“Excellent Aniversary Break”

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent Aniversary Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We booked the Royal Hotel for a short break to celebrate our 10th wedding aniversary. The location was excellent for us as we travelled by train - directly opposite the station - with all the major shops across the road and stops for both bus sight-seeing tours (highly recomended) outside the door. The room was very nice, comfy bed and spotless bathroom. The staff were very helpfull. I had contacted them earlier in the week to arrange for flowers to be delivered and everything went very smoothly. Breakfast was very nice with a bit more choice than usual, including kippers - always a winner for me. When we go back to Bath we will certainly be stopping at the Royal again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ICB_Burton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Have just stayed for 2 days in this hotel. The decor is fresh and the staff are friendly and very professional. All the staff were wonderful from my initial call to reception to see if i could place a booking and we were able to also book car parking at the rear (only 6 spaces) which is not available if you book via a website. The restaurant staff were happy to bring more toast and coffee at Breakfast and more bread at the evening meal (to mop up the delicious sauce with the mussels). The rooms were clean and in good order with comfy beds. Even the cleaner was very friendly and happy with a lovely Scottish accent. They were able to accomodate my son's need (he has autism and a limited diet- which i arranged over the phone). One item of note was the fact there was also a cafetiere and tin of ground coffee in the rooms - a very nice touch! It is very central just across from the station so perfect if you are travelling by train. The hotel was designed by Brunel (of the Clifton Suspension bridge and SS Great Britain) so was another added attraction. It is close to the station and shops so ideal for tourism but this means it comes with some noise - but if you are booking a hotel in the middle of a city I would suggest that is to be expected. If you want peace and quiet you should be looking for somewhere in the country.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just returned from a weekend trip with friends and cannot find anything negative to say about this hotel. I found the service, staff and cleanliness of the rooms outstanding – the bathrooms are spotless (we had three rooms – so a reasonable cross section). The staff are warm, friendly and helpful and the food is excellent, very well cooked and presented. The hotel’s proximity to the station and all main attractions of Bath make it ideal for a weekend break without the need to drive, so ticked all boxes for us. We are already planning a return trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Royal Hotel in Bath and, unfortunately, were not very impressed. On the plus side, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. The reception staff were very friendly and it is in a central location.

However, I would suggest that the photos on the hotel website are rather misleading as the room we were allocated was absolutely tiny and the wallpaper was peeling a bit in places. The bathroom window didn't fit the frame properly and rain water had leaked inside soaking the bathroom floor causing a strong musty smell. The hotel is clearly poplular with hen and stag parties, so we definitely wouldn't recommend it for a quiet, relaxing break. We were kept awake most of the night by a hen party staying on our floor which the hotel seemed to do little to manage. The food at breakfast was ok, but my husband ordered some toast which arrived completely burnt. Overall, it definitely wasn't worth the money we paid and we wouldn't stay here again or recommend others to do so.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katy L
, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Guest
I was disappointed to read you were not impressed with The Royal.
Every room at The Royal is different in shape, size and design. Some are standard, superior or
Four poster rooms all at different price ranges.The one you saw on our website is a superior room,
which is larger than the standard room you stayed in. All rooms have been refurbished, as have the
shower/bathrooms and are continually maintained. I have checked the room with my maintenance man and we can find no trace of peeling wallpaper. The recent heavy downpours have caused the
bathroom window to swell thus causing seepage on to the bathroom floor during heavy rainfall.
This has now been rectified and I do apologise. Had we known about this issue , we would have dealt with it immediately. I can assure you we are not popular with hen or stag parties and we would
not knowingly accept such a party because of the fear that they may upset other guests.When you
called the night porter from your room to report noise, he dealt with it immediately and the noise
stopped.Once again may I apologise as you should not have had to do that.
I am baffled as to why your husband was served burnt toast at breakfast. All of our toasters are
programmed to toast at a medium level and all staff are instructed never to serve overcooked toast.
It did happen and it should not have and I do apologise.I am delighted that you found the staff friendly.
the hotel clean and the bed comfortable. I do hope that you will decide to give us another try should
you decide to revisit Bath.

