“Excellent location”

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Bath
birmingham
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

This hotel is right beside the rail station and within easy walking distance of most of the main tourist attractions.

Our room had tea and coffee making facilities with ample supplies of both. There was a cafetiere with a tin of ground coffee and also four biscuits and some bottled water.

There were road works going on the night I was there so that would have disturbed some people but there is not much the hotel can do about that.

There is a pleasant bar where we had a drink in the evening. I didn't have dinner there but I did have breakfast the next morning. There were only two staff on in the dining room and the head waitress was fighting a losing battle but she kept smiling and never got ratty. I don't know what was happeneing in the kitchen or with the other waitress but it was chaotic. We reminded them when our toast hadn't arrived, but it still didn't come. We reminded them again and we were given more hot water. By now we were laughing and our fellow guests at the nearby table were also laughing as it was like a farce.

Despite our breakfast glitch I still enjoyed our stay as the rest of the staff made up for it.

Being so near the thermae Spa allowed us to visit early in the day before the crowds arrrived which was a definite plus

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
recp, Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
My sincere apologies for the poor breakfast service. Unfortunately the rotary toaster suddenly
stopped operating, hence the reason for one of the waiting staff remaining in the kitchen as
she was having to toast the bread under the grill.
The problem was slightly compounded by the fact that most of the guests decided to have
breakfast at the same time. I am happy to report that the toaster has been replaced and therefore the problem should not arise again.
Once again my apologies and thank you for your other lovely positive comments.

Mike MacDermid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Well located to explore the nooks and crannies of Bath. Right next to the Rail and Bus stations if you are using public transport, so it doesn't get any handier than that. Rooms, of a classic design, comfortable, clean and most are spacious with tea and coffee making facilities.

An extra nice touch (for our American friends I am sure) is the cafetiere and fresh coffee which comes as standard in the rooms.

The food is very good and steaks are definately to be considered. I haven't tried the vegetarian options, but if they are as good as the meat ones, then you will not be disappointed. Breakfast is worth getting up for, with plenty to choose from.

On the flip side, rooms at the front can be noisy, so ask for one in the middle or back, and try to avoid 106 (cosy).

If you fancy extreme ironing, try using the ironing board supplied in the room. However, if you are bored, you can kill an hour or two trying to iron a shirt (or dress depending on your gender of course..).

Parking at the hotel is limited, but there is more parking than you can shake a stick at in the vicinity - if the traffic allows you to get there.

Finally, good value for money and the staff really do make you feel welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
roo09
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel with a group of holidaymakers. I have to say that everyone, without exception praised the hotel! this is quite unusual, as in a group, there is usually someone who complains about some aspect of the hotel.

The food was extremely good, and the two vegetarians in our group said that the restaurant had gone out of their way to give them tasty enjoyable meals. They commented that vegetarian food in many hotels was bland and uninventive.

The staff were both professional and friendly throughout our stay and the rooms were extremely comfortable. The beds were perfect and had none of those springs that most hotels put just where your hip is going to be. All of the rooms we were allocated were spotlessy clean and well serviced.

I would, without doubt recommend this hotel, and would stay there again at any time without hesitation.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We recently stayed in Bath to celebrate our anniversary and a birthday, so we chose what we thought would be a good hotel based on previous reviews. The location is excellent, being right opposite the station, and a few minutes' walk from Bath's most famous attractions.
Despite asking several weeks in advance for an early check in, to freshen up after travel before exploring the town, we were told this was not possible on arrival. Returning later at the appointed time, staff were still unwilling to allow us to check in although relented after another member confirmed the rooms had been cleaned.
As we've had problems with noise in other hotels, I specifically asked for a quiet room only to be allocated one above a bar and next to the very noisy lift mechanism. Asking to be relocated seemed futile after overhearing staff laugh about other guests requesting to move rooms and being refused. The room itself was a good size, clean and pleasantly decorated although the bed was placed under the windows and half-height curtains meaning the sleepers' heads were flooded with light at daybreak. In the end, I only managed to sleep on the second night with the aid of earplugs and an eye mask!
For my birthday, my husband asked if breakfast could be served in the room - we were told we could phone down in the morning and it might be possible but "we're very busy tomorrow". Very busy with what, paying guests? Sorry, I thought we we were some of them too! After a sleepless night, due to the noise and useless curtains, we got up and went out early so luckily the staff didn't have to deal with another inconvenience.
I wouldn't stay here again and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to my friends. Apart from the room issues, I felt the staff couldn't really be bothered and would be much happier left alone to chat and gossip about their customers.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
This booking came to us via an external hotel booking agency and although they requested a quiet room we have no record of a request for an early check in, which, even if requested, would have been difficult to provide given that the guests were arriving on a Sunday and the hotel was full on the Saturday night with departing guests being allowed to use the rooms until 12 noon and obviously rooms would then need to be thoroughly cleaned for new guests.

