sockets so couldn't be used.

3. No fridge in the room.

For a 5 star hotel I would have expected 2 & 3 to have been provided, the air-con you can understand being an old building, installing would be a nightmare if at all possible?

But I do need to stress these points did not detract from our stay at all, it was just a surprise for such a good hotel to have these flaws.

We ate in the hotel restaurant and had the ten course surprise menu. Stunning is the only word to describe the culinary delights that were brought out. A real treat that will be in our memories for a very long time!

In short, we loved this hotel and will be back some day to relax and enjoy it again.

2 Thank Nick H
Kettering
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked a stay at this hotel pretty much as a last minute decision. Admittedly this is a five star hotel and has a restaurant with a Michelin star chef, so my expectations were already high. Good service is not always guaranteed by having prestigious labels and exceeding expectations is never easy, but this hotel managed to exceed my expectations on almost every occasion.
Booking in I was sent a form, purely option of course but asked the sort of simple questions that would make the stay better. Arriving at the hotel we were greeted and recognised by name immediately, I guess it was from the car registration. We had had an arduous journey to Bath and upon arrival were ready for a cup of tea, this must have been obvious to the staff and we were told not to bother with registration they would look after that and instead we were served a delicious afternoon tea in the gardens.
The hotel was excellent as you would expect for a 5 star establishment. The room we had overlooked the grounds and had everything you could possible want in a room size that was excellent.
The most impressive part of the visit was the dinner on Saturday evening. We opted for the surprise menu. Ten courses all of which as chosen by the chef and came with a glass of wine to compliment the food. Now 10 courses takes some time to get through, but we were never rushed and no matter who you asked all the staff knew the details behind the dish we were eating.
As you will see from my other reviews I have stayed in a range of different hotels over the years. I am a firm believer in good customer service and in exceeding my expectations. I may have different levels of expectations when staying in a Premier Inn to staying at the Bath Priory but good service is about exceeding those expectations and this hotel certainly did that and that was down to the staff knowing and acting for their guests needs. I will go back to this hotel anytime. It is excellent

Room Tip: Try the surprise menu. It not something you do every day and the food is absolutely fantastic
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank King_Kanute
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The service and surroundings here are second to none .The clean crisp atmosphere and beautiful food here are the perfect combination for a very special weekend away
I would suggest that you stick to the tasting menu and give the place the opportunity to present to you what the kitchen can do as the taste and design on the plate are equally thrilling

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bathpriory, General Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear mary T,

Wow nice review, I agree our tasting menu is definitley worth experiencing (but i think we could be baised!!), thank you for your kind words.

We look forward to seeing you again soon
regards