“Peaceful break - but shame about the pool area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“Peaceful break - but shame about the pool area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a relaxing weekend. We booked one of the bedrooms looking over the gardens. It was lovely, really peaceful, and the gardens are stunning. My only criticism was that the room and bathroom were a little on the small side, but apart from that you couldn't fault it.

We booked into the Garden spa for a massage and it was amazing - we both really enjoyed it. When I came out of my massage I decided to go and sit by the pool to chill out a bit. Unfortunately the pool area was dominated by a family with 2 young boys who were screaming at the top of their voices. After about 10 minutes I gave up and went back to my room.

What a shame...

Despite the hotel literature on the spa being a place of tranquility, this was not my experience. The pool area is actually quite small. I don't think young children should be allowed in this area...

It has certainly made me re-think when booking spa breaks - I'll be checking whether children are allowed to use the facilities.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Manager68, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Bath Priory. Although I am really pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit with us, I am of course so sorry that your time in the spa was not a relaxing and tranquil one.

From your comments and with immediate effect we have scheduled set times when children can use our indoor pool area, leaving quiet times for the remainder of our guests. We hope that all the positive points of The Bath Priory might tempt you to return one day. If you do please contact me directly so I may attend to the details of your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

We stumbled upon this hotel via the Good Food Guide and went to the fabulous restaurant for dinner one night whilst staying elsewhere in the area. As soon as we saw the hotel and finished our meal we knew we had to check out of the place we were in (which had been absolutely terrible) and book a room here.

We were delighted in being offered a Deluxe room named Bluebell which was beautifully decorated in blue toile de jouey.

The hotel also has a stunning spa and gym. I only used the spa area and was very impressed with it. It overlooked the stunning gardens.

The terrace leading off the drawing room was simply delightful and a wonderful quiet place to relax. It overlooked a croquet lawn and the garden was planted in typically English Country garden style.

The staff were discreet and courteous.

The food was absolutely fabulous and totally merits it's awards.

We would definitely stay here again. And to top it off you can take your dog too if you have one!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Valuable40
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

A wonderful hotel with impecable service within walking distance of the city centre. Quietly efficient and friendly staff. Beautiful grounds and spotlessly clean well appointed accommodation. Luxurious and intimate. A real gem.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavidB30
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

After having a baby last summer, my husband and I chose The Bath Priory for a mid-week break as our first getaway sans bebe. I had read all the Tripadvisor reviews beforehand to avoid disappointment as these opportunities do not come often for us. Because I really needed a quiet, relaxing, nurturing break, we chose The Priory as it is just outside the city centre. Our stay exceeded our expectations.

When I made our reservation, we were upgraded to a Superior room as Classic rooms were not available. Upon arrival, we found there was a temporary fault with the bathroom in the room we had reserved, so we were able to stay in one of the larger rooms that overlooked the lovely gardens (Daffodil). On the top floor, it was so quiet and peaceful that I had the best sleep I had had in months. We also elected to have our breakfast in our room every morning without extra charge. I didn't know eggs could be so delicious! I would also say that the hot chocolate was the best I've had in a while. It goes without saying that reserving a room with a garden view is a must if you want to get the full benefit of staying at The Priory.

The spa was also a world above the Thermae Bath Spa. I did not even bother getting a treatment at the latter as the service at The Priory's Spa was impeccable (and I am always searching for the best massages around the world). "The Dreaming" combination of a luxurious salt and mud body treatment, scalp and hair massage, body massage, facial, and hand and foot pamper (3 hrs in total!) was well worth the money. The therapist was so soothing and helped me feel like my old (pre-baby) self again. (My husband said that his full body massage was the best he can remember ever having and was so relaxing that he fell asleep.) While the steam rooms at the Thermae Bath Spa were nice, the pool and steam room at The Priory were much more peaceful and relaxing, esp. since it's located right in the hotel. You are free to go down from your room in the bathrobe and slippers that they provide in your room, which makes it all the more relaxing.

