“First-class in all respects!”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Shropshire, England.
“First-class in all respects!”
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Last February, my wife and I made a last-minute decision to book a room at the Priory Hotel in Bath. I had always heard good reports about this hotel so we decided to try it for ourselves. We booked a 'Romantic' package as a special treat and we got the last available room for the weekend, which wasn't an attic room or one situated next to the extractor fans from the kitchens, but a smallish, really beautifully decorated and maintained room at the front of the Hotel.

Running a Hotel must be difficult enough, but trying to maintain one with very high standards must be even harder, and the Priory did this with consumate ease. The room was lovely, the gardens were beautifully maintained and had glorious views over part of the city, the Staff were fantastic and the food was absolutely superb. The general atmosphere was lovely & relaxing and we had a wonderful stay.

Don't let comments about it's location put you off. If you are an average walker you can have the most glorious stroll into the city centre past (or through) Victoria Park, the Royal Crescent and the Circus, in a comfortable 20 minutes or thereabouts, and if it rains you can either take an umbrella or order a taxi!

Yes, this Hotel is expensive, but it really is first-class and we would genuinely recommend it to anyone. Save up, treat yourselves, and I hope that you have as lovely a time as we did. I don't know when, but we're definitely going to go back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank Mr.Mole.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I stayed here with my brother (two rooms, two nights). Staff was very friendly and extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area and could recommend things to do/see and were great about booking taxis or providing us tea/drinks in one of the three large and comfortable sitting rooms. Breakfast was of high quality, and the service was again friendly and prompt. We did not get a chance to swim in the pool as we neglected to bring our bathing suits but it looked very nice. Be sure to check out the Sequoia in the back yard!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Nr London
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My wife and I arrived at the Bath Priory having failed to reach Madeira and Madrid due to the ash cloud. Google had certainly not let us down!

We were not in the most expensive room but the bed, decor and bathroom were all delightful. We had chosen this venue because it was clearly luxurious and because it possessed a spa facility. On arrival it appeared that space for treatments may be tight as we had arrived at late notice (the trick must be to book your favourite treatment early) but the staff were incredibly helpful and found us some slots.

So - after three days there, extended by one as we were enjoying it so much, we can say that:
- the food is excellent and the sommelier does a great job aligning wine to food
- the hotel manager, Ms Sue Williams, is charmimg and helpful
- and the spa (we had 4 treatments) does provide the relaxation and pleasure one would want (Camilla being particularly imprssive)
- the recommendations for restaurants and sights are to be trusted

If we could change anything it would be the reception area which is a lttle haphazard and the German receptionist asking a girl out on the phone could be a little more avaiable to guests but these are minor things.

Overall this is a great experience which allowed us to relax in a delightful environment with lovely staff.

We left feeling cosseted and relaxed - exactly what we wanted.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank antandmal
London
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The Bath Priory offered us a very warm welcome to start off a family celebration weekend. My room was spacious and comfortable with tall arched windows overlooking the garden. It as well equipped with water, fluffy towels, dressing gowns and slippers and lots of lotions. The en suite was amazing with a heated towl rail AND a heated floor. Breakfast was all you would expect with excellent service. Dinner was The Total Experience - Pretty pricey but we knew that when we booked. With an easy downhll stroll into town (8 minutes) it is well located but, if you are tired out after visiting the shops and sites, take a cab back! (About £5)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank stueyLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a relaxing weekend. We booked one of the bedrooms looking over the gardens. It was lovely, really peaceful, and the gardens are stunning. My only criticism was that the room and bathroom were a little on the small side, but apart from that you couldn't fault it.

We booked into the Garden spa for a massage and it was amazing - we both really enjoyed it. When I came out of my massage I decided to go and sit by the pool to chill out a bit. Unfortunately the pool area was dominated by a family with 2 young boys who were screaming at the top of their voices. After about 10 minutes I gave up and went back to my room.

What a shame...

Despite the hotel literature on the spa being a place of tranquility, this was not my experience. The pool area is actually quite small. I don't think young children should be allowed in this area...

It has certainly made me re-think when booking spa breaks - I'll be checking whether children are allowed to use the facilities.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Manager68, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Bath Priory. Although I am really pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit with us, I am of course so sorry that your time in the spa was not a relaxing and tranquil one.

From your comments and with immediate effect we have scheduled set times when children can use our indoor pool area, leaving quiet times for the remainder of our guests. We hope that all the positive points of The Bath Priory might tempt you to return one day. If you do please contact me directly so I may attend to the details of your stay.
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We stumbled upon this hotel via the Good Food Guide and went to the fabulous restaurant for dinner one night whilst staying elsewhere in the area. As soon as we saw the hotel and finished our meal we knew we had to check out of the place we were in (which had been absolutely terrible) and book a room here.

We were delighted in being offered a Deluxe room named Bluebell which was beautifully decorated in blue toile de jouey.

The hotel also has a stunning spa and gym. I only used the spa area and was very impressed with it. It overlooked the stunning gardens.

The terrace leading off the drawing room was simply delightful and a wonderful quiet place to relax. It overlooked a croquet lawn and the garden was planted in typically English Country garden style.

The staff were discreet and courteous.

The food was absolutely fabulous and totally merits it's awards.

We would definitely stay here again. And to top it off you can take your dog too if you have one!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Valuable40
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2010

A wonderful hotel with impecable service within walking distance of the city centre. Quietly efficient and friendly staff. Beautiful grounds and spotlessly clean well appointed accommodation. Luxurious and intimate. A real gem.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple