“Wonderful few days - the number 1 hotel in Bath!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Bham
“Wonderful few days - the number 1 hotel in Bath!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

We stayed at the Bath Priory for our engagement in September this year. It was a truly wonderful few days.

The hotel is full of character and sucessfully combines classic architecture and decor with modern luxury. The gardens are stunning and very well maintained and the new spa and health club, which opened during the first week of our stay, was well equipped, stylishly finished and offered a wide range of relaxing treatments.

We understand that no room in the hotel is the same, which adds to the hotels character and individuality. Our room was beautifully decorated in a colonial style and overlooked the gardens. The room itself was very spacious and had a role top bath in the corner. The bathroom was also a good size and was always well stocked with a range of Molton Brown toiletries. Both the room and bathroom were spotless.

The service was impeccable. The staff were very polite, friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. On the night of our engagement we returned to our room to be greeted by a bottle of champagne and rose petals strewn across our room. Naturally, my fiance was very impressed - if only I had thought it myself

The hotel is located about 20 minutes from the centre of Bath. The walk to town, through the splendid Victoria Park, takes you past a number of famous sites including the Royal Crescent.

The Michelin star is also well earned. We had one evening meal at the restaurant which was amazing! The breakfasts were also excellent - good quality ingredients and great service!

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Our room was

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SumacBham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

To be fair my boyfriend and I came here for one reason and one reason alone - to try out the food in the Michelin Star restaurant. Having experienced Michael Caines hospitality at Gidleigh Park and been suitably impressed we were keen to see what his latest aquisition had to offer. For this reason I write the review in two parts, the hotel side is covered here and the food side i write seperately under the restaurant section.
The hotel is situated a good twenty five minute walk from the centre of Bath and despite what the website states about having plenty of parking, when we arrived late Saturday afternoon we had great difficulty in getting a space in the small hotel car park. However the building itself is full of character and very pretty so you tend to forgive it these few minor issues. We checked in and were shown to our room - Bluebell. Alledgedly this is one of their most romantic rooms. Maybe it was romantic back in the 80's which was when I'm guessing it was last decorated but one swift look at the bathroom told me that there was no way on gods earth that I would be spending the night there. Dingy, cramped and dirty, it resembled something out of the origional Crossroads Motel, not a five star hotel and it was certainly a far cry from Michael Caines wonderfully modern and stylish Gidleigh Park - not what one would expect for the money. A trip to reception and a few stern words later led us to the superior Jasmine room, although we were expected to pay for this privelege and drag our luggage across the hotel by ourselves.
Thankfully Jasmine room was worth the hassle, a nice size, views overlooking the gardens, beautifully decorated with king sized bed and seating area plus most importantly a modern bathroom with a super deep bath (bliss). The only downside was that it was the middle of the summer and the hotel had no air conditioning. Also because the bathroom was directly above the kitchen all you could hear were the staff gossiping on their fag breaks, which could be entertaining, but not at seven in the morning!
However, all these minor issues seemed to pale into insignificance in the grand scheme of things, we came here for a fine dining experience and the restaurant didn't leave us disappointed. Michael Caines may have only just taken over but he has certainly already started to leave his mark.
In short our one night away with dinner came to around £400.00; in the Bluebell room, I would have been bitterly disappointed but in Jasmine I thought this was jolly good value for money. If you are a foodie,this place is not to be missed. If you are just looking for a place to stay, there are possibly better places in Bath.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lulublue32
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

I'll try to keep this short and sweet... :)
Traditional aspects of the place have been kept and maintained well, with a drawing room, small 'library', and encouragement to play Backgammon or have tea and biscuits...but with Molton Brown toiletries, and a breath-taking, modern choice of food designed by Michelin-starred Michael Caines, served in a white tablecloth'd restaurant, I'd say it's a blend of 'modern' and 'traditional'...and this blend works... :)

Sadly, not in the town, but a 20 minute walk will get you there...so not the end of the world.

From the point I got out of my car, I was;
*Greeted with a smile and the offer of a porter helping with your luggage...
*Shown to a room to be proud of...
*Given a welcome letter (addressed to you) and a stamped postcard in case you want to make someone jealous or say "wish you were here!"...
*Called and offered a turndown service...

If the weather had been better then my family and I would've sat out on the terrace, for sure. I hope to go again, and sit out in the sunshine next time. I guess the weather was a little drawback, as it would've been nice to walk around the gorgeous gardens and maybe even platy croquet!