We dined in Michael Caines's Michelin-starred restaurant twice, choosing the 2 tasting menus. The service was incredible, the food and wine decadent. You must book in advance though. If you stay at the hotel but dine elsewhere, you are really missing out.

Our stay was indulgent and expensive (the reason I couldn't rate it high on "value" although you certainly get what you pay for), but well worth it. I am already missing it! If you wish to achieve the most peace and quiet, however, I would recommend going during the week, if possible, since I could tell that the hotel was getting busy as we approached the weekend. Again, it is well worth booking a room that overlooks the garden (but is not above the kitchen) and getting a spa treatment while you're there. I can't wait to go back!

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

Taken here by my company as part of a reward package. Beautiful room/suite overlooking the garden with sitting area and and a lovely old roll top bath in the bedroom in addition to a large shower in the contemporary bathroom.
We had a set dinner as we were a large group - food was wonderful but we only had 2 choices of each course which was very limited for the vegetarians and myself who is allergic to shell fish. Didn't use the Spa but it looked very nice.
My only gripe was that we asked room service for some ice which didn't arrive until we made the second call and the same thing happened later when we requested an extention lead for a piece of medical equipment. Apparently they didn't know which room had requested it, so had to wait until I called again in general the service was excellent. These were minor irritations and did not detract from the general enjoyment. Luckily we didn't have to pick up the bill which would have been substantial.
The hotel is a fair walk from the centre of Bath and with steep inclines on the way back. You need to be fit. Parking is quite limited and most people double park. Its a good idea to leave your keys with reception who will move your car if necessary, otherwise you might find yourself with an unexpected early alarm call.

• Stayed February 2010
DECOSTY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

Room was very hot. That's without the heating on! The shower was also a bit unpredictable running hot and cold. No tea and coffee facilities in the room which was also a bit odd - don't always want to have to phone room service for a cuppa

That aside the location was excellent for the city centre and the food was very good.

Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

We returned to the Bath Priory after snow in January had delayed our planned visit, for a birthday celebration coinciding with St Valentine's weekend. The hotel did not disappoint. It is the attention to detail that we notice and once again, this was spot on. We had originally booked a Romance Break and to this was added a gastronomic dinner for St Valentine's Day. Our room (Apple Blossom) was too hot when we arrived; by the next morning we had turned off both radiators and opened the window wide, but this was easy to deal with ourselves. Everything else, the rose petals, the flowers, the proferred champagne, was laid out in advance and delighted us. The sheer number and attentiveness of the staff can be overwhelming but they deliver an experience rarely seen in other hotels, and we think they are conscious that this is what differentiates them from some of the competition. The problem then becomes how to keep the experience for the clients fresh and exciting. We love the public rooms; the standard of artwork on the walls alone makes them very special. The large lounge was a bit stuffy when we took tea there, so much so that we opened a window to the garden in order to breath. The smokiness of the open fire, in itself delightful, nevertheless needs to be vented effectively and not into the room.
We enjoyed the gastronomic Valentine's dinner. The space between tables, the pace of serving and the attentiveness of the staff all helped to make it a special occasion. We asked for our cheese course before dessert. This is how we like it and how the French traditionally eat - it is a little surprising that a Michelin starred restaurant keeps to dessert then cheese. The cheese course turned out to be a little disappointing - not in quantity but in variety and dryness. Everything else, including the chateuaubriand done to suit each of us, and the amuse-bouches, all washed down with a nice bottle of Rioja, pleased us without over filling our stomachs.
So, in summary, the hotel continues to delight. There should be something for everyone. A winter visit like this precludes dining in the garden on the terrace. We chose not to use the spa, preferring to explore Bath some more. The accompanied children we encountered in the hotel were well-behaved and nice to have around - a credit to their parents, and helping to make the hotel more relaxed and informal.