“Excellent”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We recently stayed on a travel zoo offer (very good value for money) and found that from the moment we booked with Emily to the moment we checked in and out, again with Emily, we felt very well looked after. All the staff went out of there way to make us feel welcome and were more than happy to accommodate any requests we had! The food and service in the restaurant was excellent and we felt the menu had plenty of choice.
The only downside was that it seemed like most people in the town including taxi drivers use this as a public toilet!
We would definitely stay again and would like to thank all the staff for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: some rooms only have shower or bath so make sure you ask for your preference.
1  Thank MissKatieB
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed 2 nights here on a promotional short break and enjoyed the experience. The hotel is very centrally situated, which is extremely convenient for sightseeing, shopping and public transport (opposite the station and close to the bus station). The slight downside is an inevitable amount of traffic and street noise, although the secondary glazing mutes this. If travelling by car, be sure to prebook one of the few (6) spaces available in the alley beside the hotel, otherwise parking will be a nightmare.
The rooms were comfortable and although not modern were very clean, well-maintained and well appointed.
Food was surprisingly good. Service is friendly if not always speedy and attentive. Curiously, breakfast is quick and efficient, yet dinner (same staff!) much slower - up to 30 mins wait between courses even when very quiet. The wine list is disappointing - the selection of red wines in particular is unimpressive and slightly odd. Tables are too small. With just a few improvements, dining could be really enjoyable.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We ran across the ad for the Royal Hotel in Bath 99 GBP special and jumped on it. To our surprise it was much better than what we expected. The evening meal of mussels was the best the wife and I had had in years and the Eggs Benedict for breakfast was spot on. The service was second to none and although the decor seemed a bit dated the rooms were spotless. We are looking forward to a return srip in the summer.

Room Tip: parking is limited so make sure you pre-book a spot.
1  Thank oweninthekeys
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We booked a mid week one night stay through travelzoo. A great deal for Dinner Bed and Breakfast for a double room, we wanted to take our little girl so enquired whether we could pay to upgrade to a family room. This was no problem so we booked.

My husband was working so travelled early down to Bristol and Bath in our family car, he paid extra £8 or so for parking at the hotel. I travelled down by train with our daughter so the location was fantastic right opposite the station. I was able to drop off some luggage prior to booking in and at that time was able to make our evening meal reservation. Courteous and efficient reception staff, great first impressions.

When we returned to check in later again swift service and we were very happy with our room, large and tastefully designed with great attention to detail - fresh coffee and even Shrewsbury biscuits made us feel right at home. It was our daughters first hotel stay so she was very excited about having her own big girl bed, sofa pull out was good size and comfortable for her. Great large TV with freeview so CBeebies wasn't missed and it had built in DVD so we could have taken some films for her.

The restaurant staff were all very friendly and attentive, engaging with our little one too so she was made to feel welcome - they even went and got her some colouring things so she was occupied between courses. The quality of the food was good, we really enjoyed our evening meal and also the breakfast. Good presentation and proper tea leaf tea.

All in all a very comfortable, enjoyable stay. Good food, great location as within easy walking distance of shopping and sites. The one negative which is true of other places I have stayed in Bath is the street noise is quite loud - even though there is double glazing the large sash windows do still carry sound quite alot. This is largely unavoidable so otherwise a faultless stay and we look forward to staying there again.

Thanks

Room Tip: We had room 108 which faced the junction, despite the noise I can recommend this room for the size e...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ShropshireKassandra
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We enjoyed a super stay at the Royal Hotel, Bath, on a Christmas Break from 23rd to 27th. December 2011. The hotel rooms (especially the bathrooms) were spotlessly clean, the food was superb and plenty of it, and the warm and friendly staff surpassed themselves.
From the moment we arrived until we checked out all the staff worked very hard to make our stay special, always smiling, and nothing was too much trouble.
The food was delicious and most importantly, the cooked meals that were supposed to be hot were hot. I have often dined in establishments that serve up lukewarm food, so to have delicious hot food was super.
The hotel went all out to make it really Christmassy and I was surprised and delighted to be given a nice Christmas gift into which I thought some consideration had been given. On top of that, chocolates had been put in my room and the “help yourself” table of fruit and nuts and chocolates etc. on each floor landing was a very nice touch. I have travelled quite widely and experienced many hotels, from hostels, up to 5 star establishements and I was very impressed with the whole experience at The Royal. I and my companions thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would highly recommend the Royal Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank spam972
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Its always difficult writing reviews on someone’s business but being a newish member of Trip advisor I feel that I have had to take a deep breathe and speak with honesty and sincerity about my stay at the Royal Hotel in Bath. As my headline states I am a little confused about where you gave positioned yourself in the market. Are you a traditional traveller’s hotel? An up-market hotel? Going boutique? I say this because your hotel did not gel as some do. Everything felt a little disconnected.
For those readers of my review, don’t get me wrong I would give this hotel 6.5/7 out of 10. I had an above average time but I came away thinking it could have been so much better.