We sat in the drawing room and had tea, while we chatted and caught up. Other people were there too, so there was a gentle buzz in the room. The family relaxed until we met for champagne and aperitifs in the library, about 30 minutes before dinner, where (seeing as we were a group of 6) we were given a table in semi-separate section of the restaurant. It was very busy, but there was no uncomfortable waiting for food, and we were constantly (but not annoyingly) checked on, and kept topped up with wine!
At times it was a little tricky to understand some of the staff, as they were almost all foreign, but they made jokes with us, and went around telling us all what we were about to enjoy...so it was a lovely, relaxed, friendly atmosphere the whole time.
Coffee and petit-fours followed, back in the library... - the whole day/evening was cozy, comfy, and just plain lovely! :)

Having to rush back, I didn't have the chance to use the gym, sauna, spa etc...but I had a massage last time I went, which left me feeling amaaaaazing.
It's not cheap...but they do often have special late booking deals, and 3 nights for the price of 3 - I would recommend this place, without hesitation. Worth every penny... :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank SMiles87
Herefordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

We have just arrived home after two heavenly nights at the Bath Priory Hotel. We really couldn't rate it highly enough. Ok, so its 25 mins walk to the town centre -but it's a very pretty walk through a park, past the Royal Crescent - even in the pouring rain. From the minute we arrived, we were looked after impeccably by every single member of staff. The room was comfy, not enormous and the bathroom was pretty small, but everything worked, was clean and had lots of lovely little extras.

But what really made it was the service and the unbelievable food. We had the tasting menu on the first night, and chose to have the sommelier recommend different wines for each course, which was just incredible, and really made the evening special. All the waiters and waitresses are foreign, and nothing was too much trouble, they looked after us so well, and were all absolutely charming.

Breakfast was fantastic too - such a lovely room overlooking the gardens - must be amazing in summer. The second evening we had the Residents menu - with the absolute star of the whole stay, an unbelievable seafood risotto with scallops - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

All in all, I can't rate this place highly enough, and we certainly intend to go back again soon.

1 Thank Evans21
Newbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

My wife and I stayed at this lovely hotel for our wedding anniversary at the beginning of November for two nights.
The check-in was extremely efficient and I ensured we had a reservation in the restaurant for the evening - which we had. By the time we had been shown around the hotel and to our room (Lavender), our cases were already in the room - Again, impressive. The room, which is on the ground floor, is large, with a comfortable sitting area, flat screen TV, and queen-size bed. The bathroom has a roll-top bath and a double-size shower (complete with leaking shower which was reported but not repaired whilst we were there, but it was the end of the week). The room was very private a had a "limited" view of the garden. There have been comments made about a school being nearby and the noise - Yes it's there, yes you hear children playing, annoying - no, ruin the experience - no! Pre dinner drinks served in a "rustic" reception room, with "antique furniture/pictures etc. There is no bar at the hotel, which makes a nice change and to have the "personal" service is much better, and very relaxed. Evening meal - What do you say! ... Like everyone else who has commented on the food you can't fault it and anyone who does is being very harsh. Large tables, lavish surroundings and very attentive service. Following morning, breakfast served in the room - Perfection! The next morning, after another breakfast in the room (not as good as the day before, but still ot bad!), we wandered into Bath. As has been commented before, it takes about 20/25 minutes to walk - which helps walk off some of the food from the night before! After a bit of retail theropy, returned to the hotel at about 2pm and asked for a table for dinner, but was disappointed to be told the only available tables were available at either 6pm or 9pm. I would have thought the hotel might like to ask their residents if they want a table before taking the "prime slots" for presumably "outside bookings", but also in their defense they can't turn bookings away, and I guess I should have asked for a table when I booked the room, or immediately after breakfast (lesson learned!). Therefore, rather than enjoying our anniversary meal in the hotels restaurant, as planned, we booked to eat at the Queensbury Hotel instead. Again, excellent food and the head waitor was excellent.
The Spa was only opened a couple of months ago and so looks as it should - spick and span. There's a smallish pool, steam room and sauna in the main part of the building. However, if you want to go to the gym, or the treatment rooms, you have to walk out of the hotel, up some steps, over a gravelled path etc, to get to them - If it's raining or it's cold not too nice, but I understand it might be covered-in in the future, but wasn't done so when the spa was being developed due to the cost. My wife had several treatments and said they were all really good, and the staff were really professional and friendly.
In summary, a great "experience" which has to be recommended. If you want to be pampered, hang the expense and go for it! After all, you only get what you pay for these days, and I reckon it's worth it, if nothing else for the food!

1 Thank Berkshiretravellers
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

I have to say the service was impeccable and the hotel simply beautiful. We had dinner on the Sunday evening and it was worth every penny, fantastic! I would go again in a heartbeat! A big thank you goes out to the hard working staff, you made our stay very special.

Woodford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

We stayed 2 nights and had a family lunch for a special birthday.The hotel has a country house feel with charming rooms and lovely gardens.
Service was outstanding and lunch in a private room was superb.
All the arrangements and requests were dealt with efficiently and without fuss.
We wholeheartedly recommend for a special occasion or just a break.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family