“Location great, efficient but friendly staff, food very good indeed”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 18 March 2011

We travelled to Bath by train, staying Friday to Monday taking advantage of a half-price room rate for Sundays, and the hotel is in an excellent location for Bath Spa Station. We were celebrating my husband's birthday by visiting the city and going to the Theatre so we booked a superior room. The first room we were allocated did not, so far as we are concerned, live up to its ranking but we were immediately offered an alternative.

The meals were of very good quality and quantity, served by very pleasant staff. As I am diabetic we eat breakfast early, so had no problem with the service at that time and the breakfast choices were excellent.

Whilst there was a problem with our room and bathroom heating system one night, which was not fully explained, a convector heater was brought to our room by the second receptionist whom we advised of the problem and all was in working order the next day. In particular the Housekeeper was very efficient and concerned to ensure that our stay was comfortable.

One downside was that we were aware during the night of a humming noise from hotel equipment, hence our lower rating for sleep quality.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Excellent hotel, located near railway station and all things good in Bath. The rooms were clean, the food was well prepared, well served and plenty of choice. The staff were all helpful a most enjoyable stay for my wife myself and four friends

Reviewed 28 February 2011

We paid for a 4 poster room, and it was certainly worth it. Big and airy, with all the character you would expect from a hotel in the centre of Bath.
There was noise from the street below in the evenings, but that is to be expected with a hotel situation in the centre of a city.

There was no car parking, so we left the car at the railway car park which was almost opposite. But having looked at other hotels, it seems parking is a problem for most places to stay in the area.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Only negative comment was that we booked a spa break, and getting into the spa was a nightmare. It was very busy, so would recommend you go first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2011

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival. The bar and restaurant were nicely furnished. Everywhere was very clean and rooms had obviously been recently refurbished. We got a fab deal on Travel Zoo for Dinner B&B for £49 per person, so made the trip very good value for money. The dinner was a 3 course waiter served meal and the breakfast was taken by order and cooked well. The restaurant staff were a little under pressure on the Monday morning when everyone decended for breakfast at 9am! But they coped and apologised. The hotel is well located for the shops and attractions. Recommend 'The Mayor's' free quided walks from Pump room 10am and 2pm!

Reviewed 25 February 2011

Having read the recent reviews I would almost think that there were two Royal Hotels in the same location in Bath! The positives (for us) friendly helpful restaurant staff (but there should have been more of them at breakfast as the two ladies on duty were run off their feet although they kept smiling and apologising for delays); good food; great location; excellent selection of beverages and biscuits in the bedrooms.

The negatives: the very unfriendly older receptionist who was quite off-hand when we arrived and each time we spoke to her thereafter - reception is the face of the hotel and even if staff are having a bad day, they should be pleasant to their guests! There was a thick layer of dust in the bedroom on bedframe, radio, t.v. and a dead wasp on the window which had clearly been there a while! The towel rail in the bathroom was stone cold at the top and boiling hot at the bottom and obviously needed the air bleeding from it. A halo of light shone all night around the bedroom door where it didn't fit the doorframe meaning difficulty in sleeping and the conveniences on the ground floor were in need of a good clean!

Overall conclusion: the owners have worked hard to upgrade the hotel to a generally good standard. It could be a great hotel if they could sort out the apparent understaffing in the restaurant , improve the standard of cleaning and sort out the maintenance issues.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank bouncydog
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the Royal and for your helpful comments.
It is totally unacceptable for a member of staff to be rude or off-hand no matter what.
I know who was on duty and she will receive a written warning.
Bedrooms are checked by my housekeeper and the duty manager daily and I have no
explanation as to why your findings were not dealt with and for that I sincerely apologise.
The cloakrooms on the ground floor are constantly monitored.
All food is grilled to order and unfortunately a slight delay will occur if everyone decides to have
breakfast together and i am delighted to read that the waiting staff were polite and apologetic.
All bedroom doors are now being checked for light seepage

Reviewed 23 February 2011

I have just returned from an overnight stay booked through Travelzoo and have to say I was most impressed. Good size room, very clean, bedside radio included I pod station which I wasn’t expecting. Food and service was excellent, couldn’t fault it. Location fantastic, within walking distance of Therma Spa, Pump Room and The Royal Crescent. Would thoroughly recommend……….

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2011

I have just spent a a 3 night break with 2 friends booked through Travelzoo. For the price we were paying I went with no great expectation as I remembered the hotel looking rather run-down and in a not particularly pleasant part of town. What a surprise! Although the building is not very exciting from the outside it could not be more conveniently situated. The railway station is directly opposite with the new bus station just a little further along the same road. A car can be a liability in the centre of Bath so this proximity to public transport is a real plus. The ugly 50s and 60s buildings I remembered had been demolished and a new sympathetically designed shopping area was in its place giving easy access to the other side of town. The parade where the tour buses stand is just up the road and the Abbey, Pump Room and Roman Baths are only minutes away.
The public areas of the hotel were quite compact with a public bar to the left of the main door and a very small Reception desk and lift down a narrow corridor. However we were given a very warm welcome and our room on the second floor was spacious and had everything we needed. The quality of the furnishings was good with very comfortable beds and pillows and large fluffy towels which were changed daily. The hospitality tray was generously stocked and replenished and the room was cleaned to a very good standard. There was secondary double glazing to the window but our room overlooked the road so I would imagine it could be noisy if you had the windows open.
We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal which represented excellent value for money. The food was very good with generous portions. I enjoyed one of the best- cooked steaks I have had in a long time. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the breakfast service was excellent though the evening service was a bit hit and miss especially on the first night. The small bar did a good all day trade and was particularly busy in the early evening but did not seem too noisy. The bar food served there looked good though I never tried it myself.
The hotel is old so the floorboards are a bit creaky and I imagine that not all the rooms are uniform in size but for a short break with easy access to the main sights of Bath I could not fault it.