Lets start with the good..

Rooms: My partner and I had a superior room that was amply proportioned, well presented, clean, great shower, wifi etc and a very comfortable bed … so top marks there

Food/ Restaurant: The surprise of the stay. The food was excellent, one of the best steaks I have eaten and I have had a few over the years. Ok the décor was a little stayed and please if I want to sit at a particular table please don’t tell me NO as it is laid for breakfast. This is not a Travelodge where I expect this kind of service. One last point please get smaller plates or bigger tables as your staff very difficult to plate with all the table clutter and please lose the American dinner type wooden menu boards.

The not so good…

Reception/Welcome: Come on guys this is THE most important aspect of your starting my customer experience. Key words that came to me was disinterested (not aimed at the particular girl on our first evening who was attentive and helpful), stoic, bored etc … and observed that there were a few occasions of guests hanging around in reception whilst the receptionist was in the restaurant.

Bar: bland, staff not great limited selection drinks. There are two bars at this hotel the 1846 bar and the so called sports bar. I will not even begin on the sports bar. Suffice to say lose it, it adds nothing to me as a guest and did not fit with your hotel. The 1846 bar lacked warmth and welcome so much so that we went to the Salamander (see my review) that was amazing and lessons could be learnt.

General: Taxi drivers use the gents loos at great frequency and to be frank I have seen cleaner better presented men’s toilets in football grounds … they need serious attention and a thorough clean.

Staff: overall felt a general lack of synergy and sense of team. Some staff could do with some training in reception and waiting but overall ok

Would I go back …. Well yes I would and accept the not so goods for the fact of the food and the location but would like to have a little more sense of wow when I do.

4  Thank Exeter66
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. We are a " 3 star" traditional family run hotel built by Brunel in 1846.
We have been running the Royal Hotel for 20 years during this time we have invested a considerable
amount of money.We have just had our annual unannounced visit from the " Hotel Inspector" and we
were awarded 3 stars plus a Silver Award for high quality of accommodation and customer service.
In addition we received a Breakfast Award for exceeding breakfast expectations.
The gent's toilet has just recently been retiled from floor to ceiling.All public areas are cleaned to a high standard which was reflected in the Inspectors report.
The duty receptionist was away from her desk in search of a missing key which a guest was convinced they had dropped it in the restaurant at the Royal Hotel.
My apologies if she appeared harassed or off hand. i can assure you Vicki is was one of the nicest
people you could wish to meet.
Tables should not be set up for breakfast until dinner is served and this was sloppy on our part.
It is not the standard practice.
The 1846 Bar was designed by Lesley Wihl who has been in the design business for many years.
It is very popular with residents and non residents.
The Clubhouse Bar is currently under review and we will agree a design in early 2012.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Hotel.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at the Royal for two nights with two other couples who we often go away with.
First impressions were that the hotel was ideally situated opposite the Station. Our room was clean & spacious with a decent bathroom.
The only slight problem on New Years Eve was that they staggered the dining times, due I think to the size of the kitchen or lack of sufficient staff. They were full to capacity (50 approx) & overflowed into the bar next door.
The evening went well & the 8 course meal was fine but there was only 1 glass of champers at midnight & not the half bottle advertised.
Wine choice was quite small but the prices competitive.
There was plenty of passing trade which made the atmosphere quite lively.
Parking was limited to 8 but the less expensive Station car park is close

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Thank you for your nice comments regarding New Years Eve.
Guests are seated on a staggered basis to ensure they are not left waiting at their table for food
Our wine list offers a choice of 22 wines to select from. This is reviewed every 12 months.
Champagne on New Years Eve is served to guests by the waiting staff and they are instructed to continually top up guests champagne glasses.
I apologise that you were not topped up more frequently and I will make it up to you next year or
on your next visit to the Royal.
Once again my sincere apologies.
Mike MacDermid