Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times now. It is in a good location, near to the train station and a short walk from the Abbey. The staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable and the food is excellent.The hotel is warm in winter and not too noisy in spite of its location.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank beautifuljade
Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 5 October 2011

My son and I recently stayed in the above hotel. We had excellent rooms and brilliant service.
Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent, altogether an extremely great place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less air conditioning noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Eileen R
Reviewed 29 September 2011

No complaints about a hotel in a old building opposite the train station and close to many attractions. Old fashioned, with winding stairs, tiny lift, maze of old but comfortable rooms. Good shower, large beds. Was clean, friendly and offered good value at at £80 per night including a decent breakfast and free wifi. Bar was a bit lacklustre, but there are plenty of options for drinks and meals nearby. Overall recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Lovely clean rooms, Wifi, TV, big comfy bed, Lovely bathroom, restaurant food is of a high quality, service is very professional and well managed. Great location a short stroll to Roman Baths, and shops. Fantastic. Parking available too. Water, biscuits, chocolates, tea, coffee in rooms. High quality.

1  Thank Anne H
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I posted in February after our first visit. Have just stayed there again and I am pleased to see that some of our points have been addressed. Stayed this time with my OH and he mentioned the excellent interaction and professionalism of the restaurant staff, which exceed other places we have stayed at. Charlotte on reception deserves a special mention for ringing us when a cancellation meant we could spend a second night there - thank you Charlotte your thoughtfulness was very much appreciated.

First night was obviously a superior room booked at last minute for £120 B/B plus parking. It was truly lovely - well done the Royal. Second night we had to move - same price but room was definately inferior - and so was the dusting! Flush handle on the loo was faulty and the shower could not be turned down below a certain termperature which is quite dangerous - raised with Reception so hopefully they will fix. The staff at the Royal are working with an old building and the owners need to support them. However very pleased that this hotel actually take note of comments made by their clientele and action them. Definately will stay again - if they will have us!

Reviewed 25 September 2011

The Chef (John) is a phenomenon! How he doesn't have his own TV show or chain of top class restaurants is beyond me. Every dish is pure perfection. The lovely staff (who do the hard work dealing with the likes of me) are amazing. They are all beautiful. Thank you Sam, Maria and Emily. Accommodating, gorgeous, happy to assist and always smiling. 10/10 from me. Was only going to stay one night but ended up staying three, and they were the reason why. Thank you all so much for making my stay in Bath the highlight of my trip to the UK 

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Yaahmeeyeah
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I don't usually complain about hotels, and I think this is the first bad review I have ever left, however our experience was so appalling I felt obliged to others to put it in writing...

I stayed here with my partner for one night on a Saturday. We explained to the staff on arrival that he was attending a stag do and I was attending a wedding therefore we would be arriving back at the hotel at separate times. We were informed that each room has only one key and they could not provide a spare. We were then assured that there is a night porter on duty however who would be able to let my partner in if he got back later than I did. My partner arrived in the middle of the night to discover all doors and windows locked (which is pretty unacceptable on a 4* hotel anyhow, no night porter to be found, and after banging on the doors for around an hour resorted to phoning me in the room to come down and let him in. I discovered all lights were switched off in the downstairs of the hotel and definitely no night porter to be found - I'm not sure what would have happened had their been a fire or other incident!

Upon checking out of the hotel (which was very overpriced for the standard of room we received in the first place) we were told that we needed to pay the bill in full, even though we had paid this when checking in. We were forced to rummage through bags to find the receipts to prove we had already paid, when we finally found them we discovered that upon checking in we had been re-charged for the deposit we had already paid, as well as the room, and therefore they had to give us a refund. If they hadn't made the mistake of not noting that the bill was already paid we would never have discovered this.

The whole experience, including the service, style, decor and building felt very much like an episode of faulty towers!

24  Thank kreader
recp, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2011

Guest security is a priority to us. Hence the reason we have a Night Supervisor and the Duty
Manager stays overnight in case of an emergency.The night bell has been tested and it works
fine.There is no acceptable explanation why he did not hear the bell and he now no longer
works for us. My sincere apologies to the guests. This has never happened before in the 20
years we have been at the Royal.
When a guest makes a booking we take a deposit and on checkout the computer produces a
bill automatically deducting the deposit.
On this occasion when the guest checked in they asked to settle the bill straight away, hence
the confusion. There is no way the guest would have been overcharged because their account
would have shown an overpayment, which is then put back on to their card and a copy of the
bill is posted to their address. The receptionist knew from looking at the registration card that
the guest had paid and at no time did she ask the guest to produce evidence of payment