Our staff were not “unwilling” to allow these guest to check in early and, as I have said, this could not been done until the room had been cleaned.

Given that the guests had requested a quiet superior room, we allocated a room on the third (and top) floor of the hotel so it would minimise noise coming from ground level. The bar that is referred to is on the ground level and is a very small bar which closes at 11 p.m. and we are, therefore, at a loss to understand why she would have been disturbed by noise from this area.

The lift machinery is, of course, on the top floor, however, we have never received any complaints from other guests about noise emanating from the lift equipment and indeed one of our directors chooses to stay in this room when he visits us on a weekly basis.

The windows in this bedroom are totally covered by the curtains which can be fully drawn.

The member of my management team who dealt with the request by the guest for breakfast to be served in the room advised her that although we could not guarantee a precise time when breakfast would be served, there was no refusal to serve breakfast in the room.

I was particularly saddened to read the comments that our staff “could not be bothered” as we receive many, many compliments about the quality of our staff and in particular about their friendliness and willingness to ensure that customers all have an enjoyable stay with us, as evidenced by other reviews on your website.
Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I have stopped at this hotel many times in the past for a drink on return home from Bath.
This time we were referred from the empty bar to the back room for drinks as we had our 5 year old daughter with us; the fact dictating whether we could stay in the nice quiet main bar seemed to be dependant on if we were hotel guests. We were then sent to a back room, filled with loud football playing on a TV, with no offer of waiter service and being treated like the unclean,
I asked for one of the advertised pastries for my daughter (advertised on a board on the exterior of hotel) and was told they had been there since 8am and should have been thrown away! (5 in the afternoon and still sat on the bar)
I asked the member of staff why we were unable to stay in the quiet empty bar and was told it wasthe law and he could get fined!, When my husband asked further, the member of staff was not sure which law.What a poor show from a hotel that had always been good in the past. Had a great lunch in the Garricks Head in Bath, they could not have been friendlier!!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
14 Thank ivorinusa
PatronHandR, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
I would like to offer my sincere apology for the way the explanation was handled.

I am at a loss as to why James, the barman, who has been with us for 9 years, did not explain properly the legal reasons for refusing to serve children in the 1846 bar. Our licence permits us to serve children with parents providing the parents are ordering food from the bar food menu. Obviously residents with children are automatically allowed to be in the bar. When guests arrive with children it should be explained politely that if they are not dining we direct them to an alternative lounge where they can enjoy their drinks. It should have been made clear that they could purchase their drinks from the bar but consume them in the alternative lounge area. It is obvious that other guests had been watching Sky Sports in the lounge area and clearly if the volume was intrusive, management should have ensured that if there was nobody watching it should have been turned off or the volume reduced, whichever would be more appropriate. We will always welcome families to The Royal and we cater for numerous families and once again I cannot apologise enough for the sloppy way the explanation was handled. A training session has taken place with all bar staff to ensure that they courteously inform guests with children of the alternative lounge area if they are not dining.

I sincerely hope that this does not deter the guests in question from returning to us.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Hotel on doorstep of train station, with an easy 5 minute stroll into shops and spa. However new shopping area is even closer with Debenhams just opposite, leading to many other retail shops. Pleasantly surprised considering it is rated as a 3 Star. Room very clean, with new bathroom suite all spotless. Good furnishings. Complimentary tea and coffee. Everything close by for example City Bus Tour. Breakfast was very good, with lots of choice and good service. We arrived early at midday, along with 2 other couples. The receptionist told us there was no where to leave our cases, which was a problem for us as we had a large case and did not fancy strolling around with it for 2hrs. Thankfully, he did change his mind and found us a space. Obviously due to the proximity of the road there was traffic noise, but it didn't bother us. Would definitely return.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2011

My wife and I and our son spent 2 days at the Royal in March 2011 to celebrate a family birthday.
We were warmly welcomed on arrival and our rooms were attractive,inviting and had every facility one could wish for. All the staff were invariably pleasant and took a pride in their job.
Breakfasts were fantastic, as was dinner one evening when the manager went out of his way to look after us.
Al this was just a 5 minute walk from the shops and all the sights.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011