Kind Regards

Mike MacDermid
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed overnight while on a driving tour and were very pleased with the well appointed room and bathroom with terrific modern shower. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Best thing though is the location to Bath shopping area and Roman baths all within an easy walk. Staff were friendly and arranged for us to leave our hire car in a designated parking spot at the rear of the hotel for a nominal fee. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Idleroam
essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights Mon and Tues. As previous reviews state, hotel staff friendly. We did a deal which included afternoon tea glass of champagne and entry to thermal spa. Afternoon tea=2 scones and cup of tea (bit disappointed), glass of champagne is what it is, and finally thermal spa=entry to 2 pools, one on roof one in doors and entry to steam capsules, we felt it was just entry to a swimming pool and a tad over priced. Had a great meal at Jamies Italian and well worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff here at The Royal Hotel.
With respect to your Spa break we offer a champagne cream tea here at the hotel as part of
the package. Included in our package are a selection of Twinings tea or fresh ground Lavazza coffee,homemade scones, Devon clotted cream and Frank cooper strawberry jam. The champagne is Taittinger, which is one of the top champagne houses in France.Also included in your 2 hour spa visit are complimentary towels, cotton slippers and a selection of quality toiletries, which are not offered by any other hotel of the same standard here in Bath.Our spa breaks are extremely popular and are perceived by the majority of guests as offering excellent value for money
and an enjoyable experience. As a Tourist destination, the Thermae Spa has brought considerably
more visitors to the beautiful city of Bath.

Kind Regards

Mike MacDermid
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

After having stayed frequently at Mercure, Novotel and Holiday Inn, me and my wife decided to forget about the points and choose a non-branded hotel for a change.We initially booked using hotels.com, then realized there was a great deal on the Royal Hotel website. We paid £268 for 2 nights in a superior double room, with breakfast on both days and a 3 course dinner for one night. The value for money according to me was quite impressive - the fact that the hotel is a 3 star should not be put into consideration, and I shall explain why.

When we arrived at the hotel, there was a bit of queue, but the reception staff was quite cooperative - arranged for the baggage to be dropped in without having to go through too much details or formalities or wait in queue. When we later arrived at our room, I was honestly impressed - size of room, decor, upholstery, complimentary items, welcome treats - you name it, it was there. In the last 2 years, I have had to literally live off hotels due to the nature of my work as a consultant, and I generally tend to find some sort of flaw within the first 15 minutes, or something that's missing. The room at Royal Hotel had all the stuff we needed for a 2 night relaxing break. Have a look at the bedroom photo(s) I have uploaded to see for yourself.

Other aspects of the hotel that are worth noting:
1. Brunel Brasserie - 9 / 10. Food is great, period. The only item I couldn't find in the continental buffet was cheese, but didn't bother asking. I'm sure they would've arranged. The staff are extremely polite, and speedy. The dessert menu has some pretty decent items too - try the white choc-box :)

2. Hotel Location - 6 / 10. The location is a bit controversial - you're literally opposite the train station, like 15 steps away !! Therefore, you benefit from things like - buses will always stop there, people always know which way it is to the station, city center is stone throw away, food courts etc etc. The flip side is experienced at night. Double glazing in the room keeps noise eliminated to absolute zero. That's when you feel too warm - open the window, noise wakes you up. My second night was carried out in this iteration till 3 am until I got too tired to stay awake. Which is when I realized the room comes with cotton wool to put in your ears !!!

3. Hotel staff - 10/10. The staff is really friendly and cooperative. We never had anything to complain about in the first place, but any additional request we made were addressed promptly. Asked for dinner plate, wifi password, salt shaker in room, extra soap, DVDs for the TV etc. In particular the staff who managed our booking over the phone was very helpful - cancelled the booking made via hotels.com, re-booked under their terms, gave accurate information about the deal.

All in all, we were extremely pleased with our stay at the Royal Hotel and are already planning another visit sometime in the winter before it starts snowing. I hope the hotel maintains their high standards.

Room Tip: Ask if any rooms are not opposite the train station i.e. towards the back of the hotel.